Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Staphyl

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
So I think it'll consist of all the rumors floating around.

Course they'll release the new iPod Touch and whatever other models they have in store. I'd like to see the iPod Touches adopt the unibody aluminum look. That'd keep the scratches lower, give it a fingerprint less back, and would unify the look of *Apple* more.

Maybe release the iPod/iPhone 3.1 OS. The augmented reality is awesome, especially since it'd work well if they added a camera into the iPod. Makes more sense and gives it more uses.

I think they'll release the date for the Tom Tom GPS kit for the iPod Touch/iPhone. Maybe. No guarantees.

iTunes 9 has to be released. No blu-ray will be added, but might be announced. Blu-ray would be a neat feature, but I can't see a use for it on a 13" - 15" screen. Facebook integration is cool, albeit kind of useless. Some App Store search improvements/refinements would certainly be nice! I dont think that DVD player will be discontinued because of iTunes. It'll be discontinued because of Quicktime X.

Hoping to see Steve Jobs, but probably wont. If he is, then it'll be only for a brief moment.

Doubt very seriously that Apple will release/announce the iPad/iTablet or whatever. They might *hint* at a future product release, but that could be the new iMac line. The iProd 1,1 sighting in the iPhone 3.1 firmware might be an addon for the iPhone/iPod Touch line for the RF readers that Apple submitted a patent for a while back. Just a thought.

You know, even if this is just a *music* event. Its been more geared towards the iPod/iTunes. Since the iPod and iTunes are becoming more multiuse, they gotta announce/introduce things that're non music oriented.

Yes, these are only guesses and my opinions.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I bet the social element is specifically to do with video sharing (maybe in conjunction with YouTube in some new way).

Adding video to any iPod is just a BIT odd, but I believe the Touch camera pictures are probably real. The camera Nanos MIGHT be real, which would be even weirder.

But if video isn't just "one more feature" but part of some other new service/function, then it makes more sense. And makes an interesting differentiator from any would-be competing MP3 players.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
It would make sense to intro the tablet/netbook in the new year only because the September event has traditionally been the iPod event. Apple has been known to break tradition though.

Here's what coming between now and January in order:

September: iPod Touch and Touch Nano with cameras and flash built-in and iTunes 9.0
November: All new iMac design with BTO options for blu-ray or SD slot. A dual hard disk option with software RAID 0 or 1 is also in the offering.
January: iPad with carrier plans from Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. Also the AppleTV 3.0 with blu-ray.

applealex

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
California
The Beatles will not come to iTunes

"In 1968, The Beatles formed a company called Apple Corps. It ended up being a financial disaster (except Apple Records, which is still around today). But when Apple Computers came around, they wrote up an agreement with Apple Records that would let them use their trademark, in exchange for $80,000. Also, as a condition, Apple Computers could never enter the music buisness, nor Apple Records enter the computer buisness.

But when iTunes came out, Apple Records sued, saying that they broke the conditions of their contract. Unfortunately for them, the judge sided with Apple Computers. Relations between the two companies broke down, and to make a long story short, The Beatles will not allow their music to go on iTunes."

this is what I was told when I asked on Y!A. Also:

"IMHO: The Beatles have ALWAYS maintained strict control of their music. They believe their albums should remain intact, and their singles remain with their "B" sides. iTunes and all those other services will allow people to download only the songs they want. It's a matter matter of integrity and creative control."

this can simply be solved by putting an "Album Only" stamp on all the songs which leads me to think Apple and The Beatles can't agree on pricing

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
"In 1968, The Beatles formed a company called Apple Corps. It ended up being a financial disaster (except Apple Records, which is still around today). But when Apple Computers came around, they wrote up an agreement with Apple Records that would let them use their trademark, in exchange for $80,000. Also, as a condition, Apple Computers could never enter the music buisness, nor Apple Records enter the computer buisness.

But when iTunes came out, Apple Records sued, saying that they broke the conditions of their contract. Unfortunately for them, the judge sided with Apple Computers. Relations between the two companies broke down, and to make a long story short, The Beatles will not allow their music to go on iTunes."

this is what I was told when I asked on Y!A. Also:

"IMHO: The Beatles have ALWAYS maintained strict control of their music. They believe their albums should remain intact, and their singles remain with their "B" sides. iTunes and all those other services will allow people to download only the songs they want. It's a matter matter of integrity and creative control."

this can simply be solved by putting an "Album Only" stamp on all the songs which leads me to think Apple and The Beatles can't agree on pricing
the beatles dont own most of their music anymore it was owned by michael jackson

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
But if they were going to launch Blu-ray support in iTunes they might well just update the optical drives to Blu-ray models - no other change to the hardware.

I guess that would work, but they would still have to label them MacBook Pro (Late 2009) and iMac (Late 2009)... right?

applealex

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
California
Steve

I'll once again ask, how did Steve Jobs have The Beatles on the iPhone when he did the first ever demo: Macworld 2007?

he had plenty of songs and even played 2

so if you all want The Beatles so bad why not use his method?

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Beatles on iTunes?

This is the same day as the release of The Beatles remastered catalog. Wouldn't it be great if we can finally buy it on iTunes.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
the beatles dont own most of their music anymore it was owned by michael jackson

Totally false. Jackson owned the PUBLISHING RIGHTS to the songs, meaning he made money whenever a singer made their own version of a Beatles song. He did not own the actual songs made by The Beatles; Apple Corps, the company set up by The Beatles themselves in 1968, owns them.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
I'll once again ask, how did Steve Jobs have The Beatles on the iPhone when he did the first ever demo: Macworld 2007?

It is easy enough to purchase a Beatles album (on CD) and "rip" it into iTunes. I expect Steve downloaded his Beatles from Napster :)

It would still be nice to be able to buy a specific song or album from iTunes. Not because it is the only option, but to allow another option.

geminidown

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Digital Downloaders

he had plenty of songs and even played 2

so if you all want The Beatles so bad why not use his method?

Because we've all been brainwashed* to understand that buying CD's is sooooo old school, and we've all accepted digital downloads as the method of obtaining music nowadays.

Someone gave me a CD as a gift last year, I imported into iTunes, then kinda wondered what to do with the CD. After a year of keeping it on the bookshelf, I trashed it. My entire music library was migrated to digital a few years ago, and I've never looked back. I kept a few CDs for nostalgia reasons, but ended up selling them to a thrift store not too long ago. Folks younger than I have never even held a CD and wonder what they are. People wanting the Beatles will either have to wait until they finally give in and release their digitally remastered tracks on iTunes, Amazon, etc., or wait until all the living members bite the dust and their inheritors release them, because that generation will understand the big picture with regards to the relationship between music and technology.

For all you other youngsters out there wanting Beatles stuff, go ask an old person. Maybe they have some of those odd discs around their house with music on it. LMAO. j/k ;););)

*where the term "brainwashed" translates to 'understanding the ease, beauty and convenience of downloading music

Back to our 9/9/09 fun:

new iPods, of course, cuz, hey, it's September. Wonder what else will be in store?!?!

applealex

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
California
It is easy enough to purchase a Beatles album (on CD) and "rip" it into iTunes. I expect Steve downloaded his Beatles from Napster :)

It would still be nice to be able to buy a specific song or album from iTunes. Not because it is the only option, but to allow another option.

I bet you all the songs will be "Album Only". reminds me of when the iTunes store was barely starting that U2 refused to let their songs be sold individually until Steve Jobs turned on the charm and it was done. But with the past tension of Apple Inc. VS Apple records (see my earlier post) I doubt The Beatles will let their songs be sold individually. the only songs I care about are "All you need is love" and "Yellow Submarine". "Hey Jude" sounds nice but I won't be buying the entire album

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
It's kind of like Fox News getting one of its anchors to say "I wonder if [insert outrageous and unfounded statement here]". Next thing you know, fox reporters are all saying "some are saying...", and the lie gets treated as sound reporting.

Because only Fox News does things like that. CNN and MSNBC are innocent, obviously. :confused:

applealex

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
California
Because we've all been brainwashed* to understand that buying CD's is sooooo old school, and we've all accepted digital downloads as the method of obtaining music nowadays.

Someone gave me a CD as a gift last year, I imported into iTunes, then kinda wondered what to do with the CD. After a year of keeping it on the bookshelf, I trashed it. My entire music library was migrated to digital a few years ago, and I've never looked back. I kept a few CDs for nostalgia reasons, but ended up selling them to a thrift store not too long ago. Folks younger than I have never even held a CD and wonder what they are. People wanting the Beatles will either have to wait until they finally give in and release their digitally remastered tracks on iTunes, Amazon, etc., or wait until all the living members bite the dust and their inheritors release them, because that generation will understand the big picture with regards to the relationship between music and technology.

For all you other youngsters out there wanting Beatles stuff, go ask an old person. Maybe they have some of those odd discs around their house with music on it. LMAO. j/k ;););)

*where the term "brainwashed" translates to 'understanding the ease, beauty and convenience of downloading music

Back to our 9/9/09 fun:

new iPods, of course, cuz, hey, it's September. Wonder what else will be in store?!?!

How many Beatles members are still alive again?

I thought it was all but I was told 3 of 4 died

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Folks younger than I have never even held a CD and wonder what they are. People wanting the Beatles will either have to wait until they finally give in and release their digitally remastered tracks on iTunes, Amazon, etc., or wait until all the living members bite the dust and their inheritors release them.

Quite honestly I doubt it, because it was Dhani Harrison, George's son, who is only around 30, that was quoted as saying the current pricing structure is the main reason The Beatles haven't come to iTunes yet. He was also the driving force behind The Beatles: Love project and The Beatles: Rock Band video game, so he's very much involved with it.

I'm 18 and got into The Beatles when I was only 9, without intervention from anyone else; I just found an old cassette lying around the house and listened to it (there you go, kids, a cassette is now even more abstract then a CD :p)...come a decade later and I have every single CD (even those horrible 'reunion' singles from the 90's), the official movie DVDs, the Anthology DVD set, most of their solo albums and plan on upgrading to the remasters and the Rock Band game in another month - not one single "old" person had anything to do with it, haha :p :D

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Totally false. Jackson owned the PUBLISHING RIGHTS to the songs, meaning he made money whenever a singer made their own version of a Beatles song. He did not own the actual songs made by The Beatles; Apple Corps, the company set up by The Beatles themselves in 1968, owns them.
And it was the other half of the publishing rights not originally owned by the Beatles themselves (n.b. not Lennon's publishing rights as commonly assumed). It's a complicated affair, and snopes.com has probably the best summary of how the situation unfolded here.

Ohgoodlord, can you imagine the bellyaching that would go on in the iTunes store reviews, blaming Apple and Teh Steve for "Album Only" songs? Apple should put a disclaimer on any "Album Only" or "Partial Album" releases in the iTunes store so the clueless fans would know who to be pissed off at.

On a similar subject, have you noticed how much cheaper the preorders are on Amazon.com vs. the going rate for the current CDs that were last remastered around 1990?

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
And Yoko, you mustn't forget Yoko :rolleyes:

That made me laugh, actually. I wonder if Steve uses Morpheus (P2P) to get all his Beatles songs. With the "only a sucker pays for music" mantra being...... oops! :eek:

I think the iPod Classic's going to the great MP3 player in the sky...

2iiddlj.jpg

As for the PP who predicted Steve Jobs would give his last keynote... this can pull double duty. ;) Given his liver transplant lack-of-transparency, I don't think we'll know of this for quite a while when it does happen.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Isn't the iPhone a tablet in itself ? What more do you want./ $#!t.... get a powerbook if you need more. A bigger iPhone is just a bigger toy

Thats a load of garbage. Some of you are so damned closed minded. There's so many points in my day when a tablet would be so much more comfortable and practical than my laptop, whether its watching a movie, viewing photos, showing things to others, or simply browsing the web or using the computer in a different position where a laptop is simply awkward and uncomfortable. And no, the iPhone isn't a 'tablet' simply before a frikkin 3.5' screen just doesnt cut it for extended use. Just because you can't see past your own specific circumstances, and can't see how thing kind of tablet would fit in other peoples lives, and you lack imagination, doesnt give you the right to put down those who would love to own one.

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
I said it back at E3, 9/9/09 expect the ENTRIE Beatles library to be on iTUNES. They are releasing all the albums remastered on CD. Beatles Rock Band releases. It is only fitting that they come to iTUNES. Things have changed big time with the Beatles and the way their music is used. Danny Harrison has been very influential with the surviving members and their families with getting the Rock Band game made and exposing the younger generations to The Beatles. So it only stnad to reason that THe Beatles come to iTunes.
Plus Paul needs the money :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.