Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cordell Ryan Kowalyk

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
I have IOS 14 running on my iPhone 7 Plus and has bad battery drain, does anyone else have this problem? Also does this update fix it?

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Look, Apple software has tons of bugs and not enough smart people to fix them. Just give them time and a new set of released hardware will create a different and new set of bugs and these will be forgotten.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
This reminds me of the fiasco with iOS13. Every week, there was a new patch ... 13.0.1, 13.0.2, etc., until it just became a joke and a major nuisance to try to keep up with Apple's rush-to-release patches. I gave up; yes, my iPhone is at 13.5.7, and I don't care anymore.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I need at least a .2 before I'd think about wasting my time with iOS 14. There's nothing in it I care about aside from security updates anyway, but I care about Apple Incompetence breaking the device I depend on.
if you don't like apple, you should switch to Android, there are never problems it is perfect. Seriously, if you don't like something, don't use it. Never been an android fan since my wife's phone would brick and I couldn't fix it (whereas I could on an iPhone - Admittedly that was a long time ago) I am still amazed at having used windows because of work that anyone would complain about anything on Apple. But hey, each to their own

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Ha, of course. I literally updated an iPad to 14.0 twenty minutes ago. It reset and turned on and told me that 14.0.1 was ready to download.
They literally pushed the update onto my device the day right before the next release.
This has happened on 13.5, 13.5.1, 13.6, 13.6.1, and 13.7.
So glad that they did not push 14.0 to it yet. (I swear that the Wi-Fi has been turned off when the charger was connected.)

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Health data still missing.
New data? your old data might just be gone, hard to see how an update would unerase old data. But I didn't experience that issue, all my data is there
[automerge]1600973121[/automerge]
They literally pushed the update onto my device the day right before the next release.
This has happened on 13.5, 13.5.1, 13.6, 13.6.1, and 13.7.
So glad that they did not push 14.0 to it yet. (I swear that the Wi-Fi has been turned off when the charger was connected.)
I select manual updates, any reason you could think of why?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Just goes to validate that old adage, if those things concern you, never be the first to update, give it a few days or weeks (or if it's MS, 6 months) and see how things are going.

Yup, I certainly do this. Especially with watchOS, which usually is very solid by the .2 and .3 releases. I'm going to stay on 6.x for some time.

At this point, Apple's various OS offerings are pretty mature. There's rarely a compelling reason to upgrade immediately, except for those times when there's a significant security bug which has been fixed.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Yeah, it's really hard to believe that any one-off task related to a new install should take even one day.

Some folks just are too ready to give Apple a pass. At this point, it's pretty obvious that Apple doesn't prioritize battery life with new major releases (it's especially noticeable with watchOS).

Always the same lame excuses ??‍♂️

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Look, Apple software has tons of bugs and not enough smart people to fix them. Just give them time and a new set of released hardware will create a different and new set of bugs and these will be forgotten.
Actually, 14.0 has been one of the most stable releases in years.
14.0.1 is one of the smallest bug fix releases that I’ve seen in a while. Compare this to last year, when 13.1 came out four days after 13.0.

AppleFan1179

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
Just a warning. Something with this update has really screwed up my AirPods Pro. Anytime my screen turns on, it reminds me my AirPods are connected. In addition, it's sometimes just making the "connected" noise. On one of my iPads, I'm getting a headphones icon as if my AirPods are connected to that particular device, as opposed to my iPhone that's actually providing the audio source. Not sure if this update is the culprit, but it started literally as soon as I finished updating my phone.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Just a warning. Something with this update has really screwed up my AirPods Pro. Anytime my screen turns on, it reminds me my AirPods are connected. In addition, it's sometimes just making the "connected" noise. On one of my iPads, I'm getting a headphones icon as if my AirPods are connected to that particular device, as opposed to my iPhone that's actually providing the audio source. Not sure if this update is the culprit, but it started literally as soon as I finished updating my phone.
Try removing your AirPods completely, then adding them again. This new release is supposed to manage AirPods better than iOS 13.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Hmmm … Hopefully there's a patch that convinces me that this home screen thing is really not just an added complication, esp. when all my most used apps are already easily accessible on my first screen app panel.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
I have IOS 14 running on my iPhone 7 Plus and has bad battery drain, does anyone else have this problem? Also does this update fix it?
I have the same problem both on my iPhone 7 and on my original SE. From 100% to 0% overnight. Overnight means they are UNUSED because I’m sleeping.
And I tried everything i could think of and every advice from the web. My only hope is this update. I will surely know in a few hours.
Funny thing is I have no such problem with my iPads

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
I have no reboot issues. Should I be worried about something?

AppleFan1179

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
Try removing your AirPods completely, then adding them again. This new release is supposed to manage AirPods better than iOS 13.

I've been running 14 since the beta. This only started with 14.0.1. I'm going to try this yes, but just warning others before they update, since 14.0.1 might be the issue.

evatar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
I care only about the battery drain issue.

iOS 13.X - end of work day @ 55%–65%
iOS 14.0 - end of work day @ 20%–35%

OMG this, this THIS!!!! It's extraordinary how bad the battery management went into the toilet upgrading from iOS 12 to iOS13. I can't believe Apple hasn't addressed this in iOS 14. What the living hell is going on over there in that f'n space building of theirs? Do they even *care* anymore?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.