Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 6.2.8, the 10th update to the watchOS 6 operating system that runs on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 6.2.8 comes a month after the launch of watchOS 6.2.6, a security update.

watchos6ewatchfaces.jpg

watchOS 6.2.8 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated ‌Apple Watch‌ app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌iPhone‌.

watchOS 6.2.8 introduces Car Key, a feature also available on the iPhone with iOS 13.6. Car Key is designed to allow an iPhone or an Apple Watch to be used in lieu of a physical key to unlock an NFC-enabled vehicle.

Car Key needs to be implemented by car manufacturers to function, and BMW is one of Apple's first partners. BMW's Digital Key for iPhone feature will let iPhone owners tap to unlock their vehicles, start the car by placing the iPhone in the smartphone tray, place limitations on young drivers, and share keys with up to five other users.

Car Key will work in a wide range of BMW models, including the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, X5, X6, X7, X5M, X6M and Z4 if manufactured after July 1st 2020. An Apple Watch Series 5 or newer is required, as is the watchOS 6.2.8 update.

No other new features were found during the watchOS 6.2.8 beta testing period, and according to Apple's release notes, the update also brings ECG support and irregular heart rate notifications to Bahrain, Brazil, and South Africa.
watchOS 6.2.8 includes new features and improvements:
- Adds support for digital car keys for Apple Watch Series 5
- ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later now available in Bahrain, Brazil, and South Africa
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications now available in Bahrain, Brazil, and South Africa
watchOS 6.2.8 will be one of the last updates to the watchOS 6 operating system that will be retired later this year in favor of watchOS 7, new software announced at WWDC.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 6.2.8 With Car Keys Support

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
What the heck? It stopped in the middle of downloading. Says “Paused. You can resume downloading when you are connected to WiFi”. I am connected to WiFi.

move tried reset network settings, on/off again, close app/open. Nothing will get it to continue.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Reactions: ediks
Comment

jazz1

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Even though I hate my Jeep's giant car fob (it presses on my Tile iPhone/iPad finder and sets it off as I drive with it in my pocket), I'm still not seeing the big value in this. Is it really that much better than a fob? Well I guess I won't find out anytime soon unless it goes retro to my 2019 Jeep ;)

Comment

StuBeck

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Even though I hate my Jeep's giant car fob (it presses on my Tile iPhone/iPad finder and sets it off as I drive with it in my pocket), I'm still not seeing the big value in this. Is it really that much better than a fob? Well I guess I won't find out anytime soon unless it goes retro to my 2019 Jeep ;)

I have a touch pad entry to my house, and my car has keyless entry and start, so it could be useful if all I had to do was bring my watch or phone with me and not my keys.

But I'm not buying a new car for this, especially not a BMW, and I'm not asking about the exact date a car I'm about to buy was made either.

Reactions: jazz1
Comment

WerrieHerrie

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
Well, I installed it, in South Africa and ecg app say its not supported in my region.......🤔🤔

Comment

FishyFish

macrumors demi-god
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
watchOS 6.2.8 is working like a dream here! The beta program was just excellent this time around, and the final version of the software feels like the smoothest version of watchOS ever. Congratulations, Apple!

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Reactions: Babygotfont
Comment

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
What the heck? It stopped in the middle of downloading. Says “Paused. You can resume downloading when you are connected to WiFi”. I am connected to WiFi.

move tried reset network settings, on/off again, close app/open. Nothing will get it to continue.

Thoughts? Ideas?
i have the same problem , its been 4 hours

• Haha
Comment

deathnite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Europe
ECG app is now at version 1.90.

watchOS 5.1.2: ECG app v1.1 (initial US release)
watchOS 5.1.3: ECG app v1.2
watchOS 5.2.0: ECG app v1.10 (now available in Europe and Hong Kong)
watchOS 5.2.1: ECG app v1.13 (additional European countries)
watchOS 5.3.0: ECG app v1.18 (now available in Canada and Singapore)
watchOS 5.3.1: ECG app v1.18
watchOS 6.0.0: ECG app v1.30
watchOS 6.0.1: ECG app v1.30
watchOS 6.1.0: ECG app v1.50
watchOS 6.1.1: ECG app v1.51
watchOS 6.1.2: ECG app v1.51
watchOS 6.2.0: ECG app v1.70 (now available in Chile, New Zealand, and Turkey)
watchOS 6.2.1: ECG app v1.70
watchOS 6.2.5: ECG app v1.80 (now available in Saudi Arabia)
watchOS 6.2.6: ECG app v1.80
watchOS 6.2.8: ECG app v1.90 (now available in Bahrain, Brazil, and South Africa)

Comment

jeflam

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Still no availability in Australia, even though New Zealand have the capability.
Nobody seems to want to resolve this issue (Apple or Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration).
Come on guys, get your figure out...

• Haha
Comment

amssullivan28

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
Gold Coast, Australia
Still no availability in Australia, even though New Zealand have the capability.
Nobody seems to want to resolve this issue (Apple or Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration).
Come on guys, get your figure out...
Indeed-Apple declined to comment to Gizmodo about this, yet Apple did receive approval for several medical devices bring used at stores with the TGA-made by third-party companies but supplied by Apple.

• Wow
Comment

Blowback

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2018
VA

Thoughts? Ideas?
Check battery level or if its set to update when recharging / during sleep. Batt level has to be a certain percentage.

• Haha
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.