Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Borderlands is awesome !
I agree 100%. I just finished the last tournament in "Mad Moxxi" over the weekend, and now have every achievement. The game is a ton of fun, and ramps up to spectacular levels with 4-player co-op. I can't wait for the 4th DLC and would love to see a Borderlands 2 at some point.

9ql9np.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think Brick was my most surprising character to play. I didn't think he would be any fun to use, but with your skill points put to good use, he can be an absolute riot to play. Put points into shortening his cooldown and also extending his "Berserk" and he just DESTROYS everything. Tons of fun.

I love how he mumbles when he s berserking... ;)

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
That is very true..alot of people dont know that when you extend his berserk and add some acid punches he is lethal...actually it could even be a cheat

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I really love Mordecai. He has a couple skills that can be used to great effect with his pet Bloodwing.

• 5 points - Swift Strike
  • 5 points - Aerial Impact
  • 5 points - Bird of Prey
  • 5 Points - Predator
  • 5 points - Carrion Call

Swift Strike makes Bloodwing move faster and do more damage. Aerial Impact, with 5 points, will daze every enemy he strikes. Bird of Prey increases the number of attack targets to 6. Predator reduces his cooldown to about 15 seconds. And finally, Carrion Call reduces the cooldown by 4 seconds every time you hit an enemy with a sniper rifle.

What made this amazing was my Hyperion Invader sniper rifle. When you scope in, it fires a 5 round burst. So with the 4 second cooldown per shot for Bloodwing, it can reduce the cooldown instantaneously. Which is awesome. Every time I went into a battle, I would lead by throwing Bloodwing. He would kill many enemies, aside from the Badass types. Then I would just shoot at them with the Invader, allowing my to instantly throw Bloodwing when he returned. Great fun.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I'm on level 32 today out of 50 and have found 2 more alien guns...
Technically, the level cap is 61, but only if you have the "General Knoxx" DLC. Which brings me to this...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/21/borderlands-dlc-discounted-for-xbox-live-deal-of-next-week/

...Next week all 3 of the DLCs are going to be half off on the XBLM. I've already bought all of them, but just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone was waiting. All 3 of those for $15 total is a great deal.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Technically, the level cap is 61, but only if you have the "General Knoxx" DLC. Which brings me to this...

I have a ques. im at level 33 now and i have reached the final boss (destroyer)
is that normal i thought the cap was at 50,i heard someone else say the cap is at 47...which one is it?

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I have a ques. im at level 33 now and i have reached the final boss (destroyer)
is that normal i thought the cap was at 50,i heard someone else say the cap is at 47...which one is it?
Yes, that is normal. On all of my playthroughs, I've always been somewhere in the 32-36 range when reaching the end.

The level cap of the original game is 50. You can't get there on your first time playing through the game though. After you beat the final boss, if you load up your save again it will ask if you want to continue on "Playthrough 1" of if you want to start "Playthrough 2". If you start PT2, you will start the game over, but you will still be at your high level and all of the enemies will now be much higher level to match. That way you can continue to play and reach the original 50 level cap.

If you download "General Knoxx" the level cap will be increased to 61.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Yes, that is normal. On all of my playthroughs, I've always been somewhere in the 32-36 range when reaching the end.

The level cap of the original game is 50. You can't get there on your first time playing through the game though. After you beat the final boss, if you load up your save again it will ask if you want to continue on "Playthrough 1" of if you want to start "Playthrough 2". If you start PT2, you will start the game over, but you will still be at your high level and all of the enemies will now be much higher level to match. That way you can continue to play and reach the original 50 level cap.

Ok im alittle confused..so what you are saying is that the games "main" misson caps out at the destroyer but there still is "side" missions to accomplish in order to make to level 50..am i right :confused:???

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Ok im alittle confused..so what you are saying is that the games "main" misson caps out at the destroyer but there still is "side" missions to accomplish in order to make to level 50..am i right :confused:???

Even if you complete all side missions on your first play-through, you'll still probably be only around level 40. You can go back to all the areas you've been to before and kill normal monsters, but you won't have any missions to complete and you'll gain XP slowly. Instead, start a second play-through - as SevenInchScrew said, you'll start a whole new game, but at your high level and against similarly high-level enemies. You'll easily get to level 50 by the completion of the second play-through.

The Knoxx DLC raises the level cap to 61. Do not start Knoxx unless you're at level 35 for the first play-through or 50 for the second. You'll get your butt kicked otherwise.

You can swap between Knoxx and the normal game at will, btw.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
So essentially its as if you never leveled up at all, because the enemies have also leveled up? Hmm, not generally a fan of that happening...

That's what i was thinking...so i guess i finished the game...by the way i'm not a fan of DLC...it was a excellent game,i just need to beat the destroyer

By the way...Batman/Arkham asylum is the same way,you finish the main missions at 70 % but there are still some side missions left

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Yes, once you beat the Destroyer, the main game is done. But, if you have any other side missions that you haven't completed, you can still go back and do them at that point. But yes, if you do every single mission, you will finish somewhere around level 36.
The Knoxx DLC raises the level cap to 61. Do not start Knoxx unless you're at level 49 or 50. You'll get your butt kicked otherwise.
You can do Knoxx during both playthroughs, you just need to finish the game first. If you start Knoxx on Playthrough 1, the first missions will be around level 35. If you start it on Playthrough 2, the first missions will be level 50.
So essentially its as if you never leveled up at all, because the enemies have also leveled up? Hmm, not generally a fan of that happening...
That's what i was thinking...so i guess i finished the game...
I always looked at it like the game just didn't end. Yes, you will be doing the same missions again, but you will just continue to level up and continue fighting harder enemies and bosses. But along with that, you will start to gain MUCH higher level equipment. Pretty much none of the stuff you get in Playthrough 1 is really all that good. But, once you start Playthrough 2, you will start to find much higher level guns, shields, class mods, etc. The loot in the game was one of the main things that kept me coming back, so getting that higher-level stuff was great for me.
by the way i'm not a fan of DLC...it was a excellent game,i just need to beat the destroyer
That is a bummer, because the DLC for this game is really excellent. The Zombie one is super fun and hilarious, while Knoxx is just awesome. It is very long, and has a ton of new enemies to fight.

And continuing my point from earlier, when you get the Knoxx DLC, it not only raises the level cap to 61, but it also gives you even MORE high level gear. To give that some perspective, I have a sniper rifle that does 1500 damage, a revolver that does 1200, and a shotgun that does 240x12. Those are just some of my good stuff, but you get the idea. The equipment at the higher levels of the game is sweet.
Well, you get more advanced weapons because of your higher level.
And you get more skill points so you can max out more abilities.
Yes, that as well. Every time you level, you gain those valuable skill points. If you only play the game to end of Playthrough 1, you will never get enough skill points to unlock some of the great skills and powers. With my maxed out character, it is just awesome having all those skill points to play with and experiment with different techniques and modes of play.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
I have a sniper rifle that does 1500 damage, a revolver that does 1200, and a shotgun that does 240x12. Those are just some of my good stuff, but you get the idea. The equipment at the higher levels of the game is sweet.

1500 damage, holy moly :eek:

SevenInch--thank you for the good explanation,i get it now

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
1500 damage, holy moly :eek:
Yea, and that is just the base damage of the gun, before you take into account my skills and all the critical hit bonuses. It can do almost 7,000 with a critical hit :D
SevenInch--thank you for the good explanation,i get it now
No prob. It was confusing for me as well, since I didn't know what I was doing at first. But now, after spending many, MANY hours playing this game, I have a pretty good grasp of things, so I'm glad I could pass on some knowledge and help.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/21/borderlands-dlc-discounted-for-xbox-live-deal-of-next-week/

...Next week all 3 of the DLCs are going to be half off on the XBLM. I've already bought all of them, but just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone was waiting. All 3 of those for $15 total is a great deal.

Is Underdome coop like the others or is it multiplayer fighting each other?
Thanks!

I've never seen a 1500 damage weapon. Is that a function of high character level or cooping with 4 people? Most of my game play has been 2 coop.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Is Underdome coop like the others or is it multiplayer fighting each other?
It is either solo or co-op, just like the rest of the game, with you and whoever else is in your party fighting waves of enemies. There are 3 different arenas that you battle in, with a short and long "Tournament" for each of them. The "Short" tournament consists of 5 rounds, while the "Long" one is 20 rounds. Each round is made up of 5 waves. During each of these waves, Moxxi will set different modifiers, like lower gravity, higher enemy shields, extra sniper damage, etc. The goal, obviously, is to reach the end of the tournament.

The one downside to this DLC is that you gain no XP while fighting there, so that kind of stinks. But, they make up for it by giving you 2 extra skill points for completing all of the tournaments. They also let you buy a "Bank" where you can store items from your backpack, if you need the space. By the time I was nearing the end of Playthrough 2 with my main character, my backpack was getting quite full. The bank solved that quite nicely. A simple fast-travel to the Underdome to swap items, and then fast-travel back. Piece of cake.

Of the 3 DLCs, it is my least favorite, but the extra skill points and the bank almost make it worth it. Especially with the sale going on right now. I would easily spend $5 for that.
I've never seen a 1500 damage weapon. Is that a function of high character level or cooping with 4 people? Most of my game play has been 2 coop.
That is just a factor of the gun being a level 61 Orange sniper rifle. The higher your level, the more rare and usually more damaging weapons you will find. In Playthrough 1, you can find some ok stuff, but nothing to get real excited about. Playthrough 2 will start to give you some better stuff by the time you near the end at around level 45 or so. But, if you finish Playthrough 2, and then continue on into the "General Knoxx" DLC, that is where you will start finding the really good stuff.

I have a bunch of different sniper rifles, ranging from 800-900 damage with added 4X elemental effects, all the way up to 1300-1500 standard ones. I have a Helix rocket launcher, that shoots 3 rockets at once, all doing over 1200 damage with 4X corrosion. And that pistol I mentioned earlier, it's a 4X corrosive with a massive scope that just tears up the Crimson Lance jerks. And that is not even taking into account all my awesome high-level shields, class mods, grenade mods, etc.

The game is really good at continuously giving you slightly better stuff, so you want to keep playing to find more. And the fact that it is all randomly generated adds to it, since you never know what you're going to find. But really, the key is to just keep playing. The further you get, level-wise, the better the gear you will find. The game also ups the rarity of items the more co-op people there are, so that helps too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
SIS- Thanks for the info! We reached a point where it was Playthrough 2 or start new classes. Right now we are doing playing the new characters. In the end, I don't think it matters that much the strength of your weapons as they match your level and the level of the mobs you'll fight. I do love 1 or 2 shot kills though.

We did learn, not to go to Zombie Island as Level 20s. :D

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Ok so i finally beat the destroyer today...the secret is to use the alien gun with the lighting affect to kill him BUT then the girl told me that i have to wait 200 years to open the vault...WTF !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.