iPad Pro Bright spot on iPad Pro 10.5 screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marmiteturkey, Apr 14, 2018.

1. stalf macrumors newbie

This particular problem faces an even harder uphill battle, as we represent a very small portion of iPads sold, as the 10,5 is less than 2 years old and has been facing competition from the cheaper iPad and now, the buttonless ones. Even if this affected every 10.5 iPad Pro ever released, we'd still be just a few.

I think that's the main this issue hasn't gotten more traction on tech blogs. I think our only hope rests on a class-action suit, which could take years.

2. hr10 macrumors regular

Right
    If it’s Iphone it will be a different story

3. ivanputeraa macrumors newbie

ivanputeraa

ABSOLUTELY agree. Apple won't fix this problem if we don't make this as a class lawsuit after all.

4. yannis.hatzi macrumors newbie

yannis.hatzi

Agreed but I would like to point that the same problem occurs to some 12.9 models and some older 9.7 Pros also.
    I am trying to say...that we are already too many affected in this thread alone. If we join forces...we are more than enough. Don't forget the case of one man against the Monsanto mega-corp.

5. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

10.5 owners do u still advise buying this model?
    Or better skip?

6. hr10 macrumors regular

I wouldn’t pay full retail for it
    If you happen to find a deal for a used one with warranty go for it!

7. Saschafromgermany2 macrumors newbie

I would skip it, because when you have this issue on your pad, you have to call, to run, to discuss all the things.
    And then you get a new one and maybe after 6 month the issue comes back and all from beginning.

8. stalf macrumors newbie

I'd skip it, maybe buying last year's US$ 329,00 iPad or waiting for this year's version.
    I'm still waiting for my credit card company to acknowledge my extended warranty claim, and I'm sure it'll happen again.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2019 ---
    I'd really like to find a way for us to join forces, but this thread contains posts from all around the globe. Suing Apple on each of our countries seems pratically impossible.
    Isn't there something else we can do that'd shame them on facing this issue?

9. yannis.hatzi, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019

yannis.hatzi macrumors newbie

yannis.hatzi

10. yannis.hatzi macrumors newbie

yannis.hatzi

Update for the European iPadPro owners:

You are entitled to claim the renewal of the 2 year product guarantee...for your replacement device also!

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/greece/index_en.htm

"Is the repaired/replaced product covered by a new guarantee?
    Yes, a new 2-year guarantee is given if the product was repaired or replaced as long as the seller made the repair or replacement under the original legal guarantee and not out of goodwill."

You can apply for a formal legal action here:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...-resolution/formal-legal-actions/index_en.htm

11. Khaleal macrumors member

My first gen iPad Pro 12.9 developed the same issue, white spot 2 inches above the home button. already out of warranty.

12. ivanputeraa macrumors newbie

ivanputeraa

So, what I understand right now are:
    1. People who bought the IPP 10.5” and didn’t buy AppleCare then got this problem are the most suffer. Pray for Apple to acknowledge this issue and give us free repair.
    2. In EU, the same case as no. 1, just go to the Apple Store and ask for the 2 years consumer law protection to replace the IPP, even we didin’t buy the AppleCare.
    3. The same case as no. 1, for those who bought it using CC, can replace or refund their IPP for free.

No 2 and 3 are quite easy. But for those who got the no. 1, any suggestions?

13. Donka macrumors 68030

Donka

Go in and speak to them, be polite and courteous and refer them to this thread. Mention how you have really looked after your device and it now appears to have some inherent flaw that is spoiling your use of the iPad.

14. ivanputeraa macrumors newbie

ivanputeraa

Thank you for your suggestion, but I already spoke to three stores, including the official Apple Store, authorized reseller, and etc and still got the same answer. Yeah, to pay that expensive screen damage. I even already said that I am a student, so I don’t have much money to replace anything right now. So sad about this. Currently I live in Taiwan, and fortunately Taiwan has one Apple Store in Taipei, but their answer still the same. I shame to come there asking the same questions and meet with the same manager, and don’t forget that I have to spend my money just for transport and time to wait for the reservation.

I really hope Apple fix this. Really sad and disappointed, but what I can do?

15. philwang83 macrumors newbie

philwang83

When I brought my iPad in, the Genius told me to contact Apple corporate because they have more latitude on offering up replacements. That said, I did call in and explain the situation, but they did not ultimately offer to fix my iPad or give me a replacement iPad.

Good luck if you decide to call in. 加油!

16. ivanputeraa macrumors newbie

ivanputeraa

Is it possible that if I come more than once and speak to them, they would reconsider their own policy? I already booked another Genius Bar schedule on the 1st Feb though. Does anyone has some unique experience of how Apple decide to allow to repair in a very urgent and special case? I appreciate any help from anyone... Thank you.

17. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I went ahead and bought another 10.5 on sale at Best Buy today. Of course, AC too. I’ll deal with anything that comes up if it comes up. Mom needs the 2018 iPad I bought for her last year, and I need more RAM.

I hope Apple will exchange everyone’s 10.5 iPad Pros.

18. philwang83 macrumors newbie

philwang83

It can't hurt to try. Try escalating to the manager and show him/her this thread, the Reddit thread(s), the MacRumors article, whatever you can find. The worst they can say is no and you'll only be out the time spent at the store. Good luck.

19. YodasMaster macrumors regular

I emailed Tim Cook. Not expecting a response, but it’s worth a try.

20. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I did it a few months ago ( I included a link to this tread ) when I had the problem with my iPad and as expected had no response . It never hurts to try ;-)

21. mcaswell macrumors regular

Either be sure to get Applecare (ugh), or perhaps buy with a credit card that extends the standard warranty.

22. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

From reading this thread I can see this is kind of a widespread problem.
    I have the opportunity to buy a 14 month old 10.5 Pro.
    It is already out of warranty.
    Is it a huge risk?
    Like will it almost for certain develop this issue and then since it is out of warranty I am screwed?

23. sparksd macrumors 68000

It is really difficult to determine the prevalence of a problem from reading a forum like this. I've had my 10.5 for 14 months and it has zero indication of this.

24. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

Does the bright spot becomes bigger if u dont replace?
    Does it affect touch screen sensitivity?

25. ivanputeraa macrumors newbie

ivanputeraa

Thanks! I will try once more and will update it here