Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020

Due to production issues at Apple supplier factories in China, the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are backordered and basically out of stock at every store. If you were planning to gift or receive an iPhone 14 Pro model for the holidays and didn't already get one, you're basically out of luck because they're gone until late December.

In fact, with the iPhone 14 Pro delays and rumors of some very enticing features for the high-end iPhone 15 models, you may just want to wait until September 2023 to upgrade. We've outlined some of the features that you can expect, which may just be new additions you want to hold out for.

iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Ultra

Part of the reason that the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are so in demand this year is that Apple packed them full of features the standard iPhone 14 models just didn't get. Faster processors, better cameras, and the Dynamic Island make the iPhone 14 Pro far more appealing than the iPhone 13-like iPhone 14 models, and the same trend will continue for the iPhone 15 Pro.

In fact, Apple may ramp things up even further by giving the iPhone 15 Pro Max a better feature set than the iPhone 15 Pro, and rumors suggest that it could even get a name to reflect the change - iPhone 15 Ultra. If you like the latest and greatest, it might be worth waiting for Apple's highest-end iPhone to date.

USB-C

The entire iPhone 15 lineup is expected to transition to USB-C instead of Lightning in 2023, so if you're a fan of using a single charger for your Mac, iPhone, and iPad, the iPhone 15 models will be appealing.

Apple is making this change to comply with a European law that requires smartphones and electronics to use a common charger, but it wouldn't make sense for the company to create a USB-C iPhone just for one region, so customers worldwide will benefit.

All iPhone 15 models will get USB-C, but rumors right now suggest that the iPhone 15 Pro models will support higher-speed data transfers. If, for example, Apple integrates Thunderbolt 3 support into the iPhone 15 Pro models, transfer speeds could hit 40Gb/s. With just USB 3.2, we can expect 20Gb/s speeds.

Faster A17 Processor

The A16 was limited to the iPhone 14 Pro models, and the A17 is expected to be exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro models. The A17 could be the first chip built on TSMC's next-generation 3-nanometer node, which would allow for increased performance and reduced power consumption.

Periscope Camera Lens

Apple is working on improved optical zoom enabled through periscope lens technology, which could be limited to the iPhone 15 Ultra. Periscope lenses are expensive and take up space, which is why Apple might use it as motivation to get people to spring for the highest-end iPhone.

With periscope lens technology, Apple could offer as much as 10x optical zoom, up from 3x in the current iPhone 14 Pro models. Other manufacturers like Samsung have implemented these longer-range telephoto lenses, pairing it with digital zoom for impressive 100x zoom capabilities.

Solid State Buttons

The iPhone 15 Pro models could get additional Taptic Engines that would facilitate solid-state volume and power buttons that feel like buttons, but actually aren't. This is the technology that Apple uses for the MacBook Pro's touchpad, so it feels like you're pressing down on a button, but there's no physical button press mechanism.

This is a feature rumored for the iPhone 15 Pro models and it could allow for additional features when pressing certain buttons and it could improve water resistance, though just how the solid state buttons will be taken advantage of remains to be seen.

Other Rumors

There are other rumors about the iPhone 15 Pro models, some of which are more reliable than others. Here's what we've heard:
  • More durable titanium chassis.
  • Curved rear edges that replace the existing squared off design.
  • Qualcomm 5G modem chip.
  • No Touch ID fingerprint sensor.
  • No under-display Face ID.
Read More

Want to keep up with everything that's expected for the iPhone 15? Follow our iPhone 15 roundup, which we update regularly as new rumors come out.

Article Link: Can't Get an iPhone 14 Pro? Here's Why You Should Wait for the iPhone 15 Ultra
I noticed that since April 2020, Apple has offered 14 new different iPhone models and 1 new M-chip iMac model. If Apple just released one iPhone model annually (named by year), would they go bankrupt?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't mind if they have a model above the Pro line, but can we please please have these features in a reasonably sized phone? I don't want to have to get a giant phone to have all of the latest features.
the trend started 8 years ago when iPhone 6 Plus was released. There’s no turning back now.
What if I don’t want the biggest phone for all the features?
Well, people want their phone to do EVERYTHING. And gigantic screen is the best approach To satisfy that.
I'll still owe on my 14 Pro by the time the 15 Ultra comes out.
Sad. And someone would still owe 14 Pro when 16 Ultra comes out.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm baffled why someone would upgrade just because it has a different charging port.

Yeah it will be great, but it's well down the pecking order on reasons to upgrade, surely? It's just a bloody charging port that Apple will no doubt cripple with USB 2.0 speeds on the non-Pro phones, just like they did with the brand new 10th gen iPad. I'm sure they'll gimp it on the Pro's as well. It's what Apple do as they want people to pay for extra iCloud storage.
Oh extra iCloud storage you say. apple’s server isn’t top quality either. Do they have unlimited bandwidth? Or every single drive in their server farm is high end nvme ssd? Or are they using their Apple Silicon to power those servers? We may never know the answer of any above, but from my experience, I‘d not hold my breath.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I'm baffled why someone would upgrade just because it has a different charging port.

Yeah it will be great, but it's well down the pecking order on reasons to upgrade, surely? It's just a bloody charging port that Apple will no doubt cripple with USB 2.0 speeds on the non-Pro phones, just like they did with the brand new 10th gen iPad. I'm sure they'll gimp it on the Pro's as well. It's what Apple do as they want people to pay for extra iCloud storage.
It's a huge upgrade for me.

I travel a lot and I'm incredibly tired of having to carry three different cable types (iPhone, Apple Watch and MacBook Pro). It's just one more thing to forget when I'm in a rush to get out the door.

Not to mention that a number of people I know use Android; it be nice to charge at their house and vice versa.

Reactions: Agile55

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
However, my wife will often comment whenever she picks up my phone how light it is compared to hers, and I get the distinct impression that she is trying to decide whether it was worth getting the Pro with the extra weight in order to have optical zoom. Ultimately, I think she returns to be secure in her decision, but she gets those doubts from time to time.
I'm in that same position. I hate how heavy/thick the pro version has gotten. However I don't hate it enough that I'm willing to give up optical zoom and 120hz display (tough to go back once you're used to it).

inigou

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
I have a better advice. Wait until iPhone 16. Will be better in every aspect.
Or better, iPhone 17 that will have more improvements…
What an article…. 😆

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I was about to get the 14 pro max after my 11 pro max died suddenly… but then my job gave me a corporate iphone 14 plus. I still plan to get a personal iphone, but I will wait for the 15 Ultra pro or whatever they’re gonna call it.

Reactions: Agile55

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Am I missing something?
Cut them slack. People forget, and it’s fine. ;)
Are you really that pedantic? It came out in 2021. We're talking about the iPhone 15, which would make the 13 two generations old. 🙄
Oh wow two generations old. So technically “several” (aka more than one year) years old. :rolleyes:
But whatever. you do you.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
lol here goes the saving account. USB-c isn't worth the wait since I don't care about plugging the cord into the phone. The price will be crazy.

Reactions: compwiz1202

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
IMO the most important feature now is to get rid of the camera bump. It’s getting out of hand. Side bonus would be better zoom, etc.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
I have the 14 Pro Max and am always waiting for the next one! I don't understand the logic of skipping things to 'wait'. I've had every single iphone since the original on launch day, no sense in changing that now.
I and my large number of Apple stock shares thank you deeply. You may pass.

• Haha
Reactions: lazyrighteye

Neil Harrison

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
For the first time in years I may decide not to upgrade… USB C is so Meh to me as I never charge with a plug in cable. The other rumours don’t seem like an upgrade

Reactions: JapanApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.