Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I bet if a lot of you didn't KNOW it was heavier, you would not be saying anything about the extra weight.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Well pick a sacrifice then!!!

It's either sacrifice some weight, or sacrifice battery life?

As I use my iPad away from power sources a lot I for one am happy that it still has the same battery life as my iPad 1 whilst giving me a multitude of superb new features.

Your post made me think of Steve Jobs, I miss him..:(

Right when workers thought they did the absolutely best, Steve Jobs would have said keep the weight the same and make no sacrifices, he just had a way of getting people to do the impossible. So many times in the past people said, well this the best we can do and they did do better because of him. Regardless, I will always remember him when things like this arise... And really think he would have pulled off some added miracles prior to manufacturing.

I would have made this sacrafice, weight doesn't really bother me, so agree with you outside of wondering what would have happened if.

I think in the long run the heat may be more noticeable to me, I don't think anything could prevent that. Could be nice in the winter since my hands get cold:D

Jonesy76

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Norwich
Havent noticed any heat in mine so far (64GB wifi only) but then again I haven't yet tried any of the more advanced games yet.
We'll see what it's like on grand theft auto 3 through!

However some people really need to get off their posteriors and get down the gym if 50g (or even 62g!) is REALLY that noticeable.
My neighbours daughter has been playing with my new iPad today and I was able to hold both her iPad 2 (32GB wifi only) and my new iPad together with their respective cases on (smart covers on both, and an Angry birds gel case on the back of hers, and a simple plastic protector on mine) and I couldn't tell any difference.

You must have wrists like twigs if it's a deal breaker! Seriously......get off the couch and do some excersise then keep the iPad :p

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Your post made me think of Steve Jobs, I miss him..:(

Right when workers thought they did the absolutely best, Steve Jobs would have said keep the weight the same and make no sacrifices, he just had a way of getting people to do the impossible. So many times in the past people said, well this the best we can do and they did do better because of him. Regardless, I will always remember him when things like this arise... And really think he would have pulled off some added miracles prior to manufacturing.B

I would have made this sacrafice, weight doesn't really bother me, so agree with you outside of wondering what would have happened if.

I think in the long run the heat may be more noticeable to me, I don't think anything could prevent that. Could be nice in the winter since my hands get cold:D

They have increased weight/thicknesses in the past under Jobs' watch. And this iPad was designed while he was alive.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I notice it. It's closer to the iPad 1 in weight than the iPad 2. But it's really not that big of a deal.

Tony

lc8

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
MD
Yes. Now I'm rethinking whether I need a back cover or not. It does add weight and as it is, i detach the smart cover whenever i use it handheld.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Honestly, I love my iPad, but holding it for a lengthy amount of time without any place to rest it definitely takes its toll.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I could tell the difference right away, but I am used to it now and it never bothered me.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
A significantly lighter unit with a much shorter battery life would be fine with me. 5 hours is more than enough for what I need.

I wonder what proportion of ipad owners really need 8/9 hours battery life?

One here (of many I imagine). I'm on it almost constantly throughout the day. If I'm not gaming, I don't even get <20% after 8 or 9 hrs ( maybe longer - I rarely kept track of it). This was with the previous two models. I haven't used the 3rd gen often enough to know, though it looks roughly the same as the iPad 2.

And, no, not noticing the extra -1.75oz (50gm).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can't imagine reading a book while holding it up (as in not having it rest on anything) lasting comfortably very long. The weight does take its toll. I love my iPad but Im also not going to pretend I wouldn't want it to be lighter.

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I definitely noticed it. After spending the weekend with the new iPad, I decided to return it today and keep my iPad 2. The iPad 2 feels much better in the hands.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
My ipad 2 feels sleek in comparison. The new one definitely feels chunkier and heavier.

I would have preferred they lost some battery life and not bulked it up.

I wonder if it would have got out the door like that if Steve was still in charge? He was a big fan of slimmer and lighter, not the reverse!

You'd rather have your battery die in 5-6 hours than deal with 1mm extra thickness? There's absolutly zero functionality loss due to the marginally increased mass. The same cannot be said if it retained the iPad 2 battery packs. I some how doubt SJ would have went that route.

iPhone 4 was slimmer but not at all lighter than the 3G/3GS, so it didn't always work that way even with Jobs around.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
What would be great is an iPad at 1lb or less, 15+ hour battery and speakers on the front. Other then that I love my new iPad.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
It definately feels chunckier than my ipad2. I can really tell the difference. But I'm pretty sure that that's because I'm use to the ipad2 and won't notice it in a couple of days. I think it was a good trade-off for the LTE and display.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
I bet if a lot of you didn't KNOW it was heavier, you would not be saying anything about the extra weight.

???

It is very noticeably heavier. If you had both iPad 1 and iPad 2, this is much closer to iPad 1. I still have my 2 so I notice the difference everyday

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009

AKA Liars! :)

The LTE models are almost the exact weight at the iPad 1 wifi. Almost everybody claimed to notice a big difference between iPad 1 and iPad 2. Now they return to iPad 1 weight and it doesn't stand out?

I'm a fan boy too but I don't feel the need to lie when the difference is this obvious

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.