Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ges

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
And he wasn’t about to enter the passcode for millions to see so he moved on to the next device which was ready to go with passcode already entered. Especially given the recent leaks/hacks/etc.
In the heat of the moment I don't think he understood fully what had happened (needing the passcode) otherwise he'd have explained it away. I think he was just acting out a planned reaction to any delay. Namely, MOVE TO THE BACKUP!

If he could choose his words again I think he'd also avoid referring to it as the backup, since that implies failure.

Oh well. These things happen.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Is the Face lock optional? Could one ultimately not enroll the Face and use just the passcode to unlock?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The unknowns with FaceID w/me is whether you will be able to turn if or not, along with usage questions.

Certainly, someone could hold your phone to your face, force you to look at it, and have the phone unlock.

The question is whether they can do anything at that point to turn the FaceID off, wipe/erase the device, etc.

I guess more will be known in the weeks ahead.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Never mind the whys and hows, my view, IMHO, is that there was an error in setting up the demo iPhone X.

So, when he picked it up to demonstrate, well, it didn't go as rehearsed.

After the huge hype and everyone on the edge of their seats, the glitch gave the impression that the Face ID did not work seamlessly.

His muttered "oh this isn't suppose to happen…" (or something to that effect), didn't help.

First appearances count.

It was just plain old bad luck, it spoiled the big moment and sowed the seed of a niggling doubt about the tech.

I'm sure we'll all move on, eventually. ;)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Never mind the whys and hows, my view, IMHO, is that there was an error in setting up the demo iPhone X.

So, when he picked it up to demonstrate, well, it didn't go as rehearsed.

After the huge hype and everyone on the edge of their seats, the glitch gave the impression that the Face ID did not work seamlessly.

His muttered "oh this isn't suppose to happen…" (or something to that effect), didn't help.

First appearances count.

It was just plain old bad luck, it spoiled the big moment and sowed the seed of a niggling doubt about the tech.

I'm sure we'll all move on, eventually. ;)
Well put.

Reactions: arkitect

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Jesus all the people in this thread trying to make up some bs excuse for the Face ID fail. Try it with ur phone with the wrong finger to see for yourself, if you are even remotely interested in the truth.

I'll still probably get it if I can be patient for another 6 weeks or so, but the tech failed on its debut on stage in a controlled environment, it's embarrassing and people are rightfully skeptical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: G37dude80

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
Hahaha. You’re obviously not interested in the truth, so I’m not throwing pearls before swine. Adieu.
If iOS 11 uses the same logic as iOS 10 when turning an iPhone on for the first time then you are completely wrong. He didn't try it 5 times and then it said enter passcode, after his first try it then prompted him. Same as when you restart any iPhone today with TouchID. If you turn on an iPhone that was off, it will first prompt you to enter a passcode, however if it the screen turns off and you press the power/wake button, you ONLY see your lock screen with no prompt. It's only after attempting to use TouchID do you get the prompt to enter your passcode. This is basically exactly what happened with the X on stage.

What could've happened is either A. The iPhone restarted before he walked over to demo it or B. The iPhone passcode was never entered. I am leaning towards A.

Let's not forget there is also a month and a half between now and when the iPhone X releases...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Although I wouldn't have believed it, they had enough confidence in it to use live software and hardware for the keynote. I honestly thought they used pre recorded demos for anything that is less than 100% chance of working, including TouchID for this exact reason.

We've all had TouchID give us the "Try Again". And regardless of how rare that is for you its not worth risking in front of the world.

I'm also disappointed in Craig, I could have came up with a very convincing lie in less time then it took to unlock the backup phone. Maybe I should be impressed he isn't as good of a liar as I am.

While none of us know what actually happened the fact is it didn't work. To me it looked like FaceID tried to work but didn't. His screen says "Swipe to Unlock" than it says "Your passcode is required to enable FaceID", both indicators it read the face as not correct. It should say "Swipe to Open" once FaceID unlocks the phone and than obviously no passcode screen. If you intentionally swipe without it detecting your face the passcode screen will say "Face ID or Enter Passcode".

This is as bad if not worse then when Windows blue screened on stage for Bill Gates.

Reactions: M. Gustave

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
If iOS 11 uses the same logic as iOS 10 when turning an iPhone on for the first time then you are completely wrong. He didn't try it 5 times and then it said enter passcode, after his first try it then prompted him. Same as when you restart any iPhone today with TouchID. If you turn on an iPhone that was off, it will first prompt you to enter a passcode, however if it the screen turns off and you press the power/wake button, you ONLY see your lock screen with no prompt. It's only after attempting to use TouchID do you get the prompt to enter your passcode. This is basically exactly what happened with the X on stage.

What could've happened is either A. The iPhone restarted before he walked over to demo it or B. The iPhone passcode was never entered. I am leaning towards A.

Let's not forget there is also a month and a half between now and when the iPhone X releases...

Why do people like you refuse to test it yourself?

If you restart your iPhone it says "Touch ID requires you to enter your passcode after it restarts".

If you fail five times it says "Your passcode is required to enable Touch ID".

Which one did the demo phone say?

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
Also check out these screenshots. It basically proves everyone wrong that said FaceID failed.

https://imgur.com/a/Z62ie

Notice is says "swipe up to unlock" this is a clear indicator that no matter what you need to enter a passcode. This again either indicates the iPhone restarted or the iPhone sat without being unlocked for 48 hours which is highly unlikely.
[doublepost=1505309991][/doublepost]
Why do people like you refuse to test it yourself?

If you restart your iPhone it says "Touch ID requires you to enter your passcode after it restarts".

If you fail five times it says "Your passcode is required to enable Touch ID".

Which one did the demo phone say?
So you are saying the first time he tried to unlock it, it tried 5 times and THEN failed? lmao are you reading what you type?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
This thread is crazy. No sense in complaining as FaceID is what we got. Don't like it, move on.

Hope all you complainers do not change your mind so I will have less problems getting mine.:p

I am betting that many who are complaining now will be ordering the X at midnight!

This may be a stretch, but if this flops (excluding the failed demo) over the next 6 months due to too many complaints, situations where it can't be used effectively, or even worse, someone bypassing it - then I can see them bringing Touch ID back next year. They almost had it ready to launch this year, but the backup solution was to go straight to Face ID.

They essentially have 2 options, to give in to the complaints (this will be obvious if iPhone 8 sales end up being much higher than expected), or to double down on Face ID, and try to make it much quicker next year.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Also check out these screenshots. It basically proves everyone wrong that said FaceID failed.

https://imgur.com/a/Z62ie

Notice is says "swipe up to unlock" this is a clear indicator that no matter what you need to enter a passcode. This again either indicates the iPhone restarted or the iPhone sat without being unlocked for 48 hours which is highly unlikely.
[doublepost=1505309991][/doublepost]
So you are saying the first time he tried to unlock it, it tried 5 times and THEN failed? lmao are you reading what you type?

How do you know he didn't? Do you know how quickly the phone scans your face every time after it fails? Or if he or someone else used the phone before the demo and already failed a few times?

You don't, and I don't.

All we know is it failed on stage, and it's not because of the "phone just restarted" like the bs excuse you were trying to make.

Again, why do you REFUSE to try it urself on ur own iPhone? Are you that allergic to the truth?
[doublepost=1505310902][/doublepost]
This may be a stretch, but if this flops (excluding the failed demo) over the next 6 months due to too many complaints, situations where it can't be used effectively, or even worse, someone bypassing it - then I can see them bringing Touch ID back next year. They almost had it ready to launch this year, but the backup solution was to go straight to Face ID.

They essentially have 2 options, to give in to the complaints (this will be obvious if iPhone 8 sales end up being much higher than expected), or to double down on Face ID, and try to make it much quicker next year.

I don't think Apple's ego will allow them to bring back TouchID next year, something they basically deemed as inferior technology in the Keynotes.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
How do you know he didn't? Do you know how quickly the phone scans your face every time after it fails? Or if he or someone else used the phone before the demo and already failed a few times?

You don't, and I don't.

All we know is it failed on stage, and it's not because of the "phone just restarted" like the bs excuse you were trying to make.

Again, why do you REFUSE to try it urself on ur own iPhone? Are you that allergic to the truth?
[doublepost=1505310902][/doublepost]

I don't think Apple's ego will allow them to bring back TouchID next year, something they basically deemed as inferior technology in the Keynotes.
That tone will change if an OEM gets it working under the glass. Apple has a big history of reversing course.
They made a whole commercial during iPhone 5 to convince people 4 inches was the "right" size.

The market said no and apple adjusted.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It failed on stage, yea it didn't exactly go to plan but these things happen, nothing is 100% as long as it works when the iPhone X comes out in November i don't see a problem here. They have between now and November to look into what went wrong and you can bet they did so immediately after the keynote, i think at the moment some people are just looking for a reason to complain about Face ID because they really like Touch ID and are a little worried that it's gone (at least on the X it has). If you are that concerned about Touch ID buy the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, i don't see Apple bringing it back.

There is a demo of Mark Gurman trying out the iPhone X, he registers his face on Face ID (they let him do it on camera) and tried Face ID multiple times, it works and he even comments on how fast it is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 15.05.03.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 15.05.03.png
    30 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: profets

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
That tone will change if an OEM gets it working under the glass. Apple has a big history of reversing course.
They made a whole commercial during iPhone 5 to convince people 4 inches was the "right" size.

The market said no and apple adjusted.

I definitely hope you are right, because right now it looks like Face ID is definitely more cumbersome than Touch ID.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
It failed on stage, yea it didn't exactly go to plan but these things happen, nothing is 100% as long as it works when the iPhone X comes out in November i don't see a problem here. They have between now and November to look into what went wrong and you can bet they did so immediately after the keynote, i think at the moment some people are just looking for a reason to complain about Face ID because they really like Touch ID and are a little worried that it's gone (at least on the X it has). If you are that concerned about Touch ID buy the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, i don't see Apple bringing it back.

There is a demo of Mark Gurman trying out the iPhone X, he registers his face on Face ID (they let him do it on camera) and tried Face ID multiple times, it works and he even comments on how fast it is.
Its also not final, I'm sure Apple is still tweaking some stuff.

Reactions: Dave245

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Made a short video to prove that Face ID didn't fail. In fact it wasn't even detecting him because the authentication wasn't even attempted by the phone: See here:
Would be interesting if ANYONE is willing to counter this now

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Made a short video to prove that Face ID didn't fail. In fact it wasn't even detecting him because the authentication wasn't even attempted by the phone: See here:
Would be interesting if ANYONE is willing to counter this now

Wouldn't it be considered a fail if it doesn't detect him?

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
it didnt attempt to detect him because it needed passcode first. when you say "It doesn't detect him" you imply the detection was attempted. It wasn't because when he had to press the passcode first

Ok I hope u r right, but the problem with that theory is that iPhones only require you to enter ur passcode the first time after restart, and it should say "Face ID requires you to enter your passcode after it restarts" instead of "enter your passcode to enable Face ID". Unless Apple changed their logic.

Anyways how well Face ID works will likely determine my buying decision so I hope it's just a one-off incident.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

That's actually pretty impressive how nicely it works. Really cool seeing third party apps have the Touch ID logo replaced with Face ID.

Reactions: Dave245

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Face ID is cool in theory but with touch ID I could pick up the phone and it would be unlocked before I ever looked at it. It is definitely not faster as you have to look at the phone and then swipe up to go to the home screen. I think this is a step backwards when it comes to unlocking your phone.

Agree, plus I'm the type to unlock my phone while it's in my lap (or discreetly under a table) just to get a quick glance or send a quick text. I wonder if you have to hold it a certain angle every time to get it to register.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Agree, plus I'm the type to unlock my phone while it's in my lap (or discreetly under a table) just to get a quick glance or send a quick text. I wonder if you have to hold it a certain angle every time to get it to register.

At 1:41 the guy demonstrates Face ID and had to make a slight angle adjustment. Doesn't install confidence.

Reactions: potentmf

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Don’t forget there is still the passcode option. It’s not like you’ll only be able to unlock your phone if it is scanning your face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.