yukari

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
QW

If you've got a 2011 model you've disabled the AMD GPU on, using the Thunderbolt/MiniDisplay Port as an output will no longer work.

Since this model also only has USB2, a USB to HDMI adapter also will not work, I don't think.
I have 2011 MBP that has failed dGPU which I have disabled using MikeN’s method. I have it hooked up to eGPU using TB1/2 -> TB3 adapter to Razer Core X Chroma. It works great with AOC’s 40” curved 4K monitor.

Reactions: pckrullenbol

Clockwise7

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2018
Barcelona
Hi guys,

I messed up, without thinking I clicked to update my late 2011 MBP... so my previous graphics card fix was deleted.

Tried to do the fix again, but unsuccessful. Tried everything (but probably wrong)... I did do an internet recovery as well.

Now I tried to follow the steps from the youtube video “2011 Macbook Pro Graphics Card FIX 100% WORKING!!!” But after step 2, csrutil disable, I get the error “this tool needs to be executed from recovery OS”

Further steps don’t work... anyone can give me some help....

Thanks,
Tim

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
I have 2011 MBP that has failed dGPU which I have disabled using MikeN’s method. I have it hooked up to eGPU using TB1/2 -> TB3 adapter to Razer Core X Chroma. It works great with AOC’s 40” curved 4K monitor.
I am using the Akitio 2 Thunder Box + eGPU Nvidia GTX 1050 mini (2GB) and testing with a Samsung Smart TV.

- nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU.
- failed AMD GPU power off by LoginHook -> AMDRadeonX3000.kext

The video works correctly via HDMI.
The problem is audio via HDMI. Apple has blocked HDMI audio for eGPU Nvidia in High Sierra 10.13.6.
AMD eGPUs do not have this problem.

SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/paged/39/#post-63972

Attachments

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Hi guys,

I messed up, without thinking I clicked to update my late 2011 MBP... so my previous graphics card fix was deleted.

Tried to do the fix again, but unsuccessful. Tried everything (but probably wrong)... I did do an internet recovery as well.

Now I tried to follow the steps from the youtube video “2011 Macbook Pro Graphics Card FIX 100% WORKING!!!” But after step 2, csrutil disable, I get the error “this tool needs to be executed from recovery OS”

Further steps don’t work... anyone can give me some help....

Thanks,
Tim
csrutil disable only work with Recovery Mode:

1 - nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU(Single User mode: press Command + S keys at boot) and reboot.

2 - Recovery Mode 1 -> Press Command + R keys at boot -> graphical screen -> menu Utilities -> Terminal
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot
3 - Recovery Mode 2 -> power on Macbook Pro and press Option key at boot -> insert macOS installer USB Stick -> press Command + S keys and hold and click macOS installer icon -> Recovery Mode terminal:
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot
4 - After csrutil disable -> boot Single User Mode (press Command + S keys at boot) -> Mikey N Guide -> move the new AMDRadeonX3000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to another directory.

yukari

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I am using the Akitio 2 Thunder Box + eGPU Nvidia GTX 1050 mini (2GB) and testing with a Samsung Smart TV.

- nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU.
- failed AMD GPU power off by LoginHook -> AMDRadeonX3000.kext

The video works correctly via HDMI.
The problem is audio via HDMI. Apple has blocked HDMI audio for eGPU Nvidia in High Sierra 10.13.6.
AMD eGPUs do not have this problem.

SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/paged/39/#post-63972
I have no problem with sound with mine.
As you noted AMD eGPUs do not have this problem.

Attachments

Clockwise7

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2018
Barcelona
csrutil disable only work with Recovery Mode:

1 - nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU(Single User mode: press Command + S keys at boot) and reboot.

2 - Recovery Mode 1 -> Press Command + R keys at boot -> graphical screen -> menu Utilities -> Terminal
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot
3 - Recovery Mode 2 -> power on Macbook Pro and press Option key at boot -> insert macOS installer USB Stick -> press Command + S keys and hold and click macOS installer icon -> Recovery Mode terminal:
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot
4 - After csrutil disable -> boot Single User Mode (press Command + S keys at boot) -> Mikey N Guide -> move the new AMDRadeonX3000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to another directory.

Thanks, ill try...

rodrigueztb

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2019
I've tryed a lot ways to recovery my mbp early 15. This thread helped me a lot, thanks for everyone. All methods worked but not 100%.

Yesterday i've installed catalina using the dosdude patcher on a new ssd. After that, i dont move any kext or made any modification. Its working PERFECTLY. Brightness control, sleep mode. I dont try mojave, was trying on high sierra.

jngraham

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2019
Hi there! I've just joined this forum to give my feedback on this issue. You might call me a luddite since I'm still on Yosemite, but that's by the by. I got here after two failed dGPUs, one in fall 2014 and the other in June this year.

I used @MikeyN 's strategy from post #875. It worked great in terms of disabling the dGPU but I had issues with sleep/wake as well as shutdown and reboot, as others in this thread have had. I tried putting the pmset -a force gpuswitch 0 line in the LoginHook, but that didn't resolve the sleep/wake issue.

Because of the shutdown problems, I used @nsgr 's shell scripts to set the nvram variable before shutdown and reboot, which worked as a temporary measure. I found that @MikeyN 's solution persisted through many shutdowns, both normal and forced.

Then I decided to try the grub solution with the WakeHandler by blackgate on GitHub: https://github.com/blackgate/AMDGPUWakeHandler. It works splendidly.

Now here comes the part I did not find in this thread: another solution to the shutdown/reboot issues: I used a LaunchDaemon to catch SIGKILL and SIGTERM and immediately set the nvram variable to use the integrated GPU. I'm not a code whiz, so I used the .plist and shell scripts published by freedev over on GitHub: https://github.com/freedev/macosx-script-boot-shutdown. There was a hitch here: when I'm in terminal, I am able to set the nvram gpu-power-prefs. But I had permissions issues when trying to do it through the LaunchDaemon. So I kludged it by enabling root.

Now my MBP only uses integrated graphics, and I can shutdown, reboot and sleep/wake exactly how I always have. Thank you everyone for the guidance in this thread, and I am glad I can use my MBP without worrying that the dGPU will fry itself on me for a third time.

mcbeej

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Are there any strategies for dealing with the sleep/wake crashes on HS after using MikeyN's guide?

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa7c498d7): "GPU Panic: mux-regs 2 0 1 0 0 0 severity 3 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 6 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 connect-change 0 : UH eHlPH
E0L H(L @ H HH
: GPU is not found. PCI config access fails!!!
\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.20.13/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:170

(MBP late 2011)

Last edited:

davidtaubmann

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2019
Are there any strategies for dealing with the sleep/wake crashes on HS after using MikeyN's guide?

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa7c498d7): "GPU Panic: mux-regs 2 0 1 0 0 0 severity 3 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 6 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 connect-change 0 : UH eHlPH
E0L H(L @ H HH
: GPU is not found. PCI config access fails!!!
\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.20.13/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:170

(MBP late 2011)
Have you tried the solutions "Close the Lid - Sleep - Waking stated in the last line of the original thread?
One is in Page 43 #1066 , the other one in Page 50 #1243 (haven't tried, the first one worked for me)

I wanted to mention for everyone, I've integrated the whole list of commands that worked for me in one single list in the correct order and including the Sleep problem and all MikeN's steps here so they can stay for eternity (Well, as long as Internet and S.E. SuperUser's section still exist, ha!):

https://superuser.com/a/1477444/501465

I hope it's useful for everyone.

mcbeej

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Hi David - thanks for the response - yes, I tried the pmset thing in the loginhook (it's in there now), but it didn't change anything for me - the behaviour is still the same - if I sleep the machine by closing the lid, I have about a one in five chance of the machine panicing on wake.

This is High Sierra - with my previous Sierra/Grub/AMDWakeHandler solution, I had no problems at all.

So far, the only more reliable way of sleeping the machine I've found is to sleep the machine from software, and wait for the machine to go into full sleep, and *then* shut the lid. I haven't yet had any panics on wake with this method, though it might be a little early to call it a solution...

nkhoscar

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2019
anyone know what's happen with my macbook pro 2011 8,2
is it a clean harddisk without macos just because i can't install any macos

Attachments

RobioCraft

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
Hi, guys. I have a problem - with my late 2011 15” Macbook Pro.
After updates I restarted all the dGPU blocking process, via @MikeyN ’s approach, and now on High Sierra my computer is having an overheat boot loop, and I can no longer boot my pc and access files for the moment.
I am grateful for this forum thread and people dedicating themselves for helping out others in this situation.
I hope there is something I can do to fix this...

EDIT: A day later and I managed to fix the issue.
Shortly about the issue: It was a problem of not being able to get past the gray loading screen (with Apple logo) and the loading bar was blank and after a minute or so the fans went spinning and the system got noticeably hotter, and then it reboots and same process repeats.

I'm gonna list what I did exactly that helped me. - Booting into recovery mode worked as expected but it did not bring any fix.
I went and restarted SMC & NVRAM -> then I pretty much followed @MikeyN 's tutorial -> normal boot still didn't work, but I tried booting in Safe Mode, via holding the shift key at launch, and was surprised that the boot went correctly and was able to log in -> Located the directory of /Extensions and /Extensions-off -> Removed the offending .kext from /Extensions location -> wrote the default write command in terminal for the LoginHook "$ sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh" -> applied and restarted, then everything was back to normal and no boot hangs or overheat loops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hustler1337

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Hi David - thanks for the response - yes, I tried the pmset thing in the loginhook (it's in there now), but it didn't change anything for me - the behaviour is still the same - if I sleep the machine by closing the lid, I have about a one in five chance of the machine panicing on wake.

This is High Sierra - with my previous Sierra/Grub/AMDWakeHandler solution, I had no problems at all.

So far, the only more reliable way of sleeping the machine I've found is to sleep the machine from software, and wait for the machine to go into full sleep, and *then* shut the lid. I haven't yet had any panics on wake with this method, though it might be a little early to call it a solution...
The problem is High Sierra (10.13) AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.20).

You could try the solutions below.

AppleMuxControl.

This AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13) from Sierra 10.12 has not been redesigned by Apple to disrupt the owners of Macbook Pro 2011.

Solution 1 - without GRUB - High Sierra 10.13.6

Sierra 10.12.1 -> AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13)

Solution 2 - with GRUB and High Sierra 10.13.6

Sierra 10.12.1 -> AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13)

This version of AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13) puts back the brightness control slider with GRUB and High Sierra (10.13.6).

suwandy - #180 - High Sierra 10.13 - Sleep and hibernate works

cracklincrotch - #181 - Mojave 10.14.6. Sleep works too!

Last edited:

modgod

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Hi Guys and Gals,

Macbook pro 2011 15" with horizontal grey lines across entire screen on startup, the device then boots to a blank grey screen.

I followed the 100% working solution at the start of this post using an arch linux live USB.

I could not see the gpu-power-prefs line in efivars so I created it as specified in the guide.

All commands worked except I couldnt unmount at the end of the guide using

"umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/"

I rebooted anyway the horizontal lines were gone, the loading bar got halfway I heard fan speed increase then machine rebooted, on reboot loading bar completed and I was presented with the OSX login screen! Success!!

Upon rebooting again the horizontal lines were back and the machine went back to loading a blank grey screen.

I tried going through the process again and removing gpu-power-prefs as the guide specifies but I get operation not permitted despite mounting the EFIVARS folder as with the RW switch.

If the gpu-power-prefs is to be removed why does the guide specify to create it using the following command -

printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9

What am I doing wrong here?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Also tried the simpler way using MacOS only and the following commands -

nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

nvram boot-args="-v"

reboot

When using this method the machine boots and hangs on "gIOScreenLockState 3"

I also tried moving the AMDRadeon3000 Kext to Extensions-off but this also gave me the screen lock state message above.

modgod

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
I reset everything and went over the 100% working process again, machine wont boot to login screen again. Just hangs on apple logo and loading bar at about 75%