Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
You must have not been around for 10.0, 10.1, 10.2. 10.0 and 10.1 we’re especially unusable. High Sierra is perfection in comparison. Steve may be rolling in his grave but not over High Sierra. I think if you really were a Mac fan you’d just roll back to Sierra. Not much s/w requires High Sierra.
iOS 11 and High Sierra have taught me to simply wait and properly evaluate these new releases. Until 11.2 my iPad Pro was borderline unusable between unstable apps and poor perfmance/lockups.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
These threads crack me up. I maintain that MS-DOS 4.0 was the worst OS. Ever.

High Sierra runs flawlessly for me. Which, of course is a meaningless statement that says nothing about how it will work for you.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
These threads crack me up. I maintain that MS-DOS 4.0 was the worst OS. Ever.

High Sierra runs flawlessly for me. Which, of course is a meaningless statement that say nothing about how it will work for you.

and they crop up with each new OS (and will, sadly, continue to do so). seems many people can't separate their personal experiences from a 'universal' one, so, if they're having a bad day, it's a bad day for all of us. :D

Reactions: Dr. Stealth

piperbarb

macrumors newbie
That’s not a fair comparison, put a SSD in the 13” and you’d see equal perfomance as your other Macs that are both Flash based mind you.

I am not comparing the MBP-13 to my other 2 MacBooks. I was comparing it to itself after repacing Sierra with High Sierra. I expected it to take a bit longer, but 10 minutes boot-up time for High Sierra is a bit much, along with some programs running more slowly than they did with Sierra using the same hard drive. Also, as I stated, battery time was less than it was with Sierra.

I know that an SSD makes a difference, that was not the issue. Also, there is a big difference in processing time between a core 2 duo and and i7, so the MBP-13 is expected to be slower overall. I know that and expected that but a 10 minute boot-up time is not acceptable, as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: foliovision

Southern_Vet

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018
I don't ask for much out of my Mac Mini and MacBook except to be able to stream my iTunes content from my mini to my Mac Book at night. Since iTunes got updated and I was dumb enough to put High Sierra on both of these devices this use case has completely become flaky. Every night I have to restart iTunes. Sometimes no matter what it just doesn't work.

It isn't just my MaBook having issues streaming iTunes content. The Apple TV 4 doesn't work at all with iTunes streaming any more.

This is the type of thing that is like nails on a chalk board for me. The lack of testing and breaking of the integration between devices is enough for me to look at other devices for content on the TV. It's enough for me to say I'm not buying another Mac ever. Which is fine because their computers are over priced for the hardware anyways and Tim seems to like soldering everything on.

Good job Tim. You took a long time fan of Apple and in 7 short years you have converted me to anything but Apple.

So much for High Sierra being about making it as stable as the days of Snow Leopard. Steve must be rolling in his grave.
Don’t let the door hit you on the backside on your way out. Enjoy windows.

blaichch

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Augsburg, Germany
For me Yosemite was by far the worst operating system I ever used. Even though I made a clean install I had lots of memory leaks and the performance was so bad that I didn't get more the 3FPS at Mission control. I couldn't even move the new blurry safari window around without lagging behind. The system was extremely slow and unoptimised. Contrast on buttons was also very bad. And do you guys remember all those font rendering issues?

High Sierra is by far not perfect but it is still better than Yosemite. Kinda like the new Metal display server because I'm getting way more frames out of my Intel HD 4000. But the menu bar glitch with fullscreen applications, lots of crashes and the missing support of APFS for fusion drives really bugs me.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
In my experience Yosemite was much worse, but I will agree that High Sierra has its fair share of problems. Once or twice a week I have to reboot to fix some stupid thing. Most recently I couldn’t open a dmg file and it worked fine after a restart.

El Capitan was the best of the recent versions IMO. I’d still be using it if it wasn’t because I can’t downgrade on my new iMac.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
and they crop up with each new OS (and will, sadly, continue to do so). seems many people can't separate their personal experiences from a 'universal' one, so, if they're having a bad day, it's a bad day for all of us. :D

I'm sure these people do this just for fun. Or maybe they really hate Apple. Maybe both at once? I can't think of any other reason.

Don’t let the door hit you on the backside on your way out. Enjoy windows.

That's prime example of good manners and high culture.

I agree, this thread has no point. The title is a clickbait and it serves no purpose. HOWEVER, considering the number of issues people report in other threads (see, these are real life examples, not mystical 'universal' experience) and comparing numbers with past macOS versions, one could say that High Sierra in fact IS the worst macOS version in recent years (in his/her opinion).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I am not comparing the MBP-13 to my other 2 MacBooks. I was comparing it to itself after repacing Sierra with High Sierra. I expected it to take a bit longer, but 10 minutes boot-up time for High Sierra is a bit much, along with some programs running more slowly than they did with Sierra using the same hard drive. Also, as I stated, battery time was less than it was with Sierra.

I know that an SSD makes a difference, that was not the issue. Also, there is a big difference in processing time between a core 2 duo and and i7, so the MBP-13 is expected to be slower overall. I know that and expected that but a 10 minute boot-up time is not acceptable, as far as I am concerned.

something's wrong, that's not reasonable. you should check out your startup items (an app like etrecheck should help); maybe reinstall the OS; or reset nvram/the power manager. something specific is happening there... and worth troubleshooting...

Reactions: gobikerider

GoodHealthIT

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2017
Adelaide
I'm not sure that it is necessarily the 'worst OS ever', but my experience has certainly been that it is more buggy than any previous releases that I've used. I don't recall ever having as many issues as I have with this release - and each Mac seems to have something different...

I also think that Apple's management and support to resolve such bugs has become more obstructionist. I have lodged Bug Reports on a couple of serious matters I've experienced that has made one of my Macs unusable, but each time they are closed as 'duplicates'. Of course, the veil of secrecy kicks in and the automated response is that you do not get access to the duplicate report, so you have no way of knowing what, if any, the resolution is.

When I've questioned this each time, I've been told that they cannot give me the information from the other bug report for privacy reasons, but if the problem is still occurring, then lodge a new bug report. I do this, provide the SysDiagnose and within 48 hours the new bug report is also closed as a duplicate.

I guess it shouldn't matter anyway, as this particular Mac is running Server which we've now been advised won't be the same later this year... So the resolution from Apple appears to be that it is all just too hard so let's drop the product, at which time they can close the bugs by claiming it is no longer a supported product.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm not sure that it is necessarily the 'worst OS ever', but my experience has certainly been that it is more buggy than any previous releases that I've used. I don't recall ever having as many issues as I have with this release - and each Mac seems to have something different...

I also think that Apple's management and support to resolve such bugs has become more obstructionist. I have lodged Bug Reports on a couple of serious matters I've experienced that has made one of my Macs unusable, but each time they are closed as 'duplicates'. Of course, the veil of secrecy kicks in and the automated response is that you do not get access to the duplicate report, so you have no way of knowing what, if any, the resolution is.

When I've questioned this each time, I've been told that they cannot give me the information from the other bug report for privacy reasons, but if the problem is still occurring, then lodge a new bug report. I do this, provide the SysDiagnose and within 48 hours the new bug report is also closed as a duplicate.

I guess it shouldn't matter anyway, as this particular Mac is running Server which we've now been advised won't be the same later this year... So the resolution from Apple appears to be that it is all just too hard so let's drop the product, at which time they can close the bugs by claiming it is no longer a supported product.

nothing like facts to make a case. btw, 'duplicate' means others have reported the same issue, nothing more (or less). and apple can't 'drop the product'; whatever comes next (aka 10.14) will be an evolution of what preceeds it.

conspiracy theories never get tired...

GoodHealthIT

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2017
Adelaide
nothing like facts to make a case.

Guess that goes both ways - from the Bug Report:

"The original report on this issue, Bug ID 36887900, is closed as resolved". Problem is, it isn't resolved because the problem still exists...
[doublepost=1520631913][/doublepost]
and apple can't 'drop the product';

That is true from the perspective of the OS, but when Apple decide to drop a bunch of key services from Server then it doesn't bode well for fixing any bugs that currently exist in it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Guess that goes both ways - from the Bug Report:

"The original report on this issue, Bug ID 36887900, is closed as resolved". Problem is, it isn't resolved because the problem still exists...
[doublepost=1520631913][/doublepost]

That is true from the perspective of the OS, but when Apple decide to drop a bunch of key services from Server then it doesn't bode well for fixing any bugs that currently exist in it.

hear you on both counts...

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Please allow me to wrap this thread up by suggesting that the OP saying High Sierra is the "worst ever OS", he was merely using the phrase as an expression, such as, you know, "OMG, this coffee is the worst ever" after coming out of a Starbucks with a brand new barista", or coming out of a movie theater after spending $15 and 2 hours watching the movie The Shape of Water.

Alternatively, here is some basic math that I have checked, re-checked, and checked again:

10.12 > 10.13

Finally, I have an idea for a bumper sticker: "Friends don't let friends upgrade to High Sierra"

You're welcome. I wish I'd come up with this sooner.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
how about a bumper sticker like this: "whatever the current mac os, this one's the worst". then you'll never have to remove it, and whiners for all the ages will have a bumper sticker that always speaks the truth. :cool:

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" (core 2 duo & 16GB RAM) that I bought new in 2010 (but only had 4GB at the time). I always did a fresh install when a new version of MacOS came out and never had problems. I did a fresh install of High Sierra on this laptop and it was the most painful, slow install I had experienced, short of Windows when I became Windows-free in 2010. I also did fresh installs of High Sierra on a late-2013 MBP 15" (max3ed out version) and a late-2013 MBA (maxed out version). the MBP-15 and the MBA run beautifully with High Sierra. I cannot say that for my poor MBP-13. Boot-up alone took almost 10 minutes every time. Battery time was abysmal. Overall, the whole system was slow and not as usable as it had been under Sierra.
I’ve has slightly different experiences than that. I have done OS upgrades since SL on this same install then CCC or SD the image to other Macs I have. I generally don’t believe there’s a upgave V fresh install issue in most user cases. It’s probably something in your user account that’s incompatible.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Clearly you never used Windows ME or Vista. :D

I've been running High Sierra since the late beta releases, and find it to be pretty solid. I have multiple Macs, including a 2012 Mini that I use as my media server to my network... all have been updated to High Sierra and things work well... I stream a library of about 8,000 songs, 300 television episodes and over 400 movies to the 3 AppleTVs in my home without issue.

And the whole "Steve is spinning in his grave" meme is old. He had his share of misses... funny how we canonize the past and vilified the current. I guess "short memory syndrome" is a good thing for some people.

I can't remember Windows ME too much, but my goodness Windows Vista was HORRIBLE. I haven't been running High Sierra yet because I'm not sure if it's gonna make my computer deteriorate faster. Recently, I purchased a 2015 MBP from my local Apple Store and I'm trying to make it last as long as possible. So I'm kind of holding out until all the kinks and bugs from High Sierra are cleared out before I update.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
how about a bumper sticker like this: "whatever the current mac os, this one's the worst". then you'll never have to remove it, and whiners for all the ages will have a bumper sticker that always speaks the truth. :cool:

No, that simply wouldn't be truthful. 10.7 wasn't the worst upon initial release. Neither was 10.8 through 10.11. I always ran the latest until Sierra. 10.11.6 was the last great OS X version as far as I'm concerned and I'm only running Sierra because I'm forced to due to El Cap not being supported on my Mac.

I steered clear of Sierra because I noticed a flood of threads like these, and I also didn't like the way Apple was taking their operations regarding privacy. My brief stint on High Sierra can be explained as a leftover reflexive mistake to always want to run the latest OS.

I think it's safe to say that RC 10.13.3 has cured me of that obsession for good, so High Sierra did have one useful aspect to it after all.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
No, that simply wouldn't be truthful. 10.7 wasn't the worst upon initial release. Neither was 10.8 through 10.11. I always ran the latest until Sierra. 10.11.6 was the last great OS X version as far as I'm concerned and I'm only running Sierra because I'm forced to due to El Cap not being supported on my Mac.

I steered clear of Sierra because I noticed a flood of threads like these, and I also didn't like the way Apple was taking their operations regarding privacy. My brief stint on High Sierra can be explained as a leftover reflexive mistake to always want to run the latest OS.

I think it's safe to say that RC 10.13.3 has cured me of that obsession for good, so High Sierra did have one useful aspect to it after all.

my point is, with every new mac os release, these forums are flooded with posts about 'worst os ever', 'don't upgrade!' etc, ad infinitum. and, like all oses, HS moves forward, and gets better (the 10.13.4 beta 4 is pretty great).

you speak for yourself, of course, as do others who rant about each new os. am not denying that they have issues, (i've had some serious ones along the way), just pointing out (again), that we don't all have these issues... and that each os gets better with point updates.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
And as soon as it matures, 10.14 will come out with a bunch of new bugs. Staying for a time on older (while still supported) OS might be wiser.

sure, might be... or not. there are always bugs, always people with issues... as it's been (and may always be). so, even an older os has issues for some. meanwhile, am getting my work done, enjoying stability, functionality... and my apps work (most important of all).

anyway, whatever works.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
sure, might be... or not. there are always bugs, always people with issues... as it's been (and may always be). so, even an older os has issues for some. meanwhile, am getting my work done, enjoying stability, functionality... and my apps work (most important of all).

anyway, whatever works.

Yea, and that's just it. My app didn't work, and the app was iMovie! lol...And I'm not saying that High Sierra didn't otherwise run ok, but that's just it, I don't want "ok". I want better, more stable, and if there are new features, it would be nice if they worked too.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yea, and that's just it. My app didn't work, and the app was iMovie! lol...And I'm not saying that High Sierra didn't otherwise run ok, but that's just it, I don't want "ok". I want better, more stable, and if there are new features, it would be nice if they worked too.

ok. but imovie's fine here (i just tried it out), so, it's your experience, and not representative of HS for everyone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.