Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Oh MacRumors, why did you have to go and tell the uninformed. If people really wanted an X they should have uncovered this themselves beforehand :(

This. It’s going to be hard enough for us to get one. This site doesn’t need to make it harder, by making it easier for others to get one. lol.

jbeckwith17

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2015
I don’t know about other carriers, but if you’re on the upgrade program with Verizon and still owe money on it, you can’t upgrade through Apple. You have to do it through Verizon. I’ve tested it with the 8 and only get the full price option with Apple but with Verizon I get the option to send my current phone back or pay off the remaining balance.

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Remember that traditionally, only GSM carrier (not unlocked) phones are available on Day 1. Unlocked GSM phones usually show up a few months later. Of course Verizon and Sprint phones are unlocked on the GSM side but are missing GSM bands which may or may not be an issue.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
None of my friends or coworkers showed interest on iPhone X. The only one I heard so far is from high school kids which my daughter keeps talking about. I can safely say none of those kids will ever get one, none of the people I know would get one. Therefore there should be a lot available on launch day.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Get an iPhone 8. Save the money. Save the hassle. Skip the unncessary bells and whistles. Give Apple another year to get their act togther.

Reactions: 5105973

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Some advise...

I plan on buying two iPhone X 256GB phones (one in Space Grey for me and one in Silver for my wife). I will be paying in full via the Apple Store app and using Apple Pay. I already have both iPhone X configurations saved on both of our iPhone's in the Apple Store apps.

Question is...

Do you think its better to use just my iPhone's Apple Store app and "Add to Bag" my iPhone X and then go back and "Add to Bag" my wifes iPhone X, then proceed to checkout to purchase both iPhones.

---OR---

Do you think its better to use both of our iPhone Apple Store app's at the same time and add my iPhone X to my "Add to Bag" on my iPhone and add my wife's iPhone X to the "Add to Bag" on her iPhone (thus performing to different checkout's at the same time)?

I'm just trying to think of the best solution for a swift checkout and less likelyhood of running into probelms with the checkout process.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Both on different phones, the ones you will be replacing, especially since they’re different colours. I tried that with the 42mm SS S3 watches and during that time the Silver slipped, so I had to order a Black through Apple and a Silver through Verizon to get them both on launch day. Seconds *truly* count.

Dizzy714

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Remember that traditionally, only GSM carrier (not unlocked) phones are available on Day 1. Unlocked GSM phones usually show up a few months later. Of course Verizon and Sprint phones are unlocked on the GSM side but are missing GSM bands which may or may not be an issue.

Where is it displayed that there are missing GSM bands on the Verizon/Sprint models? I could have sworn I saw a chart that showed the ATT/T-Mobile & Verizon/Sprint models equip the same GSM bands.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
If anyone is interested, I made a mockup of the X and the 8 to get a size comparison. I was surprised how big the X actually is, much too large for my taste. The 8 looks svelte compared with it.

http://www.karenandjay.com/misc/iPhoneX-8-comparison.pdf
Of course it’s bigger than the smaller 8. This phone is truly a dream for the Plus users palm, as you’re not losing real estate, but save tremendously in physical height.

Edit: Also, size comparisons have been out for quite a while, look through older “X” rumours. On these forums.

Reactions: myscrnnm and Ntombi

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
Showing wrong email (my old schools email). Any idea where I can change this?

Edit: nevermind I found the edit button on the top right

jcshep

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Nope, nope, nope, nope.

You CAN do this while setting up a payment plan though a carrier, as long as your carrier lets Apple check your upgrade status with their system.

I am on AT&T Next, and have used the Apple Store app to order my upgrade, and have my preferred phone saved to favorites, with AT&T Next as the payment option.

I did it the same way last year with no delay.

Are you required to sign in to your ATT account at any point in the process?

yanbellium

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Tr
Apple Pay doesn’t come up for me as an option, despite having Apple Pay set up on my phone. Rather annoying.

Even more annoying is that my shipping address keeps dropping out. I have to add it every day, even after I “save to account”.
try changing your address in the settings rather than the Apple store app. I had this issue and this resolved it.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles

I just moved to the States from London, so this is all a bit different to me. I think they may do things over here.

For years, I preordered an iPhone and unlocked was always an option. I didn't do the app and basket thing, just used the app or website at 8:01am local time when things went live and the phone was there.

Last year, I was in the middle of moving from the UK to the US. Like, the preorder page went live and by the day of shipping, I was going to be living in the US. And I can't quite remember how I did it because I was using a UK based card with a UK billing address but having it shipped to the US. I'm sure I ordered through apple.com rather than com/uk and almost certain that the US site gave me the option to pick a GSM model. Because that's what I ordered and that's what turned up.

So, this thing about them not typically offering GSM models on launch sounds strange to me. Things are done differently here?

Ultimately, if I plump for a T-Mobile version: couple of questions:

- If I order through Apple app, and pay the whole sum, I do it independent of carrier, right? I'm not having to seek their permission or get upgrade approval, am I? I just buy it and it has a T-Mobile SIM in? I'm concerned here about wasting valuable time if I get redirected to some kind of carrier page since every second will count (I never buy a phone through a carrier, always sim free and do a sim-only plan).

- It won't have the bands to work on Verizon and Sprint, but it will be essentially carrier unlocked, right? I could put a sim in from another network and there wouldn't be a restriction saying 'this must only be used on T-Mobile', would it?

It's going to be carnage at midnight - I wish I had the luxury of browsing the site and seeing, but right now, I have a T-Mobile variant sitting in my favourites with the full price ready to pay..

** EDIT: Actually - You can buy the Verizon one full price. So would it be locked to Verizon on arrival, or could I just put my Tmobile SIM in and activate it and then it would be fully unlocked on all bands?**

Last edited:

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
Negative. The full price ‘unlocked’ ATT/T-Mobile models are not truly unlocked, they don’t equip the CDMA radios that the Verizon/Sprint models do. Verizon/Sprint models are true unlocked models for any carrier, however, you have to enter an accounts credentials in order to purchase one of them. So we’re screwed unless the SIM-Free model magically appears once the sale goes live.
So technically, they're unlocked only on GSM? So if I ever want to use it only on a GSM network, it's unlocked. It just won't work on CDMA (Verizon/Sprint)?

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
So technically, they're unlocked only on GSM? So if I ever want to use it only on a GSM network, it's unlocked. It just won't work on CDMA (Verizon/Sprint)?
I've just spoken to Apple and that's what she told me.

Basically, the Verizon version is the unlocked version.

The T-Mobile one is also unlocked, but to GSM networks. Not a massive deal for me, because so few of the world's networks are CDMA, so the only thing it would affect is resale value in the US.

She told me that I could buy a Verizon model, shove a T-Mobile sim in, activate it with them and that's effectively the full unlocked version.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I’m on the same page as you. I’m thinking we just click our preapproval banner. I’m just happy my choice is likely the least popular, 256GB Silver, so I might have a chance or two to get it right as quickly as possible.

I wonder where the banner will appear. Currently, the Discover tab in the app says that I'm ready to pre-order on the 27th, with a link to view my pre-approval. Tapping that takes me to the Preapproved iPhone page, with a note saying "Come back to pre-order on 10.27." Will that change when pre-orders go live?

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
I've just spoken to Apple and that's what she told me.

Basically, the Verizon version is the unlocked version.

The T-Mobile one is also unlocked, but to GSM networks. Not a massive deal for me, because so few of the world's networks are CDMA, so the only thing it would affect is resale value in the US.

She told me that I could buy a Verizon model, shove a T-Mobile sim in, activate it with them and that's effectively the full unlocked version.
The problem with getting the Verizon model is that the only way you can buy it on Apple's website is if you have a Verizon account. Meaning you'd need to open an account at Verizon and then use that information to buy a new phone. It's just more of a hassle. All the phones that I've ever sold 'unlocked' end up with a sim-card in a GSM network for whoever buys it. I'll take the risk.

Thanks for the info, by the way.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Are you required to sign in to your ATT account at any point in the process?

Yes...there’s a point where you’re asked to enter the phone number you’re upgrading, the billing zip, and last 4 of the SSN of the primary account holder. If you have a 4 digit passcode, you enter that next, then you choose which Next plan you want (12/24, etc), confirm you agree to the Next contract, then off to payment you go.

ETA: One year AT&T’s servers couldn’t keep up and Apple couldn’t confirm my Next Upgrade eligibility. They held my place in line and sent an email the next day (later that same day actually, haha!!) with a link to finish my Next enrollment. I got my iPhone on launch day, no problem.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I have T-Mobile service, but I want the Qualcom chip. The Verizon iPhones are unlocked, right?
Yes. But you most likely have to get a Verizon phone at a store by paying full price. The online store requires that you have a Verizon account or set up new service with Verizon. You can buy a Verizon phone at a brick-and-mortar Apple Store if you insist. The geniuses will tell you it won’t work on a non-Verizon service, but you just keep insisting, smile, and tell them it’s not their problem.

I’ve been doing this for years now, and they work fine on AT&T and T-Mobile. I can’t vouch for Sprint, though.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Nope, nope, nope, nope.

You CAN do this while setting up a payment plan though a carrier, as long as your carrier lets Apple check your upgrade status with their system.

I am on AT&T Next, and have used the Apple Store app to order my upgrade, and have my preferred phone saved to favorites, with AT&T Next as the payment option.

I did it the same way last year with no delay.

Yup, I ordered my iPhone 7 Plus (using AT&T's Next iPhone Every Year plan) last year through the Apple Store app and it worked flawlessly. I also have my order already setup for the X! Not sure how other networks operate, but AT&T's Next plan is integrated with Apple (whether you use the app or Apple.com)—probably because we were the first network to use iPhones so Apple gives us special treatment :D

Reactions: Ntombi

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
$1800 CDN for the 256GB version after tax. Too much for what I consider an Apple Revision A product.

For those prepared to pull the trigger, good luck.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
I don’t know about other carriers, but if you’re on the upgrade program with Verizon and still owe money on it, you can’t upgrade through Apple. You have to do it through Verizon. I’ve tested it with the 8 and only get the full price option with Apple but with Verizon I get the option to send my current phone back or pay off the remaining balance.

I was curious if the website is different. If have to go through Verizon that will suck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.