iMazing | Manage your iPhone. Your Way.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gregzo, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Gregzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Gregzo

Our Black Friday promotion is live - get 50% on all our licenses!

https://imazing.com/store

Glad iMazing could help you move your backups - indeed, backing up to external drive is one of our most popular features. We even support backing up iOS devices straight to NAS if your Wi-Fi is speedy enough.

About photos: we're planning a major overhaul of photo management in iMazing next year. Please do send your feedback and suggestions our way, here or at imazing.com/contact - thanks!

2. GLS macrumors 6502

I'll chime in.

Bought this app about a year ago. Worth. Every. Penny.

Used it on Thanksgiving Day to setup my sister's new iPhone from her old iPhone, then upgrade nephew from his older iPhone to sister's old iPhone. Took less than an hour to do all the tasks.

3. jeanbonneaut macrumors newbie

jeanbonneaut

Hi Gregzo,
    I found your post by searching a solution to my issue on Internet, and would like to know if iMazing could help me out.
    I have an iPhone 6s that bugs since a few weeks, repeatedly going into "infinite" Apple logo reboots for a few hours, then fine a gain for a day or so, and then bugging again.
    It happens that I have a full iTunes backup from a few month ago, before this problem occurred, and a full backup of now.
    When I fully restore the iPhone with the old backup, the phone is OK, but of course, I have lost some of my SMS, photos and so on. When I restore from the recent backup, Apple logo reboots are back.
    So I would like to restore from the old backup, but then add the few SMS and photos that have been taken since the old backup. Is that possible with iMazing?

4. Gregzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Gregzo

Hi Jean,

iMazing can indeed help here. The strategy is to replace messages data in the old backup by messages data from the new backup, and iMazing features backup editing tools which can do just that, even if your backups are encrypted.

The procedure is in 3 phases, all instructions refer to iMazing:
    1. Extract the SMS database and attachments from the newer, buggy backup
    2. Inject them in the older but functional backup
    3. Restore that edited backup to the target device
    1) Extracting from the newer backup
    • If you haven't already, back up your iPhone with iMazing to make sure that your newest messages are in the backup.
    • Select your iPhone in iMazing's sidebar, then navigate to File System -> Backup/HomeDomain/Library and drag and drop the SMS folder to your desktop.
    • Navigate to Backup/MediaDomain/Library/SMS and drag and drop the Attachments and Parts folders to your desktop.
    2) Injecting data in the older backup
    • Right click your older backup in iMazing's sidebar, and choose 'Create editable copy' from the contextual menu. This will create a shallow copy of your backup which you can safely edit without destroying the original..
    • Select the editable backup in the sidebar.
    • Navigate to File System -> HomeDomain/Library and drag and drop the SMS folder from your desktop to iMazing, to overwrite the backup's SMS folder.
    • Navigate to Media/Library/SMS and drag and drop the Attachments and Parts folders from your desktop to iMazing, to overwrite the backup's Attachments and Parts folders.
    3) Restore the edited backup

Let me know how it goes!

5. bleomycin macrumors newbie

Hi Greg,

This software seems excellent, I just purchased 2 licenses and hope to replace icloud with imazing leveraging the network automatic backups.

A couple questions/comments/problems from my use so far:

1. Backup failure notifications don't exist. I'm running imazing on a headless backup server, i don't intend to login and check daily that my devices backed up correctly. Are there plans for email notifications or something similar if a device fails to backup for X days? This is critical missing functionality, if i'm not certain my devices are being backed up automatically I can never trust the product to replace icloud.

2. Network shares are supported for backups, this is excellent! BUT, I just attempted a restore and the first thing imazing did was attempt to copy the entire backup file from the network share to a local cache. My backup VM does not have hundreds of gigs free locally and ideally shouldn't need to just to restore a backup. Please allow editing the cache directory location for backup restores.

Other than those 2 issues i'm extremely pleased with the software, excellent work! I can't wait for official windows network backup support so I can move to a totally supported platform as macos in a virtual machine isn't a friendly beast to maintain.

6. Gregzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Gregzo

Thanks for the kind words, and for the helpful feedback. Regarding backup notifications, you should be pleased with the direction we'll be taking later this year - we do have plans to make backing up to a headless server more viable, including via email notifications and monitoring of backup status for all your devices. But we're not there yet I'm afraid.

Regarding cache location - indeed, from network drives iMazing must make a local copy of the backup before restoring it. Having a restore interrupted by a connection issue can cause problems. I'll file a request about setting a custom temporary location - I think we may even have something internally to that effect, just not in public builds, I'll check with the team here.

Could you please get in touch directly with our tech support channel for further questions? It is MacRumors policy that this forum should not be used for tech support.

https://imazing.com/contact

Thanks!