Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I know I am just preaching to the choir here but it is quite jarring how bad the mail app is at this stage of iOS 13. When the first beta launched in June, I was thinking, "ok - I get it, super early, super raw but it will be polished by September". It is now mid-November and it is maybe 50% of the mail bugs have been fixed.

For my own relatable experience, I sent an important email last Thursday, hit the send button and was on my merry way. Found out that despite my perfect signal, it never actually sent. It mysteriously vanished and as a consequence, I had a poor showing at a company meeting.

Have people just jumped to Outlook for iOS? Last time I used it, it felt disconnected from the rest of iOS since it cannot be treated as native but maybe it is worth the trade-off.

This exact same thing happened to me today, on iOS 13.3. None of the emails I sent out today actually made it to anyone. I couldn't believe it when I got home and none of the emails I sent out were in my sent folder. I was wondering why I didn't hear back from certain people and now I know why, they never got any communication from me. Absotutely unacceptable and Apple is an embarrassment for having a stock app this bad this deep into the OS. Shockingly awful is the only way I can describe it.

Reactions: thewhitehart

dwr130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
So the final public version of 13.3 is released today and so far, my testing with Mail and Exchange has been good.

- Have been unable to reproduce duplicate Sent Items

- Mail no longer crashes with hold press and forward

- Content of email is no longer truncated or cut-off when forward or replied

- Used to get random attachment errors when forwarding, but have been unable to reproduce thus far

However, the issue where we receive a new email badge notification (eg, when device is locked) - and we then go to unlock and load the inbox - the mails are not there (or takes some time downloading) - is still prevalent. I'm assuming this will not be resolved for some time.....

Keen to know what others think (in due time of course)?
Agree with all of this, including the remaining issue. I know there is a lot of frustration with the Mail app (I share this) but it is at least getting better. If the remaining issue referenced in this post is resolved, I will be satisfied.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
A temporary fix to get your mail to download is quit mail and then put your iPhone in Airplane mode for 30 seconds and it should begin to fetch your mail. A reboot or shutdown doesn’t have the same effect as this unfortunately.
[automerge]1576130188[/automerge]
This exact same thing happened to me today, on iOS 13.3. None of the emails I sent out today actually made it to anyone. I couldn't believe it when I got home and none of the emails I sent out were in my sent folder. I was wondering why I didn't hear back from certain people and now I know why, they never got any communication from me. Absotutely unacceptable and Apple is an embarrassment for having a stock app this bad this deep into the OS. Shockingly awful is the only way I can describe it.

please try my temporary solution.
1.) Quit Mail
2.) Airplane Mode for 30 seconds
3.) Open Mail, go to your draft emails and hit send. They should go through now.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I have been tested the mail app since the last update. I had some issues with Microsoft acc but now seem fixed, however, I can't get email preview to work while in the lock screen.

Have anyone noticed this bug?

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
There are two aspects to noticing an issue: One which you consider major, and another is when others also consider it as major.
If one themself considers an issue minor, why should they expect others to have noticed it as it is not a major issue.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
There are two aspects to noticing an issue: One which you consider major, and another is when others also consider it as major.
If one themself considers an issue minor, why should they expect others to have noticed it as it is not a major issue.
Thank for your pointless and productive post ;)

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Hopefully I'm in the right thread. Don't flame me here, but is else anyone else having an issue with Mail not automatically fetching/pushing new mail? I've always had my Mail app set up to automatically fetch/push new mail. Now I have to open the app for it to fetch mail. I recall seeing someone else here mentioning this as well ... is this just one of the multitude of issues with Mail?? Can't believe this is still happening - we just had an update! :rolleyes:

I use iCloud as my email address, too.

Just sent a "test" message to myself from a different address and it arrived immediately. The issue (for me, anyway) seems to be sporadic. There's a lot of days where I don't get any email until I open Mail.

Last edited:

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Hopefully I'm in the right thread. Don't flame me here, but is else anyone else having an issue with Mail not automatically fetching/pushing new mail? I've always had my Mail app set up to automatically fetch/push new mail. Now I have to open the app for it to fetch mail. I recall seeing someone else here mentioning this as well ... is this just one of the multitude of issues with Mail?? Can't believe this is still happening - we just had an update! :rolleyes:

According to folks here you should just learn to live with it because mail isn’t critical. If you don’t like it you should go to another platform instead of asking Apple to fix what worked fine in previous versions of iOS.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
Alright apparently Apple has again invoked me to organize the trolling effort to fix another glaring problem.

Where to start:

1. Daily, or multi-daily feedback - everytime your email doesnt work you send some feedback. Add it to your bookmarks on your phone. https://www.apple.com/feedback/

2. Email problem eh? Time to email tim everytime it happens: tcook@apple.com

Also recommend sending this as a tip to:

https://twitter.com/lisagade

editor@ifixit.org

https://twitter.com/MKBHD

Make sure when you send this to youtubers/bloggers that you include links to multiple users having issues.

links:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-13-native-mail-app.2205325/ https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250659088 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250764697 https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/e9oglp/finally_have_the_answer/ https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/e9n4dd/mail_app/ https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/d87mso/mail_app_not_pushing_anything/ https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/e5h3o2/apps_are_not_receiving_info_and_pushing/

Time to fire up the ********ing cannons.

Last edited:

groovypants

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
What about email preview on the lock screen? every time I receive an email in my exchange account I can’t load the preview as it keeps saying loading but nothing shown

does this happen to you too?
thanks

hmmm thanks good to know, though haven't had any reports of this particular behavior in my environment yet. Did this issue pop up from upgrading to 13.3 public or has it been persistent from an earlier release?

This may or may not be related but I've had some cases where the mail notifications or previews did not pop up at all (even though we have triple checked all notification settings). This occurred during the early iOS 13 releases, though seemed to have stopped from 13.2.3.

To resolve it for these users (most of the time anyway) we had to either re-push the Exchange profile (via MDM) to the devices again (which therefore purges all EAS local cache, and essentially sets up EAS again fresh).

OR...

Had to off-board the devices from MDM and re-provision them again from scratch (the above workflow would also be included in this process).

Extremely painful from an IT Support perspective. :)

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Well yesterday my outlook.com account, setup as exchange, started to fail inside the mail app. I deleted it numerous times and it will not setup as exchange anymore. I just get the inbox and none of the mail there appears on the mail app. Works fine on my Mac Catalina

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Well yesterday my outlook.com account, setup as exchange, started to fail inside the mail app. I deleted it numerous times and it will not setup as exchange anymore. I just get the inbox and none of the mail there appears on the mail app. Works fine on my Mac Catalina
It seems that Apple doesn’t think email is important to the iPhone because it’s been three months and Apple hasn’t fixed the cluster of issues with Mail. I miss Steve Jobs for many reasons, but mostly because he would have berated internal teams when iOS launched with these mistakes, and they would have been fixed swiftly. The bugs should have never been there in the first place, but it’s unacceptable that there are no fixes three months after the iOS 13 release. Unacceptable.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I was on the phone last week with Apple for about 3 hours because suddenly it deleted about 8 months worth of emails I need and claimed I hadn't received a lick of mail since March. They were confused how it happened but we did get it all restored. Many a feedback left over it and other issues. Fun times... NOT!

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
It seems that Apple doesn’t think email is important to the iPhone because it’s been three months and Apple hasn’t fixed the cluster of issues with Mail. I miss Steve Jobs for many reasons, but mostly because he would have berated internal teams when iOS launched with these mistakes, and they would have been fixed swiftly. The bugs should have never been there in the first place, but it’s unacceptable that there are no fixes three months after the iOS 13 release. Unacceptable.
I say welcome to the new apple. After the departure of many good people and looking at the state of iOS and mac bugs, it seems that we have to get used to this sort of quality going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: fastbagger

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I saw welcome to the new apple. After the departure of many good people and looking at the state of iOS and mac bugs, it seems that we have to get used to this sort of quality going forward.
Well I guess I can understand when a company grows as quick as Apple has recently.... but iOS 13 has been a wreck from top to bottom. It seems its always a rush to get next feature package out instead of ensuring previous things work like they have.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Clicking or clearing any one mail notification to view that mail removes all the existing mail notifications from the notification centre - including those mail notifications which have not been clicked or opened. This happens at random and is not consistent- hence is definitely not by design.
Happens on all types of mail accounts- IMAP, Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange, Outlook etc. All the usual resolution steps- format, reset, new addition of accounts etc, have been tried out.
Yet issue pending since iOS 13.0 is still unresolved on 13.3, even though feedback has already been submitted to Apple many times.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Clicking or clearing any one mail notification to view that mail removes all the existing mail notifications from the notification centre - including those mail notifications which have not been clicked or opened. This happens at random and is not consistent- hence is definitely not by design.
Happens on all types of mail accounts- IMAP, Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange, Outlook etc. All the usual resolution steps- format, reset, new addition of accounts etc, have been tried out.
Yet issue pending since iOS 13.0 is still unresolved on 13.3, even though feedback has already been submitted to Apple many times.

This has been a problem since iOS 11. I’ve filed feedback about it several times, too. ?

groovypants

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
Shameful copy and paste of my post in the beta 2 thread:

Regarding native Mail, there was a bug in the previous 13.3.1 beta 1 where if you had opened an attachment within a received email (be it, PDF, DOC, XLS etc) - you view the contents and then go to Share or Print the attachment, the Mail app completely crashes. Myself and what it seems, alot of other customers, had reported it to Apple.

It now seems to be resolved in this beta. ? Can no longer reproduce it on various devices / Exchange user accounts.

Like many though, I am still experiencing the "mail notification or badge but when launching inbox, the emails are not there" behavior. The work around of killing the Mail app and re-launching is what I am still doing. Apple are still "working on it" ?

Something that has starting to gain traction in my environment, is that the "This message was downloaded as plain text. Download full message.” prompt for mail items is becoming quite frequent now. Even myself, a simple IT user has noticed it. (Our VIP users definitely noticed and are definitely letting it be known!)

Occurs to emails of various sizes, 50K to 10MB.

Depending on your workflow, this has caused issues where a user does not tap on the "Download full message" option and then goes to forward the email (usually with attachments) and it simply forwards a blank email or... the email without attachments.

Easy enough, simple fix is to be a little diligent: read the prompt, download the full message and then go to reply or forward. But am pretty sure with iOS 12 or earlier, this was very rare?

Has anyone else noticed the "Download full message" prompt more than usual on 13.x +?

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015

Regarding native Mail, there was a bug in the previous 13.3.1 beta 1 where if you had opened an attachment within a received email (be it, PDF, DOC, XLS etc) - you view the contents and then go to Share or Print the attachment, the Mail app completely crashes. Myself and what it seems, alot of other customers, had reported it to Apple.

It now seems to be resolved in this beta. ? Can no longer reproduce it on various devices / Exchange user accounts.

Like many though, I am still experiencing the "mail notification or badge but when launching inbox, the emails are not there" behavior. The work around of killing the Mail app and re-launching is what I am still doing. Apple are still "working on it" ?

Something that has starting to gain traction in my environment, is that the "This message was downloaded as plain text. Download full message.” prompt for mail items is becoming quite frequent now. Even myself, a simple IT user has noticed it. (Our VIP users definitely noticed and are definitely letting it be known!)

Depending on your workflow, this has caused issues where a user does not tap on the "Download full message" option and then goes to forward the email (usually with attachments) and it simply forwards a blank email or... the email without attachments.

Easy enough, simple fix is to be a little diligent: read the prompt, download the full message and then go to reply or forward. But am pretty sure with iOS 12 or earlier, this was very rare?

Has anyone else noticed the "Download full message" prompt more than usual on 13.x +?
Me too.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018

I experience this problem quite often too. I had not tried to forward such emails so thanks for the warning!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.