Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I am headed to the Apple Store now to see if they will get me a replacement. I noticed this creaking when I put on my apple silicone case. The creaking is much too easy, and my mom who is by no means tech savvy was like that needs to be fixed lol. So here we are. Hoping they have a model to replace mine with.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Just go to the Genius bar and ask them to tighten the screws. The replacement will prob be the same. It fixed mine.

I am headed to the Apple Store now to see if they will get me a replacement. I noticed this creaking when I put on my apple silicone case. The creaking is much too easy, and my mom who is by no means tech savvy was like that needs to be fixed lol. So here we are. Hoping they have a model to replace mine with.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Just go to the Genius bar and ask them to tighten the screws. The replacement will prob be the same. It fixed mine.
So guys it is the apple cases if you have your phone in one. I was like what do you mean "can't reproduce" the issue... well when the guy was trying the phone was out of the case.

I said get me a manager. He was very knowledgeable and believed that I was experiencing the issue, just that they hadn't seen it like that before. They emailed an early failure support team. Team confirmed that apple cases make a creaking sound in phones corner, especially the leather cases. I'm sporting the silicone one and the creak is now back, same sound as before. It is not present when outside of the case.

Boy did original genius turn red when manager proved I was right and noise is actually happening and occuring.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
My 7 Plus also clicks, without a case. Noticed it during regular use, specifically when applying pressure to the bottom right portion of the display. Easily able to replicate it. I may try to tighten the screws tomorrow, to see if that helps.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
My 7 Plus also clicks, without a case. Noticed it during regular use, specifically when applying pressure to the bottom right portion of the display. Easily able to replicate it. I may try to tighten the screws tomorrow, to see if that helps.
Ok guys I took my case off. In totally silent room I can replicate. When applying pressure to opposite corners of device click is the loudest.

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
I would really try to get the genius bar to tighten the screws for those affected esp if you have a good screen etc and spent 24 hours like I did restoring all my pics, spottily music etc. This has resolved the issue for many off us as they just are not getting tightened enough at foxconn. The genius bar has this tool as they replace screens. Have them try that first and if it does not work then exchange. Yes it is a QC issue but it does not mean the phone is defective. Otherwise you can go through all the hassle of an exchange/restore etc and prob get another with the same issue.

I tried tightening the screws before I returned my 7+ and the Apple Store tried as well...it does not solve the problem....AT ALL. I believe the person in this thread that tightened their screws and stopped the creaking cracking sounds was either very lucky or was not experiencing what the rest of us are experiencing...Good luck to you all in solving it, I gave up personally.
[doublepost=1475289793][/doublepost]
So guys it is the apple cases if you have your phone in one. I was like what do you mean "can't reproduce" the issue... well when the guy was trying the phone was out of the case.

I said get me a manager. He was very knowledgeable and believed that I was experiencing the issue, just that they hadn't seen it like that before. They emailed an early failure support team. Team confirmed that apple cases make a creaking sound in phones corner, especially the leather cases. I'm sporting the silicone one and the creak is now back, same sound as before. It is not present when outside of the case.

Boy did original genius turn red when manager proved I was right and noise is actually happening and occuring.

NOPE. Wrong.....Its not the Apple cases or any other cases for that matter. My 7+ creaked and cracked bad with no case whatsoever.

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I tried tightening the screws before I returned my 7+ and the Apple Store tried as well...it does not solve the problem....AT ALL. I believe the person in this thread that tightened their screws and stopped the creaking cracking sounds was either very lucky or was not experiencing what the rest of us are experiencing...Good luck to you all in solving it, I gave up personally.
[doublepost=1475289793][/doublepost]

NOPE. Wrong.....Its not the Apple cases or any other cases for that matter. My 7+ creaked and crack bad with no case whatsoever.
After taking mine off for a few minutes after finally settling down this evening it totally does do it still with the case off. F my life. The Genius Bar and the manager there both look at me like I'm mentally insane when I talk about the problem because they cannot replicate it in the store. But I'm telling you, it is doing it again. I got my phone through T-Mobile and my hands are pretty much tied with returning it with them because I would be out of a phone until December if I needed to order again.
I am going to go a few days of seeing what it is up to and if it continues I will try going to another Apple Store or chat them and see if I can get a replacement under warranty because this is clearly a build issue with their phone.
We all aren't making this **** up.

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
After taking mine off for a few minutes after finally settling down this evening it totally does do it still with the case off. F my life. The Genius Bar and the manager there both look at me like I'm mentally insane when I talk about the problem because they cannot replicate it in the store. But I'm telling you, it is doing it again. I got my phone through T-Mobile and my hands are pretty much tied with returning it with them because I would be out of a phone until December if I needed to order again.
I am going to go a few days of seeing what it is up to and if it continues I will try going to another Apple Store or chat them and see if I can get a replacement under warranty because this is clearly a build issue with their phone.
We all aren't making this **** up.

Hi Jgelin,

Do what I did and spare your sanity...RETURN IT. The 7/7+ is a total POS. Buy the iPhone SE until either Apple fixes their HORRIBLE quality control issues or wait until the 8 comes out and give that a try.

Wolfent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2016
Went into an appointment at the Genius bar. They didn't want to replace the phone, and they just tightened the screws. I was happy with it, till I got home and still heard it making a noise.

Bottom left corner I think. I think it's slightly quieter now, but that might just be me.

I don't really want to go through the hassle of driving back and arguing for an exchange, so I'll likely just end up keeping it and then if something goes wrong using AppleCare+ or my carrier to replace it.

Meh. But yeah more or less just chiming in to say I also have this issue. And tightening the screws really didn't do anything for me.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I think I'm going to return mine and go back to my 6s+. The animation lag is so bad on the 7+ right now the 6s+ feels faster and smoother anyway

Callacrap

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
iPhone 7 Plus, 256GB, Matte Black here. Same issue. Told my friend who had a gold one to check his and his was perfectly fine. Thought I was going mad at first!
Googled and found this thread which made me feel much better about my situation. Went to the Apple Store to pick up some Beats yesterday so I mentioned it to the people at the Genius Bar, besides the guy on the door telling me it was the Taptic feedback clicking (seriously?!), I spoke to someone else who could hear it clicking! Hurray! Not going mad after all!
I mentioned what you guys had said about screws being loose so he took my phone into the back and returned several minutes later, told me the screws were particularly loose and to check my phone now. Instead of it clicking every time, it does it maybe 1 in 4 "twists" now, but not completely solved.
He was great with me (even though I was the first to have been back to my store with this issue) and told me he would set up a repair and as soon as they get my phone back in stock, I could get a free replacement. Hopefully as they're all out at the minute, I might get a different batch to my current one and the new one won't have this issue.

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
I think I'm going to return mine and go back to my 6s+. The animation lag is so bad on the 7+ right now the 6s+ feels faster and smoother anyway
Wow seriously?? I think thats not cool... 6s+ is somewhat laggy sometimes, cant imagine that on a 7+...

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
iPhone 7 Plus, 256GB, Matte Black here. Same issue. Told my friend who had a gold one to check his and his was perfectly fine. Thought I was going mad at first!
Googled and found this thread which made me feel much better about my situation. Went to the Apple Store to pick up some Beats yesterday so I mentioned it to the people at the Genius Bar, besides the guy on the door telling me it was the Taptic feedback clicking (seriously?!), I spoke to someone else who could hear it clicking! Hurray! Not going mad after all!
I mentioned what you guys had said about screws being loose so he took my phone into the back and returned several minutes later, told me the screws were particularly loose and to check my phone now. Instead of it clicking every time, it does it maybe 1 in 4 "twists" now, but not completely solved.
He was great with me (even though I was the first to have been back to my store with this issue) and told me he would set up a repair and as soon as they get my phone back in stock, I could get a free replacement. Hopefully as they're all out at the minute, I might get a different batch to my current one and the new one won't have this issue.
I had the same experience. After waiting 2 hours my 'genius' couldn't reproduce the noise. Makes it every time so I don't know how not... calling Apple today and hopefully they will be more helpful because the amount of customer service I received on Friday was substandard at best.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I tightened mine which was pretty loose and it only creaks one out of every 4 times or so when twisting and doesn't pop at all when pushing on the bottom right corner anymore. I'm waiting on a true pentalobe screwdriver instead of a torx head to come tomorrow and see if I can tighten the screws a bit more without stripping them.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Got Apple to send me a replacement since I'm 2 hours away from the closest Apple Store. They're charging me $30 for shipping though . I'll let you guys know if the new one is any better. I checked the rose gold one my fiancé has and it doesn't make any sounds.

AppleWarrior

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Express replacement I received still has both issues...the creak and pop, and the white noise on video recordings. I checked and it is the same production week as my original. I am going to wait a couple of months until some newer production weeks get in stock and then just go replace at the Apple store.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
mine weren't particularly loose. also, my creaking was up by the corner, near the camera. still there. oh, well. maybe it can have something to do with the yellow screen issue where supposedly the glue hadn't fully cured, yet? (mines weren't yellow, btw.)

940341911677ed2339274d67ef90d70e.jpg

Last edited:

anzhu

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Hi everyone,

I rarely post, but thought I would share my experience with everyone. Like everyone has mentioned in this thread my iP7 Plus Black had the creak/click every time i pressed on the two opposite corners (imaging trying to twist the phone). I had the pentalobe screw driver at home so I thought I would give a crack at tightening the screws at the bottom by the lightning port. It turns out it wasn't because the screws were loose, it actually creaks because they were a bit too tight. I loosed the two screws by half a turn and the creaking went away. If you already have the proper screw driver I suggest giving it a go. Very simple fix and I am happy to report I've been creak free!

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
My carrier T-Mobile also thought this was unacceptable and they are replacing my phone for me. Apple did not believe me, which is kind of ********. I will be chatting with them to tell them about the crappy experience I had at the Genius Bar on Friday.

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Hi everyone,

I rarely post, but thought I would share my experience with everyone. Like everyone has mentioned in this thread my iP7 Plus Black had the creak/click every time i pressed on the two opposite corners (imaging trying to twist the phone). I had the pentalobe screw driver at home so I thought I would give a crack at tightening the screws at the bottom by the lightning port. It turns out it wasn't because the screws were loose, it actually creaks because they were a bit too tight. I loosed the two screws by half a turn and the creaking went away. If you already have the proper screw driver I suggest giving it a go. Very simple fix and I am happy to report I've been creak free!
You should not do that because of the water seal...

dallasthunder

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Houston, TX
iPhone 7+ 128GB Matte Black experiencing creaking/popping at top left, bottom right close to the home button and by speaker, and when squeezed. Made Genius Bar appointment after waiting a few days to see if it would work itself out, and of course, following this thread...store is out of them but replacement should arrive in ~3 days. I know all companies have QC and issues with production from time to time, but I'm not willing to 'settle'. Have to get it right...here's to hoping the replacement is good. I've had several folks confirm their 7+ doesn't have this issue.

Harambedid911

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
iPhone 7+ 128GB Matte Black experiencing creaking/popping at top left, bottom right close to the home button and by speaker, and when squeezed. Made Genius Bar appointment after waiting a few days to see if it would work itself out, and of course, following this thread...store is out of them but replacement should arrive in ~3 days. I know all companies have QC and issues with production from time to time, but I'm not willing to 'settle'. Have to get it right...here's to hoping the replacement is good. I've had several folks confirm their 7+ doesn't have this issue.
Well I hope you're right, I've personally had 4 different 7+'s and they all did it to some degree but each requires different force to reproduce the sound. The bastards are refusing to replace it again for the clicking unless they can confirm a new iPhone won't have the problem. They actually told me it's expected! "Well if it's within spec..." said the corner cutting prick. "Unless something changes in manufacturing we won't issue you a replacement for the same problem"

3 of the phones were black 1 jet black
So whoever said the other colors are different could still be right

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.