Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Am I the only one who is happy with 16GB?

I don't need my whole iTunes library on phone with 1000 albums and movies because i can stream everything or just decide what I really use and need.

I don't have 50 games, just 5 I really have time for and play.

I take tons of pictures and videos, upload them to the cloud and remove from the phone.

I have almost all the time 5-6GB free.

iPhone 6s 16GB.
You are the only one.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
So due to the value of a currency dropping the price rose accordingly. Apple really isn't pushing up the base price, just compensating for crappy currencies.
The same crappy currencies make buying components and assembling them cheaper for apple

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Also, this fascination with water-proof phones - why; more important how? The microphone and the speaker need open access to the air to be able to use the device as a phone! If people are so desperate to throw their iPhones into a lake and dive after it, they can use one of those bulky cases available already for about 4+ years.

Apparently, competitors offering waterproof phones for a few years now and aggressively touting it...

and

works. Even Apple can't forever pooh, pooh competitor feature advantages that gain some traction.

Of course, waterproofing doesn't depend on ejecting 3.5mm- why is getting rid of a round hole but leaving a larger, nearby, rectangular hole a key to waterproofing? Answer: it's not. That's just spin.

Now pass the champagne.

Last edited:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
"But, but, but ... There's no reason to offer 32GB base storage, 16GB is plenty for most people ... The 16GB models are flying off the shelves ..."

Where are all of these Apple appologists now?
Munching popcorn, watching the Apple haters try to spin this rumor negatively.

Reactions: page404

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I understand Apple's thought process on eliminating the 64GB configuration, but I don't like it. Removing the most popular option has a tendency to bite you in the ass.
The 64gb option was the middle tier. They'll keep the price the same for the middle tier device and just give an extra 64gb. I don't see why this is a bad thing.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Barely scratched the surface of my 64 GB 6s. What Apple needs to do is give me some more iCloud storage for free. I only have 2 GBs remaining.

Yeah, 5GB of iCloud storage is a joke. That's why I use Google Drive mainly. They offer 15GB free off the bat, and by taking advantage of some offers for free bonus, I'm up to 19GB now. Similarly, I'm up to 30GB of free OneDrive storage.

Basically all I use iCloud Drive for is as a quick way to transfer small files on and off my iPad.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I live where it rains a lot, it would be nice to use my phone when it's raining and not care that it's getting wet. Just because you can't see the need for something doesn't mean there aren't others who could use it.

A water resistant smartphone is really not easy to design - that was my point. And, a water-proof smart phone is impossible to make and have it usable to talk and listen.

Watch makers have been it making clear what a water resistant vs water-proof watch means, spelling out the distinction between the two terms.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
Because more people will upgrade to the mid tier if they keep the base model at 32gb.

Also, I like the consistency with the iPad Pros, err iPad Pro devices.

It is very much looking like the iPhone 7 Plus will be my first iPhone since the iPhone 4, which was a horrible experience for me. I've had enough of The Samsung.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Barely scratched the surface of my 64 GB 6s. What Apple needs to do is give me some more iCloud storage for free. I only have 2 GBs remaining.
I have 15 GB available on my 128 GB 6s, and I upgraded my iCloud storage to the 50GB level.

Clearly, one of us is doing it wrong. I just don't know which one.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I doubt it. They have kept iPhone pricing steady for years.
[doublepost=1464792453][/doublepost]

Sure but that same statement would be true prior to the iPad Pro 9.7 announcement. And unlike most iPads, iPhones in the U.S. are mostly paid for in installments now so it's even easier to get away with a $100 price increase because it's "just another $8 a month." We see that kind of rationalization here and elsewhere all the time when companies indiscriminately raise prices.

Given the tough competitive market smartphones are in right now it could be a tough sell. But I wouldn't count the prospect of a price hike out. I give it 50/50. But either way it will be a moot point if they don't handle the transition from headphone port audio to lightning port in a consumer friendly manner.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
makes you wonder why the Computers are locked at 8gb of RAM forever?!?!? RAM and SSD are basically the same
What are you talking about? Wrong on so many counts. Who locks RAM at 8GB? There are tons of com that have more than that. Also RAM and SSD are not the same. Not even close. RAM needs power to store data. Pull the plug and everything in there is gone. SSD isn't like that. !!??

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
God I hope this is ALL True ( as far as storage options go ) but I strongly hope and pray the current headphone jack remains.

Some standards are good and fine
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Does anyone even get close to using up 256 GB's on a phone...? (4K recording aside obviously)
Never tried. I filled 128 GB, with some cuts I'm down to about 90 GBs. Lossless music takes up tons of room, as does 4K video, full res pictures, etc.

When I had my iPhone 6 Plus ( 128 GB )
I hovered between 75 and 83 GB Used

Alas when it was stolen best I could manage was a 6 64 GB I hover between 50 and 57 GB Used

I try to keep a buffer for iOS and app updates. I mostly do pics and have a decent sized app library

Reactions: HVDynamo

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

iphone6s-scene2-250x367.jpeg
Following a recent report claiming the iPhone 7 will ship with at least 32GB base storage, with Apple dropping the infamous 16GB model, research firm TrendForce adds that the mid-tier 64GB storage option may be replaced with 128GB alongside a new 256GB version at the high end of the lineup.The new storage options would henceforth be 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB, although the report does not make it entirely clear if the 256GB version will be exclusive to the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus or also available for the 4.7-inch model. The current storage options for both the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus include 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB.

Earlier this year, Chinese website MyDrivers said the iPhone 7 Plus may exclusively feature 256GB storage and a 12.7 percent larger 3,100 mAh battery. In terms of credibility, the website did accurately report on the iPhone SE's 1,624 mAh battery and 2GB of RAM before Apple launched the 4-inch smartphone.

The remainder of the report corroborates other well-known rumors, including a dual-lens camera and 3GB of LPDDR4 RAM being exclusive to the 5.5-inch model. The 4.7-inch model is expected to retain a single-lens camera and 2GB of RAM. No major display upgrades are expected until Apple switches to OLED in 2017.

Recent rumors suggest the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will share a design similar to the iPhone 6s series, sans a 3.5mm headphone jack, with more significant changes coming to the 2017 iPhone. This year's new features could include a faster A10 chip, waterproofing, repositioned antenna bands, faster LTE and Wi-Fi chips, and more.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Series Said to Have 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB Storage Options

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Apple just needs to start allowing for MicroSD expandable storage & let the user decide how much total storage he or she wants.
I don't want to spend any time managing which apps and what data is stored in internal storage or in various fingernail sized chips that I have to swap in and out. If you store large apps on MicroSD (like Atari game cartridges!), do the icons disappear if you eject the card? Do you carry around a tiny Case Logic brand card file to keep them organized? What if you take your phone on a long trip, but leave the card with your music collection behind?

I've grown comfortable with the way iOS keeps the file structure out of the way. I don't yearn for MicroSD.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
The 64gb option was the middle tier. They'll keep the price the same for the middle tier device and just give an extra 64gb. I don't see why this is a bad thing.
I think some of us just don't believe in Apple giving us this on their dollar.

I believe that Apple has margins and user experience be damned, if a feature doesn't fit under margins it's not going in. Look at the 6+ vs 6S+. That extra 1GB of RAM does make a significant user experience difference, but think of how long it took Apple to finally move to 2GB.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I waited and kept my 6 plus, and this might be the first Iphone where I skip the next gen but with major changes coming for the 8 , I can live with my 6 for another 1.5 year

Reactions: smacrumon

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
As I said in yesterday's thread, for all I care they can sell an 8 gig phone - if people buy it, then great for them and for Apple. the real issue for me is the price. $100 jump for each tier of memory is a bit much even when accounting for the margins that Apple like to keep. I think they could something like

iPhone with 16gig $600
iPhone with 32gig $650
iPhone with 64gig $700
iPhone with 128gig $750
Why would you want Apple to sell an 8GB phone that fills within the user's first month of use, rendering the device essentially broken? That makes no sense. Apple's mantra in the past has been "it just works". 8GB will start popping up storage full errors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.