Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applepi_loganm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Needing recommendations on an app that will do the following:
  1. Automatic photo/video backups through wifi to local drive (NAS or PC/Mac HDD)
  2. Ability to schedule backup time and select exact folder location
  3. Automatic backups should work in the background, for example at night when phone is on charger
  4. Path of transfer does not leave local network - does not use any external internet data
  5. Pictures/Video at backup location are easily browsed in Finder
  6. (not required) would be cool if backup also included complete iPhone backup/restore capability

I've spent hours searching the internet and have found only a few apps that are close to what I'm looking for, but so far haven't found an app that meets all of my requirements. I've found some backup apps that only save to their cloud, or doesn't allow me to browse the pictures, or just doesn't give the control I want. Maybe someone has experience with a paid app that does all of this that they would like to recommend!

Thanks!
Logan

applepi_loganm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks! Imazing seems great for backing up my phone automatically and to a specified file location, and some other great features as well. I probably will invest in it!

But what it doesn’t do, that i was originally wanting, is save my photos to a file folder (outside of the backup). I tried PhotoSync, but it was not automatic and didn’t work in the background of the phone. Imazing is soooo close to what i want as far as how it operates, i just want the pictures accessible from the Mac to organize and browse and edit.

Thank you!

Take a look at iMazing. I think it does most of what you are after there.

https://imazing.com

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imazing-manage-your-iphone-your-way.2147291/

There is a thread here where one of the devs is active, so you might ask him for specifics.

JennyBright

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
So have you come up with the ideal app according to your needs? Curous cause I might need something like you in the future.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks! Imazing seems great for backing up my phone automatically and to a specified file location, and some other great features as well. I probably will invest in it!

But what it doesn’t do, that i was originally wanting, is save my photos to a file folder (outside of the backup). I tried PhotoSync, but it was not automatic and didn’t work in the background of the phone. Imazing is soooo close to what i want as far as how it operates, i just want the pictures accessible from the Mac to organize and browse and edit.

Thank you!
Imazing was on sale recently for $16.00. The discount code is Deal20, if it is still accepted.

I have been using it for several years. Excellent app. Apple offers are pale in comparison.

applepi_loganm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
So update... I haven't had a lot of time to further look into this. But I have turned on Photostream and iCloud photos on my phone. Then set Photos on Mac to download automatically. So all my pictures are automatically synced into Photos app! With Calatina, you can backup phone over wifi, so maybe not as much functionality as imazing, but close! I might buy imazing if they ever have a $16 sale again - I did like the demo.
[automerge]1571686208[/automerge]
Now I just need to figure out the best way to sync photos in Photo library from my internal SSD onto my Time Capsule, or at least save the library easily to Time Capsule without letting my primary library get too large for my SSD and without having dozens of library's on the Time Capsule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.