Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdkid2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Iowa
FYI, it's not double. The current iPod Touch is 0.33 inches in thickness, as compared to the iPhone's 0.37 inches in thickness. 0.35 would allow for a camera.

I would totally except a touch as thick as the iPhone. It's not that thick to begin with (yes, that's what she said... I know)

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Next killer app - forward facing camera on ipod.
This will cut the knees out from under the Cell phone companies.
This might be a harbinger of a new long term strategy for Apple. Phoneless communications for the masses.

r00fus

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
You know, between this, my iPad, and the free wireless service I get from my employer on the HTC EVO 4G, I'm starting to feel really good about not re-upping with AT&T on the iPhone 4. When this rumor pans out, there will be virtually nothing left to differentiate the iPhone from the iPod touch other than dropped calls, capped 3G, and GPS.

I just hope my iPad holds a decent resale value when the Captain finally releases the Facetime/front camera-enabled version :rolleyes:

Not to mention a microphone, thicker body, and mandatory 2-year plan... yeah, I do think the iPod Touch w/Facetime sounds like a win, but I prefer voice calls for now, and trust me, Apple thinks long and hard about avoiding "cannibalization".

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
No way will that be a FaceTime camera. Looks like it will be just a sensor or a camera.

I hope you know if it's just a camera, Facetime can still happen, since you imply that the "facetime camera" is some special camera for the iPhone 4.

In reality, it's just a VGA camera.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't think I'll be able to get one before I take my vacation. :(

It'll probably cost more than my CPU, motherboard, and RAM too...

jablkowegadzety

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Well that looks ok, but there is no way it would be that thin. Just the 5 megapixel camera module itself is almost twice as thick as you made the entire device! So, I don't see that design happening, sorry.

It is just a concept design , so everything it's possible.

(sorry for my english mistakes iam writing from Poland )

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Well that looks ok, but there is no way it would be that thin. Just the 5 megapixel camera module itself is almost twice as thick as you made the entire device! So, I don't see that design happening, sorry.

Ummm, wheres your magical 5mp camera coming from, no way the touch will get that. if you think so, i have a bridge in brooklyn you might be interested in.

jablkowegadzety

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Ummm, wheres your magical 5mp camera coming from, no way the touch will get that. if you think so, i have a bridge in brooklyn you might be interested in.

Perssonaly i'am on 2mpx or 3gs 3mpx ,and still nothing about gps for ipod touch- Why who use this? But maybe ipad have it so ipod maybe shoud.

But when ipod get gps and etc. Why not add a 3g for it :D

iPod Touch 3G - looks nice (as a name for product) :D

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Okay, so I compared this assembly with the current iPod Touch, although it's not exactly accurate, that cutout area for the screen is much larger; possibly even 4.0 inches. I assume that if this design is actually real, the screen won't be taking up that entire space.

For prediction's sake, and assuming the screen will be increased, I'm gonna say we'll be seeing a 3.8/4.0 inch screen on the iPod Touch 4th Gen.

Briview

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, so I compared this assembly with the current iPod Touch, although it's not exactly accurate, that cutout area for the screen is much larger; possibly even 4.0 inches. I assume that if this design is actually real, the screen won't be taking up that entire space.

For prediction's sake, and assuming the screen will be increased, I'm gonna say we'll be seeing a 3.8/4.0 inch screen on the iPod Touch 4th Gen.

Then I am sure they won't be featuring the former and current 480x320 because that would just look plain ugly on the new iPod (and the device is Apple's flagship mobile gaming platform), so it's going to need the Retina Display on that new screen... and in order to make the performance live up to the upgraded/enhanced graphics, Apple needs to place the A4 in there.

If Apple adds a microphone and any rear camera, then this will be the ultimate mobile experience!

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I think they will make it look more like a small iPad rather than an iPhone. The back will likely be made of the same aluminum as the iPad and will not be glass. There will be a 5 or 7 inch iPod touch (not iPad mini) introduced as well. It too will have FaceTime. The iPad will get FaceTime when it moves to iOS 4.2 and current iPad owners will be able to buy a camera accessory that will likely plug into the 30 pin connector or operate over bluetooth and clip on the the iPad.

All speculation, but plausible I believe.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Then I am sure they won't be featuring the former and current 480x320 because that would just look plain ugly on the new iPod (and the device is Apple's flagship mobile gaming platform), so it's going to need the Retina Display on that new screen... and in order to make the performance live up to the upgraded/enhanced graphics, Apple needs to place the A4 in there.

If Apple adds a microphone and any rear camera, then this will be the ultimate mobile experience!

If said screen does increase in size, then there's no doubt they'd up the resolution. Even if it doesn't, I think it's pretty certain the retina display will come to fruition on the iPod. It serves the purpose of pushing developers to update their apps to HD graphics.

I'm guessing this:

(iPod Touch)
128 GB (Eliminating the iPod Classic, this or next year)
New Design to match iPhone
Front Facing Camera (A back camera, I doubt. It's not Apple's style to do everything at once)
Retina Display

(iPad)
128 GB
Same Design
Front Facing Camera
A back camera is highly doubtful.
(iPhone) Early 2011
64 GB
Redesigned Antenna

To my knowledge, this would fit how Apple rolls their products out. There's a reason the iPhone 4 didn't launch with 64GB. If it had launched as such, there would be no incentive for people to purchase the iPod Touch, and it would also diminish iPad sales by a small margin. This way, they can introduce the 128Gb iPod Touch, place the focus on this and the iPad, then launch a 64Gb iPhone, therein spreading the focus.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Also, do you know if this is the retina display?

Why do people keep thinking the new iPod touch will be anything other than iPhone 4 style? Yes it will have the retina display... it will be exactly the same specs as the iPhone4 except no PHONE.

I've even gone as far as predicting they'll drop the 64GB model to keep it from competing with the iPad.

Mark my words! :)

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Does anyone know if this has the retina display as well?

Makes sense that it will. If Apple has the ipod/iphone with the same resolution, then app designers can design for one resolution and get great results.
Apps designed for retina display will also look great on the ipad without the need for the 2x button. Games will work great on all platforms without need for redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.