Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is extreme recycling.....

How do you make money with your leftovers? You sell them as "New item"!

While it's easy to make fun of due to the similar internal layout, and complaints have some grounds in that they "downgraded" the screen, but the new iPad still has faster, modern internals. It's still a new iPad, just not in every way possible.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Mate, if you need command line for iPad, have you tried Prompt by Panic? No, you can't use it for local work, but if it's a remote terminal you need, it's very nice.
Of course it's for local work. And coding on the iPad with remote shell via the iPad has never taken so much time and with so many typing errors, compared to years on a normal system. It's really not the same. Not for daily use, multiple sessions and tabs open .. Why am I defending myself?

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I don't get people's issues, so apple now has several lines
1. the ipad, the iphone SE, the macbook - Entry level systems (yes macbook is expensive but still an entry level laptop)
2. the ipad pro 12 inch, the iphone 7 plus, the macbook pro with touchbar - High level systems
3. ipad mini/ipad pro 9 inch, iphone 6S/7, macbook pro without touch bar - mid tier systems

Isn't is good to have choice? i love my ipad air 1, and if this is the same as it with a faster processor and touch ID great!!!, but i'll probably go for a new 9 inch ipad pro as i'd like to use the pencil and keyboard

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Calm down. Pro 2 is coming.

I'm calm, but...

Mac Pro, forgotten for 3+ years
Mac mini, forgotten for 2+ years.

Saying something "is coming" is meaningless until it's here, right? It's approaching April 1, Apple's 40th birthday, and there are no new Macs in sight, as Tim promised. They have become more about the "Christmas" sales season than anything else, it seems. We may has well call them the Christmas Company.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Anyone know if all the controls and cutouts (volume buttons, power, microphone holes, speaker holes, etc.) align in the same locations as the iPad Air? I'm hoping to be able to use my old leather smart case (which is no longer manufactured) for this iPad if I decide to buy it.

Not sure but there would certainly be a little extra hole for the hold switch that's on the Air but that isn't on the new iPad.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
While it's easy to make fun of due to the similar internal layout, and complaints have some grounds in that they "downgraded" the screen, but the new iPad still has faster, modern internals. It's still a new iPad, just not in every way possible.

Did not say they did not update some component but... iPad Air 1 screen, iPad Air 1 Shell, and most of the internal..

Again, I did not say they did not update the ipad, i claimed they recycled...and that is what they did, lots of part from the now very old iPad Air 1 in there!

Hope this is not part of "We have great product in our pipelines" just saying.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Of course it's for local work. And coding on the iPad with remote shell via the iPad has never taken so much time and with so many typing errors, compared to years on a normal system. It's really not the same. Not for daily use, multiple sessions and tabs open .. Why am I defending myself?

Do you use a Bluetooth keyboard?

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
To the people who say, they don't innovate. Well it is slow at the moment. BUT - the iPad Pro line is now the "big line" isn't? The normal iPad is more the affordable tablet for everyone? ;-) So would have been strange if this one, was better than the iPad Pro.

But iPad 5? Skipping the Pro's here.

iPad
iPad 2
The New iPad
iPad 4
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad 5??? More like 7 not taking the Pro lineup with in this :)

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Anyone know if all the controls and cutouts (volume buttons, power, microphone holes, speaker holes, etc.) align in the same locations as the iPad Air? I'm hoping to be able to use my old leather smart case (which is no longer manufactured) for this iPad if I decide to buy it.

They usually move the smart magnets to force you to buy a new smart case. Don't know about this one yet tho.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
I don't get it.
The iPad Air 2 has the ideal size/thickness/weight.
When I replaced my Air with the Air2, I couldn't believe how much better the Air2 feels in comparison.

The laminated screen is 2 year old technology, so it can't be that much of a cost factor.
Apple ruins a(n almost) perfect tablet to save a few cents.

Well, the upcoming 10" iPad Pro will probably have the Air2's smaller footprint (or be even smaller).
But for a very high price.
Which very few people would be willing to pay if there were an upgraded Air2 around.

I understand this move from a financial perspective.
But it's definitely not a good move for Apple's customers.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Slightly faster be damned. I'd take a much nicer, and probably cheaper in price, iPad Air 2 over this outdated product.

Reactions: RowellE

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
True that, before we had:
Steve let you choose between:
Good
Better
Best

Time lets you choose between:
now we have
Meh
Super Meh
Wow that is Meh
Average
A little over averave
Good
Superexpensive
Old sold as new

So much choice!!

No we didn't, we had:

Best (High price), one screen size.

Now we have:

Better (Mid price)
Best (High price)

with a choice of screen sizes.

Reactions: Kiwikat88

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Steve returned and simplified the confusing product lines of the "old Apple" (pre-1998).

I'm sure that people (i.e., we techies) in 1995 used to think Apple was great because of all the choices they had.

But that actually turned out to be quite a detriment, and intimidated the mainstream consumers away from buying Apple.

Just look at us right now for all the proof you need.

Reactions: 8692574

R.T.

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2016
This is simply a low cost ipad, i see no problem with it. We know a new ipad pro is coming out this year so what's the big deal? It's not like Apple is saying this is the only new ipad that's coming out. I'm actually thinking of buying this for my dad, he doesn't really need a top of the line tablet.

Reactions: 5105973

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
The reaction to this device is, like the devices themselves, very similar to the reactions to the iPhone SE over the 5/5S/6S which that was a hybrid of. Positive from people who value the low price option, negative from people who don't get that and seemingly only ever want ever-more powerful and expensive devices than anything released before.

I think it's great that Apple are bringing back proven hardware in a new combination at a lower price.

Well, here's the thing. the SE for a lot of people is the successor to the iPhone 5 series. The form factor for the 6 and 7 and 8 (by sounds of it) pushes it into a different market segment.

The 2017 iPad is a downgrade from its predecessor. I mean, what would you chose? A new iPad 2017 or a refurbished iPad Air 2 at the same price?

And not to get into political stuff, but given the UK (where I am)'s political/economic situation, it's especially important if Apple wants to retain its level of sales here, because the price rises on existing products threatens to seriously damage Apple in the UK IMHO. Of course so does having ancient computers at those inflated prices too, but that's a whole other issue by itself.

Prices for Apple products haven't changed in England. Your currency is just devaluing which you should blame your government for as it's their doing. You can't expect your currency to plunge but prices in your currency to stay constant as that makes those products so much cheaper in your country that people will buy them there and sell for profit elsewhere. Also, it will eat into Apple profits and shareholders want less people to pay more than more people to pay less in the long run.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Steve returned and simplified the confusing product lines of the "old Apple" (pre-1998).

I'm sure that people (i.e., we techies) in 1995 used to think Apple was great because of all the choices they had.

But that actually turned out to be quite a detriment, and intimidated the mainstream consumers away from buying Apple.
One hundred million times this!

Reactions: phillytim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.