Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
I thought it was going to be tomorrow before I got to the end of this thread. Sign me up. I want an aluminum macbook with a black keyboard. I will purchase it right away.

captnfun

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
Acer has a 16" 1080p Laptop for sale, with Blu-Ray built in, and HDMI etc....

Looked like a good machine

Looks like the kind of machine Apple used to make, out on the cutting edge. The kind switchers Lusted after. EVERYONE else has blu-ray options, Dell for less than $1K!

I agree that the Feb update was not really an update, but a bump. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, I think by June would be right.

Grad gifts, tax rebate checks, Apple doesn't want to let the money get away...

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Looks like the kind of machine Apple used to make, out on the cutting edge. The kind switchers Lusted after. EVERYONE else has blu-ray options, Dell for less than $1K!

I agree that the Feb update was not really an update, but a bump. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, I think by June would be right.

Grad gifts, tax rebate checks, Apple doesn't want to let the money get away...

yeah, apple use to be cutting edge like having a backlit keyboard, the first 17 inch laptop, getting rid of a floppy drive. they used to be different too by using powerpc processors but now they are using intel procs and can run windows. they dont even have apple keys anymore! i wonder how they will differentiate themselves from competitors. in the mac world, we lust over the 320 gb hd option on the macbook pros but when you look at the $899 hp's at best buy, they have them too.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There are quite a few refurbished Macbooks on Apple's Store now. We might just see the United States Back To School Offer start tomorrow though. :(

omega21

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
Alberta / Canada
Personally..

I hope that the Macbook Pro's get re-designed soon. As soon as they do I'm jumping for one to use at University.

I hope the keyboard gets the chiclet-key like on the Air and iMac keyboards. Hopefully a little thinner, lighter if possible, and a larger touch pad for better multi-touch.

I found a nice mockup- I hope they look like this!
macbook1.jpg

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I hope that the Macbook Pro's get re-designed soon. As soon as they do I'm jumping for one to use at University.

I hope the keyboard gets the chiclet-key like on the Air and iMac keyboards. Hopefully a little thinner, lighter if possible, and a larger touch pad for better multi-touch.

macbook1.jpg

I doubt it.

How do you solve the problem of making the DVI, Firewire, and ethernet ports thinner?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
You seem to be quoting readers and not burners. Most people will not get a BlueRay reader in a laptop as they lose the ability to write.

Are people really looking for a BTO for a $800 or $900 BR Burner in a laptop?

Are there any Blu-ray burners would be thin enough in height and slot-loading?

I can't see Apple adding Blu-Ray just yet.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What's with the Blu-ray crowd all of the sudden? What software would we use short of a massive DVD Player update and not to mention the lack of hardware decoding support?

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
I need a new portable and the Asus eee is looking real good unless they give me something to replace my 12in PowerBook

That doesn't make any sense to me. I would think that a 12" thinkpad (x61s) would be a much better alternative. The EeePC isn't even comparable.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
If this were to happen; the amount of hate would bend space-time, and likely create new and unusual elements. Perhaps someone should alert CERN

LOL :D You have a point there! :cool:

(Update the mini.)

I agree, the Mac Mini could use an overhaul. :)

...update that would make sense is FINALLY updating the discontinued 12 inch PBG4 to MBP levels.:)

How I long for an updated version of the 12" PowerBook G4 - one of the greatest laptops ever!

Interesting photo, thanks for sharing omega21. :)

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
What is the big deal? I don't see the point to update MB so soon, besides if Apple will you will get only:
1 more processor (increase only minuscule amount after 0. For example 2.4-2.6 vs current 2.1-2.4.)

2 bigger hard drive. +40GB for starting model?

3 Case redesign?

so that is it. Life is short. How much is point 1 and 2 worth to you?

There are only 2 certain things- things will become different in a future. Things will be better (or not)...:D:D:D

Besides mockups are not realistic- it is not possible physically to slim down like this with 2.5 hard drive and dvd superdrive.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
What's with the Blu-ray crowd all of the sudden? What software would we use short of a massive DVD Player update and not to mention the lack of hardware decoding support?

Actually, IIRC, Montevina has hardware decode for the major HD codecs (MPEG2, AVC-1 (MS) and H.264). So from that point, BR is a possibility.

That is, if Intel can manage to make drivers for it that actually work and the hardware doesn't have any substantial bugs in it.

And as for why a MB upgrade, if they include video decoder support, along with the faster chips and the new Al casing, thats a big enough deal. I'll be happy to upgrade from my 1.83GHz Core Duo MB that is 2 years old this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.