Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
It's not a phone, it's a handheld computer with phone capabilities. Let's be honest about everything these devices (not just the iPhone) can do, and stop calling them phones.

Depending on who you're talking to, his/her age and background, the word "phone" could mean very different things.

A phone used to be this thing with a rotary wheel in the middle, connected to the phone company via a wire going into the wall. Then it meant a cellphone. And after that, smartphone (SMS, mp3 player, address book, etc). And now it's a portable computer (Blackberry, iPhone, Android, etc).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
It looks to me like the home button will be back lit. That's why it needs a complete square holder to block out the light around the button and only have the home button icon lit up. When you look at the back view it seems to have a clear plastic where the icon is.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
It would be cool if the small square in the middle lit up to provide visual notification.

Hopefully Apple will use RGB Leds to have different colors for different notifications (user-configurable, of course - some of us can't clearly differentiate between most green/yellow LED indicators).

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Seriously? Page 1? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Also, does *anyone* here really expect the 6th-gen iPhone to be called iPhone 5...? I mean, really??? This has been annoying me since the day 4S (the real "iPhone 5") was released. One comes to expect this kind of ignorance from the rest of the media, but on mac rumors... really??? :confused:

Bah! Perhaps they will call it iPhone 5. If they do, however, it will be :apple: bowing to public ignorance (spawned and perpetuated by tech media ignorance), not because it makes ANY kind of sense to have a product called "iPhone 5 (6th generation)". /rant

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Seriously? Page 1? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Also, does *anyone* here really expect the 6th-gen iPhone to be called iPhone 5...? I mean, really??? This has been annoying me since the day 4S (the real "iPhone 5") was released. One comes to expect this kind of ignorance from the rest of the media, but on mac rumors... really??? :confused:

Bah! Perhaps they will call it iPhone 5. If they do, however, it will be :apple: bowing to public ignorance (spawned and perpetuated by tech media ignorance), not because it makes ANY kind of sense to have a product called "iPhone 5 (6th generation)". /rant

Take a deep breath! Count to ten! It will all be okay. Just Relax!

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Holding off

Well, looks like I'm holding off till the new iPhone comes out. Not sure if gust

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Take a deep breath! Count to ten! It will all be okay. Just Relax!

Of course it'll be ok, smartypants. But it's still stupid. I'm actually genuinely curious how & why the "iPhone 5" name has "stuck" for the 6th gen iPhone, since it makes no logical sense to anyone who actually pays attention to these things (e.g. anyone who can count past 5). Yet I've never really seen a good explanation. It's just one of those little annoying curiousities. Trust me, I have better things to worry about.

Does that slightly less breathless take on it satisfy you? Or should I just not be puzzled by this, since you incorrectly assume it will give me a heart attack.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Omfg

Why is everyone obsessed with square home buttons? last time i checked humans have round fingertips...

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
WOW!!! ..Is that....Is that...iphone 5 home button!!! OMG..

Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...Fap...

Seriously...groundbreaking news that.

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
OMG A HOME BUTTON!!!!11!!!?!!!!

This will SURELY change my life for the better :):):):eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::eek::eek::):):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::apple::apple::apple:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the tiny square thing doesnt seem to be simply painted on anymore? maybe it does have some kind of LED to glow through? wishful thinking, probably not gonna happen

edit: nevermind ... oh the irony, it was the 4S one i looked at xD

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Of course it'll be ok, smartypants. But it's still stupid. I'm actually genuinely curious how & why the "iPhone 5" name has "stuck" for the 6th gen iPhone, since it makes no logical sense to anyone who actually pays attention to these things (e.g. anyone who can count past 5). Yet I've never really seen a good explanation. It's just one of those little annoying curiousities. Trust me, I have better things to worry about.

Does that slightly less breathless take on it satisfy you? Or should I just not be puzzled by this, since you incorrectly assume it will give me a heart attack.

This is good. I was worried for a bit. :) I`m sure Apple will come up with a name nobody has guessed before like they always do anyway. So whatever we call it is just an identification for the upcoming iPhone.

Kev052683

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
This is concrete evidence that the new iPhone will have a larger screen. No longer a doubt in my mind.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Depending on who you're talking to, his/her age and background, the word "phone" could mean very different things.

A phone used to be this thing with a rotary wheel in the middle, connected to the phone company via a wire going into the wall. Then it meant a cellphone. And after that, smartphone (SMS, mp3 player, address book, etc). And now it's a portable computer (Blackberry, iPhone, Android, etc).

Right? The other day my six year old daughter was drawing a phone to play with. She drew the number buttons, all in the right spots, so I asked her, "what else is on a phone?", wanting to hear how she would describe the '#' and '*' buttons. She replied, "videos?". " . . . mm hmm . . . yes".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.