Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowlisawoww

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
I've had a real hard time trying to decide which color I'm going for for my next MacBook. It's a lot of money and I don't want to regret my decision.

Please help me choose. SILVER OR ROSEGOLD??

Vendoz

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
Space Grey :D hahaha kidding! RoseGold is much more stylish! But if you plan to resell it, perhaps silver can be better!

Reactions: wowlisawoww
Jun 28, 2017
I've had a real hard time trying to decide which color I'm going for for my next MacBook. It's a lot of money and I don't want to regret my decision.

Hi Wowlisawoww!!! Being honest, I have the iPhone SE in rose gold and I love it, I never tire of it - it's warm! I love the way that it changes colour in the sunlight etc. I saw the rose gold MacBook in the Apple store and instantly fell in love with it! I'm saving for one. Silver to me is a bit year 2000 - remember when 'everyone' bought silver cars and it quickly dated!
I really like the space grey too but rose gold is for me - it's just so damn nice! It's classy, it's chic!
PS Well done to Apple for this year's M3 - they really have a winner there!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Had a gold 2015, rose gold 2016, and now a silver 2017 (following my policy of "get the new colour, or if there isn't a new colour, get silver" :p )

They're all nice, though personally I'm not a fan of space grey at all.

However, in my experience if you get anything other than space grey, you take a hit on the resale value. Most people seem to want that colour.

So, silver will probably hold its value better, but still not as good as space grey. In which case, choosing between silver and rose gold, it's probably best to just pick the colour you were first drawn to, and not worry about the resale value! :)

wishxmaster

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2017
Turkey
Macbook 2016 was my first macbook and wanted rose gold but couldnt find it. so ı bought gold and start to use it. But rose gold was in my mind still so ı ordered Macbook 2017. Indeed there is no a lot of difference between 2016 and 2017 but ı gave that money just for get rose gold finally :)
Also my iphone 7 is rose gold too. obsessed with that colour and ı am not girl :)

You should choose which colour u like. But if you think about change in future silver is more easy to sell

Jun 28, 2017
I'm with Brookzy on this one totally - just follow your heart - you'll instantly know which one appeals to you. Buy-in a computer on colour just for resale value is pointless - all electrical items drop in value plus in 2019, there'll be a brand new design so any colour from 2017 will depreciate like crazy! Buy the one you love and enjoy every minute of it :)

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Just go into the store and pick the colour you love most!

I always thought I wanted space grey when they introduced the MacBook in 2015 , went into the Apple Store to look at them and didn't like the space gray at all. I love the silver and went with it , but u also loved the rose gold just thought it was a bit feminine for me to be carrying around haha

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I don't like the Space Gray at all either. In fact, it's the only colour I don't like. Well, it's OK, but I'd take Gold, Rose Gold, or Silver over it any day of the week. Space Gray IMO just looks very bland and conservative.

I bought silver although part of the reason is that it's easier to keep it pristine. If you baby any of the other colours it will do fine, but there's always the chance of paint chips. I know the Apple Store can be a rough environment, but the Space Gray I saw in store looked horrible after just a few small scrapes. Very high contrast between a dark gray background and a silver scratch. Instantly noticeable. Reminded me of the black iPhone 5.

My gold iPhone 5S held up well, but that's because it was always in a case. I don't keep my laptops in such cases. However, if you look at used models at used iPhone shops, the scratches on the coloured iPhones often look worse than the scratches on the silver ones, for obvious reasons.

joeob

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Wanted space gray. Out of stock and need quickly. Turned to silver and now actually love it. Silver is synonymous with MacBooks and the smaller form, contrast of keyboard etc looks ace.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I don't like the Space Gray at all either. In fact, it's the only colour I don't like. Well, it's OK, but I'd take Gold, Rose Gold, or Silver over it any day of the week. Space Gray IMO just looks very bland and conservative.
Yes, if they made a matte black option I would be interested but the space grey is just rubbish in my option - it shows scratches like you say, but also dirt and fingerprints show up more. In some light it looks purple. It's just a horrible in-between colour. And Apple can't make it consistently, either: I've had MacBook Pros (that I returned) where the top case and the screen were completely different shades.

I hate it so much that I am hoping they make the iMac Pro in silver too.

The worst part, though, is that every "space grey" product is actually a different shade. Put every space grey product next to each other and I don't think there is a single commonality, except perhaps between the iPads (but even then, it changes with each generation).

Funnily, they deceptively make it look matte black on the website. If space grey actually looked like that then I might buy it! :p

macbook-2017-gallery2.jpeg

Jun 28, 2017
I love space grey on the MacBook that would be my second choice after rose gold. Silver to me is bland but hey, that's the beauty of the MacBook, we have a choice of colours that appeal to us all :)

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany

If you are into photo editing go with silver. Applications like Photoshop have a grey workspace for a reason. A red(dish) colored MacBook would deceive your eyes and lets colors appear differently.

Reactions: Precursor

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
IMO the Rose Gold macbook is one of the better looking devices Apple has made in recent years. It alternately looks pink, true "rose gold" and penny copper depending on the lighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.