Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Although I'm an Apple user, Im kinda disappointed that this blog only posts about negative things about Apple competitors. Samsung has announced last night that they'd compensate G Note 7 buyers with $25 credit for other manufacturer's phones or up to $100 for another Samsung phone.
Not that that would relieve the horror this incident may have caused, i really hope Macrumors would give us "balanced" info.
Yes I know this is a Apple-Biased site, but that doesn't mean the journalists should give myopic views to its readers.

MacRumors did post about that compensation.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Yeah, I'd love to see your average TSA agent try to tell a Galaxy Note 7 apart from any other Samsung cell phone.
As long as they put their reading glasses on it shouldn't be a problem:
galaxy-note-7-back-black-2.jpg

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Doesn't catch fire. Should get repaired if it happens. No need for a recall since the majority of phones are not affected, and nothing bad will happen to you if the phone breaks.

Maybe not to an apologist but inability to use the screen to call 911 or family member is considered critical.

Clearly there are many people affected who are getting blown off or have paid out of pocket but not getting reimbursed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-over-iphone-6-touch-disease.2005496/page-11

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I hope they find the cause of the problem. If it's only a 3-4 dpm, it is going to be looking for a needle in a haystack. Even if they do find one that catches on fire in their lab, hopefully there will be a way to determine the cause considering the defect may destroy the evidence.

Reactions: 5105973

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Wow. Couldn't he just ban it without resorting to Chicken Little language? Nothing like frightening the public in order to justify your job. Not to mention adding to the ignorance of the public about flight dangers in general. Sigh. So if "even one" incident is a high risk, then why haven't they heeded previous calls to ban electronics, calls that arose after iPhones and other devices have caught fire on airplanes? (Answer: because they know that cabin smartphone fires are -- and have been each time so far -- easily handled by crews trained for it because of their own airline-provided devices, and because the mass public would have a hissy fit if the majority couldn't use their smartphones and tablets onboard.)
What an ignorant post... the Samsung phones aren't just catching fire, they are exploding, even while they are powered off. It's absolutely a perfectly justifiable and proper governmental function to ban these devices on aircrafts carrying hundreds of people 38,000 feet in the air. Samsung has not only recalled and replaced the phones with new exploding phones, but they've now given up entirely on the Note 7 because even they do not know how to stop them from exploding. All that's left to say is we're quite glad your genius is not in charge of airline safety.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yeah, I'd love to see your average TSA agent try to tell a Galaxy Note 7 apart from any other Samsung cell phone.
Why would he or she even try? If it _might_ be a Note 7, it doesn't go on the plane.

Well, there might be easily identifiable differences. Like an iPhone 5 and 5s are very easily distinguished _if you know what to look for_. On the other hand, iPhone 6 vs. 6s seems to be impossible without checking "Settings".

totes_not_lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 14, 2016
People are seeing this as good for the iPhone 7, I think it's even better for Google Pixel.

Google could not have asked for a better start. There will be many people who will prefer to stick with Android and the Pixel is in the same kind of price range, at least at launch (Samsung's normally go half price/BOGO very quickly so we'll see if Google are prepared to swallow that within a month or two)

kdarling

macrumors P6
So my question is how does all of this relate to devices stored in the hold? And have there been any cases of fires from a li-ion device in checked baggage bringing a plane down? Because I honestly hadn't considered that before.

Good question. As I said, in-cabin battery fires are usually easily handled, as in this case on a KLM flight:

Or on that flight to Hawaii where an iPhone 6 burst into flames while over the Pacific. The young owner panicked, but the crew and other passengers reportedly did not.

Instead, it's the cargo hold fires that could be really deadly, even with fire containment systems, because there's no way to get to them. They can catch other cargo on fire and burn through flight controls in just minutes. Whereas an in-cabin battery fire usually just scorches the floor, with its real problem being the chance of generating enough smoke to make the pilots drop the masks. Annoying and a need to divert, but not normally deadly. (This FAA ban is much less about danger and much more about possible cost to airlines and inconvenience to passengers. Which are valid reasons.)

In fact, besides the deteriorating training of some pilots (witness the Colgan in Buffalo NY, and Air France Atlantic flights where the pilot/copilot incredibly held their yoke full back in a stall all the way to the crash, and that other flight where the pilots feathered the wrong engine), I think that a lithium fire in the hold is the most likely potential danger facing the flying public today... more than even the chances of terrorism (*).

-- Luggage hold smoke

One of the better things that's happened over the decades is the ability of pilots to anonymously report incidents to NASA's ASRS (aviation safety) database, without fear of reprisal. These reports allow researchers, and other pilots, to see others' errors and learn what dangers to avoid. They also show trends.

Though rarely reported in the news, there's been multiple times that flights have been delayed due to the pilot noticing smoke in the luggage hold on his pre-flight walkaround. Each time it's turned out to be an electronic game device or drone or something like that with lithium batteries. Imagine if the pilots had NOT noticed in time, and the planes had gone ahead in flight and caught fire where it could not be seen at first, and impossible to reach.

Plus, of course, there was the sad case of the UPS 747, actually carrying a large cargo of lithium batteries, that burned and crashed. They had no chance at all.

-- Lithium banned from hold, size limit in cabin

This is why all lithium batteries are banned from checked luggage, but not from the cabin. (Unless they're really big. There's a watt-hour limit on batteries that can be carried into the cabin, based on what can be easily contained by crew in case of thermal runaway. The limit for each battery group is 100 watt hours, which is fairly large. It equates for smartphones to about a 20,000 mAh battery pack. The 3500 mAh Note 7 battery is well within the limits.)

It's also why the British Airline Pilots Association recently asked their airlines to come up with new rules that would ensure that carry-on luggage with lithium batteries are marked as such, but not because of in-cabin danger... it's so that they will not be accidentally taken from passengers at the gate and put in the hold, like happens so often on crowded flights. In other words, they want the batteries kept in the cabin where any problem can be handled.

All for now. Regards.

(*) Although if even one US airliner is ever taken down in the USA by a shoulder-fired SAM, I think our economy and flight system will be dead meat for weeks at least.

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Wow. Couldn't he just ban it without resorting to Chicken Little language?

Nothing like frightening the public in order to justify your job. Not to mention adding to the ignorance of the public about flight dangers in general. Sigh.

So if "even one" incident is a high risk, then why haven't they heeded previous calls to ban electronics, calls that arose after iPhones and other devices have caught fire on airplanes?

(Answer: because they know that cabin smartphone fires are -- and have been each time so far -- easily handled by crews trained for it because of their own airline-provided devices, and because the mass public would have a hissy fit if the majority couldn't use their smartphones and tablets onboard.)
Another internet poster who knows more than the experts, who knew? So what about a phone that self combusts in check in luggage in the hold or shipped by air? Or a trans Atlantic or Pacific red eye and one goes flash in an overhead with lots of toxic smoke, 200 or more people suffering terror hours from landing even if no, by your words, no real danger exists. Just wow sir, just wow.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.