Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTMfan

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
very close to ordering this case, but want to know if the case closes with magnets? Also am disappointed about the lack of grooves for typing positions etc.

My last 2 ipads I've gone with the Yoobao Magic slim case and am hoping that my ipad 2 one will fit this new Ipad. I leave the country in a few weeks so I'm not sure if Yoobao will have a new case out in time or not.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
For those that had the CoverBuddy for the iPad 2, how secure was the fit? What did the material feel like? Did it scratch the iPad itself?

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Hope this helps to answer some of your questions as I just took delivery of my SwitchEasy Canvas cases in both Black and Charcoal (I have Red coming as well).

I will do a full video on this tomorrow when my "New iPad" arrives. For now these tests have been done with an iPad 2.

Magnets keep the case closed - the latch is now gone. I am not sure how many are in the cover but flipping the case upside down and shaking it does not cause it to open.

The footers in the case have moved from a hard plastic material to a rubberized material. When placed in stand mode it works well and does not slip out of position (even when tilting the case). Bouncing it will cause it to move out of position.

The shell still seems to be made out of the same material as the Canvas case for the iPad 2 so cracking over time may or may not be an issue.

The front cover no longer has a bend in it so the obvious typing angle is gone. While I originally thought this was an issue I found that by moving the case into its lowest angle provides a pretty good typing angle. Because the case is so new there is a little "bounce back" but I think this will decrease over time.

The weight of the case seems to be the same.

The fit on an iPad 2 is fine but I do notice a little less "snug" fit over the previous version.

Sleep / Wake feature works fine.

It can be used in Book mode - front flap flipped all the way back. It's a little stiff and creates a little bulk but nothing too major. Again, I think over time the stiffness will go away.

Thats it for my initial impressions. As I mention, I will have a video up sometime tomorrow with the iPad 3 fit in addition to a comparison to the previous Canvas case.

Got other questions? Fire away and I will happily answer them.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Hope this helps to answer some of your questions as I just took delivery of my SwitchEasy Canvas cases in both Black and Charcoal (I have Red coming as well).

I will do a full video on this tomorrow when my "New iPad" arrives. For now these tests have been done with an iPad 2.

Magnets keep the case closed - the latch is now gone. I am not sure how many are in the cover but flipping the case upside down and shaking it does not cause it to open.

The footers in the case have moved from a hard plastic material to a rubberized material. When placed in stand mode it works well and does not slip out of position (even when tilting the case). Bouncing it will cause it to move out of position.

The shell still seems to be made out of the same material as the Canvas case for the iPad 2 so cracking over time may or may not be an issue.

The front cover no longer has a bend in it so the obvious typing angle is gone. While I originally thought this was an issue I found that by moving the case into its lowest angle provides a pretty good typing angle. Because the case is so new there is a little "bounce back" but I think this will decrease over time.

The weight of the case seems to be the same.

The fit on an iPad 2 is fine but I do notice a little less "snug" fit over the previous version.

Sleep / Wake feature works fine.

It can be used in Book mode - front flap flipped all the way back. It's a little stiff and creates a little bulk but nothing too major. Again, I think over time the stiffness will go away.

Thats it for my initial impressions. As I mention, I will have a video up sometime tomorrow with the iPad 3 fit in addition to a comparison to the previous Canvas case.

Got other questions? Fire away and I will happily answer them.
Great. You sold me on the Canvas with what you said on the typing angle. Thanks! I look forward to your video :)

Edit: Could you comment on your charcoal color? Does it seem to have some olive in it? Or is it more of a grey?

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Couple images attached of the typing angle. Sorry about the photo upload, this was a quick and dirty and I don't have time right now to edit to rotate.

Attachments

• canvas.JPG
    canvas.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 332
  • canvas2.JPG
    canvas2.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 257

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Great. You sold me on the Canvas with what you said on the typing angle. Thanks! I look forward to your video :)

Edit: Could you comment on your charcoal color? Does it seem to have some olive in it? Or is it more of a grey?

The exterior (cover and back) have a slight hint of olive. The Hard shell on it however is very much grey. The interior on the Charcoal is light grey.

Vulcan4770

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
Couple images attached of the typing angle. Sorry about the photo upload, this was a quick and dirty and I don't have time right now to edit to rotate.

Thanks for the pics, I cant wait to watch the review. Hopefully my charcoal will be in the mail in the next few days.

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
For those that had the CoverBuddy for the iPad 2, how secure was the fit? What did the material feel like? Did it scratch the iPad itself?

Had it, the fit was very good, flush with the screen. Did not scratch the iPad. Initially it had a slippery feel but after a little while it was no longer slippery and provided a good feel when holding on to the iPad.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for the quick review, psychonaut. How do you like the grove system for holding position?

AppleOwl

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
I also really liked this case for the iPad 2. How do you think this one compares to the previous version? Substantial improvement?

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the quick review, psychonaut. How do you like the grove system for holding position?

So far it works. Will see how it holds up over time. I will also mention that the little SwitchEasy logo tab is actually helpful to open the lid.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Some additional photos (with proper angle) including the Charcoal color.

Attachments

• canvas5.JPG
    canvas5.JPG
    530.1 KB · Views: 304
  • canvas3.JPG
    canvas3.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 217
  • canvas4.JPG
    canvas4.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 175

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I wasn't entirely happy with my purchase when I thought there was no typing position. Your review and pics are a big relief. Hopefully I'll get mine by early next week.

Kenneth64

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the info.. Would like to have the updated coverbuddy for the new iPad. Been stalking their site waiting for the release.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Sorry to post spam but hopefully this info helps some of you. I just grabbed my wife's iPad 2 which is in the previous model canvas case and some additional observations:

The new Canvas case looks to have the EXACT same size camera cut out - I will be interested to see how this fits with the new iPad come tomorrow.

The new Canvas case dock area is actually a slight bit smaller in length - not sure why.

The new Canvas case has a slightly larger microphone cut out.

The new Canvas case has a slightly larger headphone jack.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the photos. I'm a little concerned about the camera hole cutout. From the angle, it looks like the case starts to cut off the top part of the lens/glass. :confused:

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the photos. I'm a little concerned about the camera hole cutout. From the angle, it looks like the case starts to cut off the top part of the lens/glass. :confused:

Don't be, its only the angle of the photo. The camera cut out is fine with the lens fully exposed. I am more interested to see how it lines up with the larger new iSight iPad camera

lc8

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
MD

I have the coverbuddy in navy for my iPad 2. The fit is snug and the material feels rubbery and the finish is matte, it's kinda like a non-slip grip with a smooth surface. I like that I can easily snap off the smart cover when I I don't need it or when it gets in the way. It didn't scratch my iPad. The back of my unit remains pristine.

Last edited:

rukkus

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
my canvas has already made the long cross country trek to NJ. hoping it gets on a truck today for delivery.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Psychonaut, would you recommend the black case or the charcoal case for a white iPad?

Depends on your style. They both look nice with black giving you much more contrast and the grey being more subtle.

Still waiting for delivery of my new iPad as I am very curious to see if the sleep / awake feature works as advertised since reports are coming in about other cases not working properly with the new alignment of the sleep / wake magnets on the new iPad.

rukkus

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
worried about the magnets too... my case and ipad should both be waiting for me when i get home in a few hours.

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Depends on your style. They both look nice with black giving you much more contrast and the grey being more subtle.

Still waiting for delivery of my new iPad as I am very curious to see if the sleep / awake feature works as advertised since reports are coming in about other cases not working properly with the new alignment of the sleep / wake magnets on the new iPad.

Have you received your iPad yet? I'm real interested in seeing your video.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Have you received your iPad yet? I'm real interested in seeing your video.

Finally, Just got my new iPad delivered and popped it in the SwitchEasy Canvas case.

Video will post tonight to my channel.

Happy to report everything lines up perfect (including the camera). The Magnets work perfect too! No issues with the Sleep/Awake function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.