Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Pure Android but man the only AOSP handset out there is the Nexus. It's sad.

Incorrect. All the new Android One phones, all the various Google Play Edition phones, the Motorola Moto X phones and the Nexus phones all utilize stock Android.

----------

I`ve just moved to Apple from Android since it's inception. iOS is a better user experience by far. No more "this app has stopped working". If you do go Android do not go Samsung.

You are right. On iOS you have apps force close with no warning or indication of why it happened. I prefer Androids way in this case.

----------

Quick comparison needed; I read most of the comments and we had good, purist and loyalist on both ends.

For guys who have enjoyed both Newer iPhones and Andriod L on either Nexus 5 or Moto 2014, has any one compared the day to day camera shots between two Phones/OSes
and how about battery life ? Is there any significant os that's better than the other when it comes to battery life ?

thanks in advance for the tip..

Camera is better on the iPhone.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think it goes beyond just iOS and that's what Apple's playing on. OS X and iOS offer integration that Android simply can't.

Still, Android is pretty good, but I like the centralized strict of iOS: one place for apps, relative assurance of security, one company if you're having issues, and fairly consistent.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Note that iOS 7/8 UI is a very bad ripoff of Android 4.* Holo UI. "Material Design" is the evolution of the Holo UI, so Apple's attempt is not just disgusting, it's already outdated, while the classic iOS UI is not outdated as it's good enough to stand out of fashion.
Click on 4K resolution, full screen it, and go to the 11:00 mark where the guy is trying to browse the web. He tries to not make it obvious cuz he is super biased, but look at the way the pinch zoom responds on iOS and look at the hesitation on Android. Then he has trouble clicking the link.

Its the same concept with Mac trackpads vs Windows trackpads.

They just don't look and act as smooth, not as rich.

YouTube: video

And thats assuming its the beginning of your OS lifecycle. In 6 months who knows how it will behave after you fill it up and the file system gets slow.
I have noticed exactly the opposite here - Android looks smoother, richer, nicer and faster.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
How long before the general public complains that the current iOS design language is getting stale and needs another complete redesign?

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
How long before the general public complains that the current iOS design language is getting stale and needs another complete redesign?

General public wasn't complaining. It was jaded tech bloggers and easily bored forum posters that pushed that meme along. And when iOS did undergo a radical UI change, they were the first ones to complain, presuming that everybody else hated iOS 7 as much as they did (even if iOS 7 became the most rapidly adopted iOS ever).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Incorrect. All the new Android One phones, all the various Google Play Edition phones, the Motorola Moto X phones and the Nexus phones all utilize stock Android.

None of that matters because the one Android phone maker that's in the spotlight the most (Samsung) does not run the AOSP version of Android.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Again, incorrect. Samsung does have a Google Play Edition version of the Galaxy S series.

Yes they do. It would be interesting to see exactly how many of those models they've actually sold, though. We never will see that, since Samsung hardly releases numbers outside of the first month of a flagship release, and never breaks it down by model type.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I can't stand the Galaxy tab we have at work but that's because it has a Samsung centric version of android and it's simply obnoxious. That being said, having a Google device like the nexus is a different ball game. The one I messed with was pretty freegin nice and exceeded my expectations for android devices.

At least android is competing....that ends up being good for US. Apple will have to keep on their toes and that's a good thing.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Again, incorrect. Samsung does have a Google Play Edition version of the Galaxy S series.

How many users do you think actually know what "Google play edition" means?

A lot of the time we look at things through the eyes of a techie/geek and forget what it's like to look at the world as the average person.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
How many users do you think actually know what "Google play edition" means?

A lot of the time we look at things through the eyes of a techie/geek and forget what it's like to look at the world as the average person.

That wasn't the point you were trying to make, so stop tap dancing.
Your last quote:
None of that matters because the one Android phone maker that's in the spotlight the most (Samsung) does not run the AOSP version of Android.

You likely didn't even know about Google Play Edition phones, much less that Samsung made one, but you also aren't the demographic looking at Google either.

Anyone that uses Google and logs in to the Play Store could look at all the hardware for sale, which includes Chromecasts, Chromebooks, Nexus phones, GPe phones (like Samsungs), along with tablets, etc... You see, it is kind of like the Apple Store and yes, millions of people do visit the website, so are familiar with GPe devices, and this includes the average person.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
That wasn't the point you were trying to make, so stop tap dancing.
Your last quote:

You likely didn't even know about Google Play Edition phones, much less that Samsung made one, but you also aren't the demographic looking at Google either.

Anyone that uses Google and logs in to the Play Store could look at all the hardware for sale, which includes Chromecasts, Chromebooks, Nexus phones, GPe phones (like Samsungs), along with tablets, etc... You see, it is kind of like the Apple Store and yes, millions of people do visit the website, so are familiar with GPe devices, and this includes the average person.

If the pure Android experience was so widely spread Google wouldn't have begun their Android Silver project

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5664702/google-nexus-to-be-replaced-by-android-silver

Of course manufacturers are resisting this initiative because they want to continue installing their bloatware garbage on handsets and selling the experience as "Android".

The point is as great as Lollipop may be, the masses will most likely not see it unless they buy these "Google edition" handsets. Walk into any Wireless carrier store and see if you can even spot a "Google edition" handset.

For those who want the pure android experience they know where to go. The rest of the population either doesn't know what Kitkat or Lollipop is or they think Touchwiz is Android and then are surprised when someone else's Android phone looks different than theirs.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Exactly. Android is buttery smooth these days on lesser hardware as well, while iOS is a glitch stutter mess. Sony phones (I'm eying the Sony forums now to see if that's my next phone but waiting for issues to arise on the new releases) are UNDERwaterproof, have magnetic quick charging, tiny bezels, don't bend, 20Mp camera, etc etc etc etc and zero software limitations. Last year the 5s with 7.1.2 was the best phone on the market. This year, NOT lol.

----------

lol upvote competition lol:D

What exactly does 20 megapixel camera mean? The Plus and 6 both take videos and better then Sony's "super powerful and amazing...wait for it.... 20 MEGAPIXELS !"

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

And you say "doesn't bend?"

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/sony-xperia-z3-owner-reports-frame-bending-issue/

^^.....lol........

Sorry but no one will be forcibly bending our phones I dont think, bending is really not a issue unless you sit on your devices then you deserve to break them/damage them if you sit on your glass front smartphone display(dont you know not to press hard on glass display to damage the screen anyway??)

I give credit for underwater, that is a neat feature, there are tradeoffs with going with the Z3 though (worse display, not as good camera, few others) but its whatever you like though

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If the pure Android experience was so widely spread Google wouldn't have begun their Android Silver project

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5664702/google-nexus-to-be-replaced-by-android-silver

Of course manufacturers are resisting this initiative because they want to continue installing their bloatware garbage on handsets and selling the experience as "Android".

The point is as great as Lollipop may be, the masses will most likely not see it unless they buy these "Google edition" handsets. Walk into any Wireless carrier store and see if you can even spot a "Google edition" handset.

For those who want the pure android experience they know where to go. The rest of the population either doesn't know what Kitkat or Lollipop is or they think Touchwiz is Android and then are surprised when someone else's Android phone looks different than theirs.

Not arguing about what is, or is not popular, or what the masses may or may not know. That wasn't my point, nor your point that I had contention with. I'm simply calling you out on what was an ignorant comment regarding Android phones.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
What exactly does 20 megapixel camera mean? The Plus and 6 both take videos and better then Sony's "super powerful and amazing...wait for it.... 20 MEGAPIXELS !"

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple...et-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

And you say "doesn't bend?"

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/sony-xperia-z3-owner-reports-frame-bending-issue/

^^.....lol........

Sorry but no one will be forcibly bending our phones I dont think, bending is really not a issue unless you sit on your devices then you deserve to break them/damage them if you sit on your glass front smartphone display(dont you know not to press hard on glass display to damage the screen anyway??)

I give credit for underwater, that is a neat feature, there are tradeoffs with going with the Z3 though (worse display, not as good camera, few others) but its whatever you like though

Thanks for pointing out the bending issue. I'm still looking for the perfect hardware, kind of the Porsche of phones. IPhone 6 ain't it. Maybe Xperia ain't it neither. Maybe Lenovo/Moto will come up with something but Moto X ain't it neither too.

roman01

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
You're right. And that's one reason why Android's overall experience is less pleasurable; the design, lovely though it is, isn't consistent. I think iOS still trumps the competition when it comes to consistency.

Consistency is becoming an afterthought unfortunately. Big companies, like Google, will use their own look on iOS platform thus ripping you out of the nice consistent UI into their world of material design. See Google drive, YouTube, etc. this erodes experience considerably and well, Google is not to be ignored. No matter how I try I can't ignore google's search, maps and YouTube.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I was tempted to switch to Android with Lollipop looking so good. But I thought to myself that with Apple selling a huge bucketload of iPhone's and the mass exodus of people abandoning Android to upgrade to a 6/6+, it would be silly to switch platforms now. No developer in the right mind will focus on Android or "Material Design". They are all busy making iOS8 apps.

So it's basically developers keeping me on iOS. Can just hope Apple fixes performance and glitches quickly.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Note that iOS 7/8 UI is a very bad ripoff of Android 4.* Holo UI. "Material Design" is the evolution of the Holo UI, so Apple's attempt is not just disgusting, it's already outdated, while the classic iOS UI is not outdated as it's good enough to stand out of fashion.

I have noticed exactly the opposite here - Android looks smoother, richer, nicer and faster.

I seriously have to wonder what the hell you're smoking and request that you please don't state your nonsensical opinions as fact. iOS 7/8 has more in common with the material UI than Holo. If anything iOS 6 has more UI elements in common with Holo. The iOS 6 UI would be outdated now but seeing as iOS 7 was doing things Android Lollipop has only just started to catch up with.

Neither look is better as aesthetics are purely subjective but the way you stated your opinions like fact was just outrageous.

Again guys, I'll repeat myself. If you prefer Android use Android. If you prefer iOS use iOS. Neither platform is in any trouble from the other and show no signs of being.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Not arguing about what is, or is not popular, or what the masses may or may not know. That wasn't my point, nor your point that I had contention with. I'm simply calling you out on what was an ignorant comment regarding Android phones.

Which part of my "most people won't see Lollipop in its purest form" is ignorant exactly? Unless you are referring to something else?

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Which part of my "most people won't see Lollipop in its purest form" is ignorant exactly? Unless you are referring to something else?

You said only the Nexus line of devices ran stock Android. When he proved you wrong you starting wriggling.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
After using Lollipop I like pretty much everything about it better aside from its integration with other devices. That's the reason I stick with iOS.

iOS 8.1 isn't exactly the best experience I've had with iOS even on the iPhone 6.

I don't know why Apple gets a pass on bug filled software while Android devs are apparently idiots. Everyone with a 6 that downloaded iOS 8.0.1 lost cell reception, I mean come on why would we call other devs talents into question?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.