Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy the new iPhone 8 for $1,500 or more?

• Yes

Votes: 49 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 309 86.3%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
For me it's less about showing off and more about looking down.

I wouldn't necessarily want someone to see my exclusive iPhone, but I would be comforted seeing someone else using a lesser iPhone than mine.

Um, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you know that sounds awful, right?

Reactions: SquidRuby

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015

I wouldn't necessarily want someone to see my exclusive iPhone, but I would be comforted seeing someone else using a lesser iPhone than mine.

You're just looking for a reaction, right? I mean, I've heard about people like that but I don't think any of them want others to know just how insecure they are...

Reactions: GeekishlyGreek

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
This thread completely passed me by for some reason until now.

As I vote, it's at 85% "No" after 140 votes.

Pretty conclusive thus far.
[doublepost=1499824332][/doublepost]
Even on an Apple enthusiasts forum most people are't willing to pay that. How many average consumers will? I don't believe that Apple is so out of touch as to price the next iPhone so unreasonably.

Very good point.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I would have a hard time justifying to myself paying $1500 for a phone unless it had some insanely neat features that would make my life better. I voted no as I would personally have a hard time parting with that kind of money.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I realize this thread is a result of the comments made by that blogger. The discussion has indicated that so far the vast majority would not pay that price. I seriously doubt that Apple would price a phone quite that far out there. Maybe the question is more how much would you be willing to pay for the latest shiny new iPhone + size with full size onboard storage.
I still think phones are getting in the ridiculous range for pricing and not just iPhones. If this trend continues and most likely will, a lot, including me will be content holding onto our tech longer than we did before. I already am of this mindset because the innovations coming out are just not worth the price of admission. I used to get a new phone each year but I've got better things to do with my money, so every other year or even every 3rd year suits me fine. The price is always set to what the market will bear. If people back off , prices change. Simple Econ 101. Was reading somewhere that Apple is set to become the first Trillion dollar company. I wonder how that happened? ;)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
You're just looking for a reaction, right? I mean, I've heard about people like that but I don't think any of them want others to know just how insecure they are...
This is an anonymous forum. I'm just being honest.
[doublepost=1499840734][/doublepost]
Um, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you know that sounds awful, right?
I totally agree - it sounds appalling. But we all have our place in society and everyone wants to feel they're doing well. Seeing someone else is in a worse position than me confirms I'm in a good position. I'm just being honest.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006

I would be comforted looking up at you, while I can manage to spend that much, I would feel a lot smarter knowing that I can but I am not that stupid to pay that much (just for a brand), when I can have almost the same for less than half :p.

Or you could say...
"I would be comforted seeing someone (and probably many....) else having a lesser brain than mine."

Reactions: No. 44

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I think Samsung will drop the price of the S8 to half the price or more of what the iPhone 8 will cost once released, also they have the Note 8 around the same time being also cheaper aswell.

Tbh anybody that think paying $1500 for a phone that will be replaced in a years time is just silly.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
The new phones offer less and less real world benefit every year, and take away things that people use like the headphone jack and potentially TouchID.

I'll stick with my SE which I paid something like $750 AUD for (Which is still a lot of money) as I'm confident it will still do everything I need it to do better than the iPhone 8 will do, just like it does better than the 6S and 7.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
As with the majority, I can't imagine I'd pay it. They'd have to pull more mojo out of the hat than the rumor mill is suggesting before I change my mind. But this is Apple, and getting us to salivate is one of their specialties. ;)

I figure my next iPhone will "need" no more than 128GB storage - my 64GB iPhone 6 still has plenty of available space, even after all these years. So, I wouldn't pay a premium for a phone that starts at a 256GB minimum, no less 512GB.

I'm looking forward to having new camera features, but since I also have a "serious" camera, I might be better off spending the difference on a lens or new camera body.

In the circles I travel in, nobody's going to say "Oooh" and "Ahhhh" when I whip it out - they just won't know the difference. I certainly wouldn't "educate" them on how cool it is - they'd undoubtedly ask off-topic questions. "Look at what the camera can do!" "Can it print Avery labels?" "Show me how to Twitter!"

I might geek out for a while on having a new toy, but a special, premium finish is going to be hidden behind a protective case anyway, and I'm not the type to ask, "Mirror, mirror on my phone..."

Now, presuming the 7s doesn't have facial recognition, and the 8 does... I know I can get by very, very well with Touch ID, so a 3-D sensor would have to do more than just replace the Home button (I expect it will, and thereby exceed our expectations and make it a greater object of desire... but my imagination is not up to the task).

All that said, I did get the 12.9" 1st Gen iPad Pro (Smart Keyboard and Pencil), even though a garden-variety iPad would have been a fine replacement for my 1st Gen iPad, so I'm not totally immune to the Sirens' song. And it'll only be about $50 more per month on the installment plan... So I reserve the right to vote one way, and act another.

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015

This is the most disgusting thing i read today. Is that really what you think?

Reactions: imanidiot

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
That's a bold claim. How do you know this? But I disagree. I think the rumored 5.8 OLED model will start above a $1000.
Why? Samsung produces a 6.3" oled phone that starts ~$850 and a 5.8" starting at ~$750 my question is what is apples reasoning for charging more. As I think about it I will give apple 950 at most or I will buy the new plus. The premium for oled is $100 I'll spare $200 more but anything more is an absurd apple tax if all I am getting is oled for that money.

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
This is the most disgusting thing i read today.

I'm guessing you don't spend much time reading about world news then...
[doublepost=1499868877][/doublepost]What are the reasons that so many people are willing to spend their money on other s&*t and not put forward $2000 or less towards a device they use constantly?

What other objects do you take to the toilet for sudoko? Put in the car for navigation? Listen to when running? Study on when revising? Record an impromptu performance by a street performer? Etc etc etc.
Seriously, the mobile phone has become such an integral part of our lives.

Comparing between past mobile devices is akin to price anchoring. As I said earlier in this thread, I think we need to compare the amount of usage we get out of the device to identify just how much it costs us in comparison to other things that we purchase for granted i.e. takeaway coffee, designer clothing, gaming, Netflix subscriptions, gym membership or any of the many other disposable income categories

Drinking one coffee/day at $5 for two years is $3650.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
The new phones offer less and less real world benefit every year, and take away things that people use like the headphone jack and potentially TouchID.

I'll stick with my SE which I paid something like $750 AUD for (Which is still a lot of money) as I'm confident it will still do everything I need it to do better than the iPhone 8 will do, just like it does better than the 6S and 7.

Well, let's put it in perspective: The new phones offer you less benefit each year.

The missing headphone jack is a non-issue for 99% of the users, and you get a better audio signal from the power out anyway. The larger screen is needed by some users. Although, ironically (and exceedingly irritatingly) Apple has made iOS10 use more screen space and thus the larger screen loses much of it's value. iOS10 is such a cock up.

I use mine for work, and so if I need a phone that has a heavier processor or larger screen, I have value that I'm willing to pay more for. :)

[doublepost=1499868877][/doublepost]What are the reasons that so many people are willing to spend their money on other s&*t and not put forward $2000 or less towards a device they use constantly?

What other objects do you take to the toilet for sudoko? Put in the car for navigation? Listen to when running? Study on when revising? Record an impromptu performance by a street performer? Etc etc etc.

Comparing between past mobile devices is akin to price anchoring. As I said earlier in this thread, I think we need to compare the amount of usage we get out of the device to identify just how much it costs us in comparison to other things that we purchase for granted i.e. takeaway coffee, designer clothing, gaming, Netflix subscriptions, gym membership or any of the many other disposable income categories

I agree completely.

I very, very seldom go out to eat and hardly ever get to Starbucks. In fact, I spend so little that I can usually justify upgrading my iPad or iPhone every year or two even when technically there's nothing wrong with it. The money I save over your average user more than makes up for it. :)

Last edited:

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I would be comforted looking up at you, while I can manage to spend that much, I would feel a lot smarter knowing that I can but I am not that stupid to pay that much (just for a brand), when I can have almost the same for less than half :p.

Or you could say...
"I would be comforted seeing someone (and probably many....) else having a lesser brain than mine."

And that would be absolutely your choice.

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016

However you have to compare things based on smilar items. How many mainstream smart phones retail for over $1000? What will make this phone worth retailing for >$1000. We have to compare similar items and in the current market there is no cause for a phone more then $1000.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why? Samsung produces a 6.3" oled phone that starts ~$850 and a 5.8" starting at ~$750 my question is what is apples reasoning for charging more. As I think about it I will give apple 950 at most or I will buy the new plus. The premium for oled is $100 I'll spare $200 more but anything more is an absurd apple tax if all I am getting is oled for that money.

Because #1, Apple charges a premium for all their hardware. I wouldn't use Samsung as an example, as their price point system is not not entirely the same as Apple's, nor do they want to be.

We don't know Apple's reasoning for what they will charge when the device releases, because we are unaware what this newly rumored 5.8 OLED iPhone will offer. Also, I'm not sure Apple needs a reason to determine what they want to charge for a product just based of "What features justify this price tag." But given Apple's track record with how they price their hardware, I would say the OLED iPhone will be near a $1000 at the lowest storage tier.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I said "no" because I find it doubtful the iPhone 8 will meet my criteria for entering that price level.

But I have to say I probably would pay $1500 for an iPhone that would have the features we had hoped the IPhone 8 was initially rumored to have, but they'd also have to make the actual phone part work much better than it does now. My modestly priced HTC 10 gives me and my callers the best connections I've ever experienced on a cellphone. And I'd like it to record in stereo audio like my "free" BOGO S7 Edge does. (Which is better than my newer S8+ does, actually). Mediocre call quality and the same recording quality for so many years puts me off when rivals are offering better for so much less.

And it would likely have to be the "S" version that would draw that much money out of my budget, unless initial reviews of the iPhone 8 are stellar and bring up no questions about build and design quality.

I already paid through the nose for my 256 GB iPhone 7 Plus. It's so close to my idea of smartphone perfection. I would be willing to bump up the budget a bit more for true iPhone nirvana. But I would also then expect to keep it as long as I did my iPhone 4, which was the last time I felt I was at a sweet spot with an iPhone and therefore held onto it for close to 3 years. Then I'd get reasonable value for my money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.