Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
As well as yesterday being a Sunday, the UK has had a long weekend of Bank Holidays.

We had a Bank Holiday for the Royal Wedding on Friday and today is "May Day".

This means that a lot of companies wont have had staff working on things that aren't essential since Thursday.

Last weekend was also similar, due to Easter, with both the Friday and the Monday being Bank Holidays.

Things should be back to normal tomorrow.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Can someone explain to me how we'd use SAM to see if we are truly unlocked? I know how to get SAM in Cydia but don't understand how it would let us know that the unlock worked.

I haven't heard back yet, btw :)

I installed it yesterday and played with it a bit. By going into Utilities under the SAM preferences app I was able to deactivate my phone. After a reboot I got the "plug into iTunes" screen on my phone. Plugged into iTunes and the phone re-activated. I'm guessing this is the process people are referring to.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I installed it yesterday and played with it a bit. By going into Utilities under the SAM preferences app I was able to deactivate my phone. After a reboot I got the "plug into iTunes" screen on my phone. Plugged into iTunes and the phone re-activated. I'm guessing this is the process people are referring to.

Hmm I see. I wonder how this relates to seeing if your phone is truly unlocked though? I guess I just don't see the correlation. And I don't think I'll have access to another carrier's microSIM so I need a way to see if it worked (assuming I get the email saying they did it :p)

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Hmm I see. I wonder how this relates to seeing if your phone is truly unlocked though? I guess I just don't see the correlation. And I don't think I'll have access to another carrier's microSIM so I need a way to see if it worked (assuming I get the email saying they did it :p)

The activation process through iTunes requires a ping to Apple and hopefully part of the response back will be that your phone is unlocked. I'm just hoping I get the unlock; I still think this is a longshot but I'm going to keep trying!

If I do get the unlock I will try this SAM "reauthorization" first, then find a PAYG sim card to test. Maybe I can find one other person in the Dallas area that has a T-Mobile sim I could borrow for 10 minutes!!

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've had my iPhone carrier unlocked and it was done remotely (I was at home, and the guy from the carrier's technical support was in the office obviously), so similar situation to everyone in the thread.

You give them the IMEI, they send it over to Apple, Apple white-lists your IMEI (caution: usually takes 1-2 days for them to take care of this, so don't expect to have it done in 10 minutes; remember holidays/weekends plus time-zone differences) and then you plug in the iPhone into iTunes so it can 'retract' the unlock and that's it.

There's no 'Congratulations' message or anything special that happens, it looks exactly the same as any other time you plug in the phone into the computer.

Hope this helps.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks! Then like anything else, if we want to prove to ourselves that we are unlocked we'll need to find an alternate SIM and test. Makes sense. Let's hope we all get to that point!

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks! Then like anything else, if we want to prove to ourselves that we are unlocked we'll need to find an alternate SIM and test. Makes sense. Let's hope we all get to that point!

Exactly, you just need to find another SIM to test it out, unfortunately there is no other way.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Here here! I don't really expect to have it work, since I'm in the US and on AT&T, but it sure would be nice :) If it works then I'll be able to fetch enough on eBay to get a white iPhone 4!

Does T-Mobile even have microSIMs in the US?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Yes of course, with a SIM cutter. And it doesn't have to be an active SIM at that...find an old tmoblie sim and cut it down!
So it can be an inactive (expired pay-as-you-go) foreign SIM?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Ok so here is my update...

I de-activated my phone using SAM, rebooted and got the plug into iTunes message... plugged it in and activated.... I did not get a congratulations message of any kind but hopefully It connected to Apple servers and recognized my IMEI being unlocked. I would hate to have to restore since I am jailbroken.

Saturday I walked into best buy and purchased a pre-paid T-mobile sim card for $9.99 which included a 10 minute top-up card to start with... this is more than I need to test the unlock so that was perfect for me

I then ordered a micro-sim cutter on ebay for $4 bucks - free shipping, it was from some guy in brooklyn so I should have it by tomorrow or Wednesday.

As soon as it gets here I will cut the sim card and try it with my phone *fingers Crossed*

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX

I de-activated my phone using SAM, rebooted and got the plug into iTunes message... plugged it in and activated.... I did not get a congratulations message of any kind but hopefully It connected to Apple servers and recognized my IMEI being unlocked. I would hate to have to restore since I am jailbroken.

Saturday I walked into best buy and purchased a pre-paid T-mobile sim card for $9.99 which included a 10 minute top-up card to start with... this is more than I need to test the unlock so that was perfect for me

I then ordered a micro-sim cutter on ebay for $4 bucks - free shipping, it was from some guy in brooklyn so I should have it by tomorrow or Wednesday.

As soon as it gets here I will cut the sim card and try it with my phone *fingers Crossed*

Awesome! If I get my unlock email perhaps I can buy your t-mobile card and sim cutter from you at cost! We can share and then I can send it to the next lucky person!

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX

Just curious...If you go into settings do you know have a section for Carriers somewhere in the first grouping of items? Seems to me when I was unlocked via ultrasn0w I had this option but I could be wrong. Might be another way to see if you are unlocked.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Awesome! If I get my unlock email perhaps I can buy your t-mobile card and sim cutter from you at cost! We can share and then I can send it to the next lucky person!

Sounds good, I'll keep you posted.

Just curious...If you go into settings do you know have a section for Carriers somewhere in the first grouping of items? Seems to me when I was unlocked via ultrasn0w I had this option but I could be wrong. Might be another way to see if you are unlocked.

I dont have anything that says carriers, I looked around all over settings and under general, network, etc... but didnt see it.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sounds good, I'll keep you posted.

I dont have anything that says carriers, I looked around all over settings and under general, network, etc... but didnt see it.

I'm just jealous you got the free unlock. I'm really hoping to get mine!

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I should get my follow up e-mail tomorrow. I still only have the automatically generated bot message. Should get a human response tomorrow now that they're back off holiday.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hoping to get email 2 today also. Not feeling too confident but it's not costing a dime. Why not try?!

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hoping to get email 2 today also. Not feeling too confident but it's not costing a dime. Why not try?!

Same boat here. Sure hope I hear today either way!

And count me in on the trading around of the SIM and stuff :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.