Other Should Apple consider using frosted glass and unpolished stainless steel in a future iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRutherford, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Should Apple use frosted glass and unpolished stainless steel in a future iPhone?

This poll will close on Sep 18, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
  1. Yes to both

55.6%
  2. I like shiny things

33.3%
  3. Frosted glass, but give me glossy stainless steel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Regular glass, unpolished stainless steel

11.1%
  1. iRutherford macrumors regular

iRutherford

Frosted glass provides all the benefits of normal glass, except gloss. This means that it is more resistant to scratches and does not collect fingerprints and smudges. Here's what it looks like (Sony Xperia Z5):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One disadvantage is that the colors look a little dull, but I'm willing to take that compromise if it means my phone won't look like dog crap in three months.

On the other hand, unpolished stainless steel is one that was used in the frames of the iPhone 4 and 4S. It looks more like anodized aluminum, unlike the ones used in iPhone X/XS/XS Max where it's glossy as hell and can peel off and accumulate microscratches over time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

I’d prefer no glass on the back and an phone made out of an actual stylish durable material so we don’t need to use cases anymore.

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Frosted glass scratch easily. Look at pixel 3.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

So plastic... and then people would complain about how cheap the phones feel.

5. iRutherford, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018

iRutherford thread starter macrumors regular

iRutherford

That's just Google's build quality, I guess. It's never been a problem in Sony phones.

Edit: I researched it and it looks like you can use a wet cloth to wipe the "scratches" away, as they aren't really scratches. They are "dirt" from the keys/coins that is sticking in between the textures of the frosted glass.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Research some more. You’ll see not all the scratches can be cleaned like that. Also who gets down to cleaning their smartphones with wet clothes and detergent?!

7. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Yeah, let’s go with that then.

Not a gloss fan. Being a case user though means I can cover it up anyway.

I like a sandstone finish - anti-smudge & grippy. Function over form.

8. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

...or carbon fiber or ceramic

9. rudyrov macrumors newbie

Imagine the s**tstorm lol - "I paid $1300 for an iPhone and I have to constantly clean it with wet cloth or else it looks scratched".

10. iRutherford thread starter macrumors regular

iRutherford

It only happens when it's "scratched" by sharp materials with pressure. I'd rather have that than be, "Hey look, I paid for a $1,300 iPhone that looks like dog poop after 3 months of use and lots of care. Scratches everywhere!"

11. Relentless Power, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think this is necessary. I mean, most iPhones are in cases anyways. And as for smdyevs on the back glass, who see’s the back of the glass anyways? I use my iPhone without a case and I have zero scratches on the back, why? Because I use caution with my iPhone and don’t put in my pocket with keys/coins.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

my X looked brand new after a year. the silver version and you can polish the band. Never used a case. I got the same color for my max as I didnt like the space gray I had much so returned it for silver again.
    Why does your phone look bad after 3 months?

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Carbon Fiber would stop wireless charging. Also blocks RF.

14. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

Maybe make the phone out of plastic and then cover it in a thin layer of easily removable/replaceable glass. Then, if you drop your phone and break the glass it’s easy to fix - problem solved. Many people cover their premium glass and metal phones in a case made of cheap plastic anyway.

No, I’m not being serious :)