Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Today I just realized my iPhone 6 was bent right below the volume buttons. I just contacted apple care and they said they wouldn't help me and its basically not their fault that after 1 month of normal use my iPhone is bent.

After I hung up with the care person I noticed that on my screen I can see a slight discoloration (yellowish hue) in the area of the bend on my home screen & all apps that i open.

I bought my iPhone from Verizon on 9/19 which pretty much means I missed the return date by 2 days...

What do I do now... Should I call back and ask for a supervisor?
Any ideas?

Well, if you have Applecare then they will cover the accidental damage caused by your sitting on the phone for a fee of $79. If you are mistakenly calling the standard warranty "Applecare" then you're SOL.

----------

...you will see Samsungs stock doing much better soon enough.

Doubtful

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
You shouldn't have to change how you use a phone to keep it from bending. Normal use doesn't involve paying that close of attention to how you hold your phone.

The problem is what is defined as normal use.

For me, the iPhone 6 is thinner and bigger. So I can't treat it the same way as the iPhone 5/5s. I am not sure why that is such a big deal for so many people.

If you want the treat it the same why then get a 5c,windows phone, or even some variation of an android phone.

To expect a thinner and larger phone to be exactly like the previous design is silly IMO.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
To the Op, I'm sorry to see there are a lot of folks giving you a hard time here. I, for one, believe your story. You do need to pursue this issue, even to the highest level, if needed. Apple needs to make good on their products. If it turns out there is some kind of flaw, Apple is really just slowing down the inevitable.

More than likely, there was a flaw in manufacturing that effecting a small portion of phones. That is why we have the, "I've had my phone for two weeks and I have skinny jeans and I put it in my back pocket and I weight 633 pounds" posts, but then we have some folks who say they treated their iPhone well but it bent anyway. There can be a legitimate contradiction if there is a difference in manufacturing, and with such a large number of phones it's probably impossible for their *not* to be a difference.

Good luck, and please keep us up to date on how it goes. If Apple is reading this, the quicker you resolve these scenarios, the better it will be for you. Don't allow posts like this to continue. Shut it down by helping this guy out quickly and efficiently.

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
Today I just realized my iPhone 6 is bent. Apple Care saying not their problem.

Just so you guys know..... There has already been a story on the news about a design flaw on the new models. It is a screw exactly where the bends are occurring. Keep complaining it usually works for me. Keep asking for a supervisor hopefully you get the same one and he or she get tired of dealing with you and they eventually cave. The money we pay for these devices you shouldn't have to treat it like a baby. If apple continues to play the "not our problem" card you will see Samsungs stock doing much better soon enough.

Sure it will..... http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-profit-decline-2014-10

----------

iPhone 6 series is twice as flimsy as the 5 series, which is flimsier than the 4 series. Those are verifiable facts, not opinion.

You're a genius!!

Surely enough every iteration of the iPhone has become thinner and thinner...

Time to adapt folks and stop thinking you can just sit on your thin phone and Apple has to design it so you can continue to do that....what a joke!!!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The problem is what is defined as normal use.

For me, the iPhone 6 is thinner and bigger. So I can't treat it the same way as the iPhone 5/5s. I am not sure why that is such a big deal for so many people.

If you want the treat it the same why then get a 5c,windows phone, or even some variation of an android phone.

To expect a thinner and larger phone to be exactly like the previous design is silly IMO.

I'm sure people that have experienced the problem didn't feel they were abusing a more durable phone previously.

You can only expect more problems if you had problems to begin with.

Example, someone that slightly bent an iPhone 5 would be more prone to take better care of a larger thinner device based on your above reasoning.

However if their 5 is in mint condition then you can't expect people would change their behavior.

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I'm inclined to agree. Apple should be collecting as many of these bent devices as possible in order to determine if there's some quality control issue.

they are. The genius who took my bent 6+ said they are sending them to a special engineering department to further investigate the problem.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I dont even put my iPhone in my back pocket, it has always been in the front. Why would I try to bend back a device that is NOT meant to be bent anyway?

Do you sit down when it is in your front pocket, or do you take it out before you sit?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to, but chances are, sitting with it in the front OR back pocket (depending on the way you put it in your pocket to begin with) applies force in just the right (weakest) spot to cause bending.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
BS.......I keep my Plus in tight jeans pockets and have no problem with bending.

Just come out and say the truth....You sat on your phone
Just speculating here...I don't own an iPhone 6 at the moment.
But I wonder...why is bendgate so prominent in the case of iPhone 6 ? The 5 bent too...there were some posts around it. But 6 has more than a few posts.

Anyway, I have worked in software long enough to know that you can never be too sure of anything in a complicated design. Just because I can't fathom it happening does not mean that it can't happen! What is BS is folks just refusing to even acknowledge the possibility of a structural flaw in the iPhone 6...perhaps only in a batch of phones? Surely, you do not believe that Apple is above developing phones with manufacturing/design defects ?

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
"i broke my phone and it broke now i want someone else to take responsibility for it!"

get outta here.

Today I just realized my iPhone 6 was bent right below the volume buttons. I just contacted apple care and they said they wouldn't help me and its basically not their fault that after 1 month of normal use my iPhone is bent.

After I hung up with the care person I noticed that on my screen I can see a slight discoloration (yellowish hue) in the area of the bend on my home screen & all apps that i open.

I bought my iPhone from Verizon on 9/19 which pretty much means I missed the return date by 2 days...

What do I do now... Should I call back and ask for a supervisor?
Any ideas?

----------

"we've determined the problem. people are idiots, and think metal is indestructible, and that you should be able to treat anything however you want with no expectations of failure."

seriously, when someone crashes in a car do they blame the car for the dent?

they are. The genius who took my bent 6+ said they are sending them to a special engineering department to further investigate the problem.

----------

man. the entitlement is strong with some people.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Time to adapt folks and stop thinking you can just sit on your thin phone and Apple has to design it so you can continue to do that....what a joke!!!

I can't help but notice you come in very quickly on many threads containing legitimate criticisms. Interesting.

In any case I and many others are taking a different approach: rather than trying to "adapt" our lives to the possible POS build quality of the 6/6+, we choose to forgo iPhone6, at least for now until this is all sorted out, and get on with our normal lives.

The unfortunates who ended up spending so much money because they fell prey to the giant PR machine will likely eventually get a $20 coupon as a result of the settlement from the inevitable class action suit, towards the next iPhone. Or maybe Apple can stand up, show some balls, address this head on, fix the problem, take the financial hit, and get some good will in the process

----------

Also I suspect now, after looking at a lot of pictures, that a simple solution may be to just forgo the Apple logo cutout and just laser etch it instead. This would save manufacturing costs too and hardly anyone would notice the change.

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
I would take it back. It's not your fault it bent. There's consistency is this area/region of the 6 that's very weak causing it to bend; coming from all photos I've seen. Did you purchase AC?

of course not.....its Uri Geller's fault.

seriously :rolleyes:

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Obviously it is the OPs fault he bent his phone. Last time I checked, phones don't just bend themselves - although if you wanted to place some quantum mechanical odds on spontaneous bending, it's probably around 10^-30.... But he is looking for someone else to blame because he's probably not in the 10^-30.

Next time be more careful with your new large, thin phone. Everyone wants large, thin phones. Look at the physics. Bigger phone means the forces can be applied on the ends. R cross F is torque and now R is larger than it used to be. Thus more torque on your phone, easier to bend it. And to add to it, they are skinnier now so they can't withstand as much torque either. Double whammy. So you have to be much more careful with it.

You all asked for this when you wanted phablets. My iPhone 5S is still great ;)

To add 1 thing: consumer reports came out and said you really have to try to bend these things... Not insinuating anything here. But just saying... ;)

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
How do you know that?

People seem to have an interesting view of what "normal usage" is.

I'm waiting for a major tech site editor, like ars or 9to5 to take the risk and say that with their normal usage, their sample bent too. Right now they're probably too afraid of the repercussions.

zathus

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
It is a design flaw. Thin aluminum with no inner frame? Why is this shocking lol. Aluminum is a soft metal. I do doubt it was just in the ops front pocket to bend it like that but it is weaker then most phones.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
It is a design flaw. Thin aluminum with no inner frame? Why is this shocking lol. Aluminum is a soft metal. I do doubt it was just in the ops front pocket to bend it like that but it is weaker then most phones.

Yeah thin aluminum combined with a bigger frame. More torque can be applied to the ends and it can't withstand as much to begin with cause it's thinner.

No surprise that phones are bending, just simple elementary physics.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Page 1, post #23 shows a picture of the phone in my case. It was extremely hard to notice the bend, the only reason i checked was i saw my case sticking out a bit. I thought it popped out of place so i decided to remove my case and put it back on. Only when i removed my case did i realize my phone was bent.

Something happened. What? It seems like you should be able to figure out what it was. A bend like that is not trivial. It didn't "just happen." There was some singular event that caused it. There had to be. How did you bend it?

bwrin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Great. And here I was just starting to feel more comfortable about the situation. iPhone 6 here, no bends, but I do find myself taking it out of my case just to keep my paranoia in check.

Also, I'm sure he had to bump into something with it in his pocket or his pants are super tight and he went to the squat rack. I'm a big guy and I know some pressure has been put on it while in my pocket, but mine is fine.

Someone see if he has a YouTube account and did a bend test!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.