Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Really now...?!
Same old, same old... They had done nothing to resolve the issue?

I realize the issue isn't resolved and isn't likely to be on this iteration, but I'm asking if people who have had a computer with this issue for 1-2 years have had resulting damage to the speakers.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
It's not likely to damage, but who knows. There was the 'adobe bug' which blew speakers. If playing on max volume it's probably likely to damage them over time.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
It's not likely to damage, but who knows. There was the 'adobe bug' which blew speakers. If playing on max volume it's probably likely to damage them over time.

Thank you for your response. I really don't want to return this computer. I have until 1/8 to decide whether to do that and go back to my 2018 that has had only one crackling sound on an incoming notification over 2 years. I followed this thread for quite a while and based on the experience of others here, I don't see much point in returning this computer in the hopes of getting one without the issue.

soiramk

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Greece
So.. what are we saying here is that we have to live with this from now on, if we choose a MacBook?
I was waiting for the 16'' only with the hope that this issue was gonna be resolved... :(

Reactions: g75d3

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
So.. what are we saying here is that we have to live with this from now on, if we choose a MacBook?
I was waiting for the 16'' only with the hope that this issue was gonna be resolved... :(

The Only way to get it resolved is Macbook Pro 16 "Poppinggate" blowing up in the media. That would require people to keep "complaining" on forums, so youtubers try it and then make video that the media pastes everywhere. The only way to submit bug reports that Apple takes seriously.

Reactions: g75d3

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
My new 16" MacBook Pro has a crack sound on closing videos. Does the crackling in the speakers cause speaker damage over time?

My 16" has the same popping sound when closing videos or fast-forwarding. I didn't read through the entire thread here but what's the consensus? Are all machines impacted? Or should I just exchange until I get one that doesn't pop?

hugo525

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
My 16" has the same issue as well, I noticed it while navigating back on chrome from watching YouTube videos.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
It’s all MacBooks now with the T2 chip it’s an issue that software can’t fix they should of fixed this for the new ones shame on them

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
All machines impacted. It's poor audio from 2016 onwards, but the T2 introduces some other new issues, as discussed in this thread.

It might be fixed in the next years redesign, when they move to T2 successor.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Apple could fix it if they focus on it...since they fix their own app apple music and other minor issues just by going from H Sierra to Mojave..but maybe with this new heat and proper noise there are chances

motomotomoto

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2018
Is there a definitive consensus on if usb audio interfaces are now issue free on the T2 macs? The Logic Pro user group I am part of seems to think the problem is 100% fixed with unreliable audio issues on USB devices.

noughtme

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
Is there a definitive consensus on if usb audio interfaces are now issue free on the T2 macs? The Logic Pro user group I am part of seems to think the problem is 100% fixed with unreliable audio issues on USB devices.

i’ve never experience the problem with usb audio, only the speakers.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
My 2016 MacBook Pro started getting this as well, come on guys lets start a cluss action lawsuit for free repairs
[automerge]1579808144[/automerge]
Mine only crackles upon waking the Mac, and does so for quite awhile, I noticed that applying pressure on the right speaker where its crackling intensifies the noise. sounds like a bug causing the speaker to crackle.

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Son's 2018 15 MBP has this issue. And it has been been to Apple shop for touch bar and LCD screen repairs inside of a year.

For anyone who has looked at USB bus protocols with its complexity

- speeds (USB1,2,3)
- streaming/block transfers
- hierarchy of HUBs and devices
- all shared on a single bus

USB drivers took awhile to get right starting 20 years ago and complexity was added gradually.

Apple tried to stick security encryption on all this complexity and get it right in 1 shot. Either the T2 hardware couldn't match matured USB's complexity or the complex driver software has yet to mature. Seems like engineering continues its steadily decline in the Cook Era.

Last edited:
Reactions: gyunter

tgressly

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
Zürich
On my 2018MBP it seems gone for a long time. It reappeared with the 10.15.6 or 10.15.7 update. What are other experiences?
[automerge]1602174084[/automerge]
On my 2018MBP it seemed gone for a long time. It reappeared with the 10.15.6 or 10.15.7 update. What are other experiences?

jaxemer11

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
Been having this same problem in my 2019 16" MBP. It's gotten worse after installing Big Sur. If it is a software problem, why isn't it fixed yet? I suspect it is a hardware issue. So much for premium speakers. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be a problem with bluetooth headphones, which I use most of the time.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
It's a firmware problem with the T2 and they either cannot or will not fix it. It's clear.

I have an M1 Air and did very quick testing and it doesn't appear to have the audio issues.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
I have the same problem with my M1 MBP... There are crackling sounds while playing music eg from youtube but also iTunes. Eg if I open Word or Excel for the first time after boot up there is a short crackling sound. Also if I have apps running which create high load like Rosetta apps and I eg turn the music volume up or down, so seems to be connected to the system load. Anyone else here with a M1 machine with similar issues?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.