Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I have the popping issue with the right speaker on my 2018 15” MacBook Pro 6-core. Software is up to date, NVRAM restarted, OS restarted, etc.

For the price of this thing this is quite disappointing. I have owned Apple products since 2003 and I’m sorry but things don’t have the same quality they used to have. This computer also seems to have an issue with the auto-graphics switching with making Netflix flicker on full screen mode.

I guess I’ll have to take a trip to the Apple Store. Exactly how I don’t want to spend my time.

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
I have the popping issue with the right speaker on my 2018 15” MacBook Pro 6-core. Software is up to date, NVRAM restarted, OS restarted, etc.

For the price of this thing this is quite disappointing. I have owned Apple products since 2003 and I’m sorry but things don’t have the same quality they used to have. This computer also seems to have an issue with the auto-graphics switching with making Netflix flicker on full screen mode.

I guess I’ll have to take a trip to the Apple Store. Exactly how I don’t want to spend my time.
AFAIC, Apple's a sinking ship at this point... They've had since 2016 to address this issue, with blown speaker/distortion issues on the 1st touch bar. This has gone way past any rational threshold for sanity...

Last edited:
Reactions: g75d3

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
Anyone Experiencing These Issues:

I’ve Created a Youtube Channel Documenting All Issues Related to this.

The Intention Is To:
  • Create public awareness about audio issues and add consumer pressure for Apple to fix their ****.
  • Create a playlist documenting people experiencing issues.
  • Create a public record of T2-related audio glitches. [I.e. A public resource if EU cases get attention under consumer protection law.]
  • Provide a video hub for people to take their issues to Social Media. [The more channel links get re-posted, the more effectively Google will aggregate the channel and generate hits in search engines.]
  • Provide a few strategies for escalating cases past support, and posted contact info for Tim Cook's Office.
If you have a youtube link or want to upload video of your issue and have me add it to the playlist:
Quote this line and paste a link. Doesn't matter what model as long as its a T2/T1-related audio issue:
  • 2018 Macbook Pro
  • 2018 Mac Mini
  • 2018 Macbook Air
  • 2016 Touchbar Macbook Pro
  • Imac Pro
Feel free to blast the channel link or playlist to any relevant forums or social media sites.
I’m not taking ad revenue on the channel, this is solely as a public resource…
The intention is strictly for Apple to get their **** together and deal with the issue…

Channel Link:

Mac T2 Chip Audio Glitches

Main Playlist:

2018 Touchbar MacBook / T2-Related Audio Glitches

Here are videos of some of the behavior I've experienced on High Sierra:

Macbook "Speaker Crackle" Timed, Happening Every 10 Seconds

2018 Macbook Pro - Robotic / Metallic Sounding Distortion Screen Recording in Audio Hijack

2018 Macbook Pro - Brutal Glitching During Screen Capture

Last edited:

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
Very interesting! Perhaps not an Apple problem but a parts problem.

Which is contrary to what I personally think the issue is; software not hardware. We’ll see.

A driver issue would be the perfect storm for an issue somewhere in between software and hardware...

(Also if you search Mojave this comes up... AppleUSBRealtek8153Patcher.kext. Although it doesn't explain built-in audio issues it could explain some of the USB audio issues Mac Mini users have been experiencing using interfaces.)

Last edited:
Reactions: upandown

Riccardo83

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Berlin
On my machine (Vega 20), I've noticed that there's an audible crackle whenever changing volume with both built-in speakers and headphones.

However, if I launch a DAW (either Logic or Propellerhead Reason) this stops occurring. As soon as I quit the app, the issue returns.

Not sure what's happening...

I have small pops, hisses, only when pausing and resuming youtube or online streamed videos.

Playing music on spotify gives me no issues.

But then when I go System Settings - Sound - (Choose Funk Sound effect - Default) and repeatedly press the sound icon i hear a small hizz, popping sound, same as when forwarding and or pausing youtube video.s

Is that what you guys also mean? It also comes through the airpods i have....

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
I have small pops, hisses, only when pausing and resuming youtube or online streamed videos.

But then when I go System Settings - Sound - (Choose Funk Sound effect - Default) and repeatedly press the sound icon i hear a small hizz, popping sound, same as when forwarding and or pausing youtube video.s

Crackle usually refers to the sound in the top video I posted in reply #1329. It sounds kind of like a tearing sound.Pops typically come with the issue though... They're usually short single sounds. Seems to be common when adjusting the volume, and yes I also get them when pausing/unpausing any kind of streaming video.

Riccardo83

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Berlin
Crackle usually refers to the sound in the top video I posted in reply #1329. It sounds kind of like a tearing sound.Pops typically come with the issue though... They're usually short single sounds. Seems to be common when adjusting the volume, and yes I also get them when pausing/unpausing any kind of streaming video.

Does that mean, the pops are normal and that was also the case with the 2016/2017 model?

Does that mean, that my machine is perfectly fine? I do get these pops also with my Airpods external sources?
[doublepost=1550520103][/doublepost]

Secondly.... why does pausing spotify songs and other audio only sources not behave the same way?

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
Does that mean, the pops are normal and that was also the case with the 2016/2017 model?

Does that mean, that my machine is perfectly fine? I do get these pops also with my Airpods external sources?
[doublepost=1550520103][/doublepost]

Secondly.... why does pausing spotify songs and other audio only sources not behave the same way?

Fine's a grey area. :p It's pretty 'normal'. (But I wouldn't call it fine or acceptable that the markets most expensive laptops do this. And definitely not ok that Apple has either ignored the issue or let it fly under the radar.)

Riccardo83

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Berlin
Fine's a grey area. :p It's pretty 'normal'. (But I wouldn't call it fine or acceptable that the markets most expensive laptops do this. And definitely not ok that Apple has either ignored the issue or let it fly under the radar.)

That is true, what i mean is, is every machine affected on this, as in thats the standard we have at the moment?

As i mentioned, i have no issues with sound in spotify, nor have i any issues in the videos above. THE ONLY issue i have is pause, stop and play streaming sources usually such as youtube.

lastly, that noise also appears through my airpods... so it the speakers arent the faulty part here, but what is? and why does pause, stop and resume of youtube videos have it but not spotify audio only?

a graphics card / sound card combination issue?

I will go to an apple store and test the sound on these devices there....

I cant believe I paid almost 5k euros for this machine!

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
lastly, that noise also appears through my airpods... so it the speakers arent the faulty part here, but what is? and why does pause, stop and resume of youtube videos have it but not spotify audio only?

a graphics card / sound card combination issue?

Yeah. I get the exact same issues in headphones that I do in speakers... It's not a "speaker" issue at all. (You really should watch some of the videos I posted. [Not 'promoting myself in any way, that channel is purely a resource...]. I did all kinds of nerdy testing... The extreme issues High Sierra users experience are purely digital, I'm personally convinced that all issues at least partly originate in software, (if not completely.)

I will go to an apple store and test the sound on these devices there....

Do testing at home too and remember you have a 2 week window to return. I've found it's kind of intermittent, doesn't necessarily show up all the time...

Riccardo83

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Berlin
out of 2 weeks window... but if thats a general thing that wouldnt change anything as i need a macbook. mine also is customized so it would take longer to order...

the good in europe is at least we have better customer support than in the us, more protection etc and 2 years warranty by law.

also, i have not found it sporatic.. its been always there, though now that u say i didnt realise it when i purchased it. may that have happened through a software update?

im confused now...

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I don’t know if this is the same issue but I thought I should mention it.

I don’t get the crackle. However, I do get a pop not unlike when I turn on my HiFi amp every once in a while after playing something and then stopping.

For instance, I’ll play a game, quit the game, and maybe 15 seconds later my speakers will pop in that fashion. I don’t do audio stuff anymore so this is the only thing I have to add.

And yes, the Dell XPS line experiences very similar issues to those I see in those videos.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011

I have the same issue on my 2018. I first noticed a popping noise while changing music in the middle of a youtube video playing different music. When I change the music, it makes a split second pop noise intermittently. It doesn't happen all the time but on some music.

But w/ the sound effect under system settings > sound > funk sound and when I click on it repeatedly I get the pop noise consistently. Seems like a speaker issue that was missed by apple engineers forgetting to use filters of some sort.

I'm debating whether I should keep this or return it. Luckily I'm still within my 14-day return period.

Riccardo83

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Berlin
I have the same issue on my 2018. I first noticed a popping noise while changing music in the middle of a youtube video playing different music. When I change the music, it makes a split second pop noise intermittently. It doesn't happen all the time but on some music.

But w/ the sound effect under system settings > sound > funk sound and when I click on it repeatedly I get the pop noise consistently. Seems like a speaker issue that was missed by apple engineers forgetting to use filters of some sort.

I'm debating whether I should keep this or return it. Luckily I'm still within my 14-day return period.

I will go to an apple store and double check... could you please do the same?

Secondly, have you tried using headphones? It happens there too I dont think its a speaker issue since it happens on headphones too.
[doublepost=1551304577][/doublepost]
I don’t know if this is the same issue but I thought I should mention it.

I don’t get the crackle. However, I do get a pop not unlike when I turn on my HiFi amp every once in a while after playing something and then stopping.

For instance, I’ll play a game, quit the game, and maybe 15 seconds later my speakers will pop in that fashion. I don’t do audio stuff anymore so this is the only thing I have to add.

And yes, the Dell XPS line experiences very similar issues to those I see in those videos.

Are you saying on ur 2018 macbook you do not have any issues playing anything youtube videos, stopping them etc. or have u tried the sound effect under system settings > sound > funk sound - press it repeatedly.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I will go to an apple store and double check... could you please do the same?

Secondly, have you tried using headphones? It happens there too I dont think its a speaker issue since it happens on headphones too.
[doublepost=1551304577][/doublepost]

Are you saying on ur 2018 macbook you do not have any issues playing anything youtube videos, stopping them etc. or have u tried the sound effect under system settings > sound > funk sound - press it repeatedly.

I did some tests using my headphones. I've tested on my sennheiser hd800, akg k701, beyerdynamic t1, grado ps1000, denon ah-d7000 and the cheap earphones that came w/ my iphone 5s years ago. They all produce the same pop noises.

But these pop noises are very intermittent. Even when it happens, it doesn't bother me too much. I think I will keep this machine. I haven't experienced any crackling noise so far, so fingers crossed.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Anyone having this? Just saw this and it worries me before I pull the trigger on one of the latest MacBook Pros

Apple’s latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug
Peter Kirn - February 18, 2019
http://cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/

"Apple has a serious, unresolved bug that causes issues with audio performance with external interfaces across all its latest Macs, thanks to the company’s own software and custom security chip.

Following bug reports online, the impacted machines are all the newest computers – those with Apple’s own T2 security chip:
  • iMac Pro
  • Mac mini models introduced in 2018
  • MacBook Air models introduced in 2018
  • MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018
Impacted hardware of this and possibly other bugs includes most external USB 2.0 audio hardware. We have have some reports of issues over FireWire, which initially had seemed like a refuge. Perversely, readers are also reporting widespread issues with Apple’s own internal audio (speakers and headphone jack).

The T2 in Apple’s words “is Apple’s second-generation, custom silicon for Mac. By redesigning and integrating several controllers found in other Mac computers—such as the System Management Controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller—the T2 chip delivers new capabilities to your Mac.”

The problem is, it appears that this new chip has introduced glitches on a wide variety of external audio hardware from across the pro audio industry, thanks to a bug in Apple’s software. Issues with the way the new chip synchronizes timing causes dropouts and glitches in the audio stream. (It seems basically all USB 2.0 audio interfaces will be impacted. This of course unfortunately leads users to blame their interface manufacturer, but the fault lies with Apple.)

Switching off “Set date and time automatically” in System Preferences will reduce, but not resolve the issue. Nebulae aka Abid Hussain, an Ableton Certified trainer, writes in comments:

"Unchecking the time sync only reduces the dropouts. You need to also uncheck the location sync in the Time Zone tab, but even then you’re only reducing the dropouts. Any time the T2 chip tries to sync, it will overload the USB2.0 bus, causing dropouts. There is no way any musician should go on stage with a 2018 [Mac] and a USB2.0 audio interface directly connected to it. The only solutions are 1) Get a Thunderbolt or USB3.0 audio interface, or 2) Use a Certified Thunderbolt 3 powered hub (not a bus-powered or cheap non-certified hub) – Cable Matters has a solution for $169 on Amazon, but most of those hubs are at least $200-300. Using a certified TB3 hub creates a separate external USB2.0 bus, in which you can run your USB2.0 audio interface. The cheap hubs do not work because they don’t run on the TB3 bus, and therefore they don’t create their own separate USB2.0 bus, which means you’re going to get dropouts."

To clarify: all T2-based Macs, that is all Mac models from the 2018 generation, are evidently unusable with USB 2.0 audio interfaces, irrespective of vendor. Audio interfaces using FireWire or Thunderbolt are reportedly unaffected by this particular bug, but USB 2.0 is for the moment the most popular bus for audio devices, so nearly all owners of the new machines are encountering the issue. (There are also some reports that USB3 devices are unaffected, but I can’t confirm that and those devices are rare. Note that even some audio interfaces with USB-C connectors do actually make use of the USB2.0 bus.)

This of course has led some users to simply buy a new Thunderbolt 3 audio interface. But this situation is unacceptable – plenty of standard, inexpensive PCs have no such issues with Thunderbolt and USB audio hardware. Apple has shipped their entire computer line with buggy firmware that renders those machines unusable for the majority of people working with sound (so music, video, and audio production), and have lagged in finding a solution for months after shipping these expensive machines. Not only that, but is anyone clear on what problem the T2 security chip even solves? Apple now loves crowing about its “custom silicon” often without even explaining to us why anyone needs it.

Anyway, for now that’s the set of choices, until Apple ships a comprehensive, tested fix:
1. Mac users on older machines should postpone upgrading.
2. Mac users in the market purchasing a new machine right now should consider a comparable Windows machine.
3. Users stuck with these models should use a Thunderbolt 3 audio interface, adapter, or hub, or attempt to return the computer in favor of an older Mac or new PC.

More:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/anvufc/psa_2018_macs_with_t2_chip_unusable_with_external/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8509051

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138992

https://www.gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1232030-usb-audio-glitches-macbook-pro-2018-a.html

https://openradar.appspot.com/46918065

This represents another serious quality control fumble from Apple. The value proposition with Apple always been that the company’s control over its own hardware, software, and industrial engineering meant a more predictable product. But when Apple botches the quality of its own products and doesn’t test and resolve creative audio and video use cases, that value case quickly flips. You’re sacrificing choice and paying a higher price for a product that’s actually worse.

Apple’s recent Mac line have also come under fire for charging a premium price while sacrificing things users want (like NVIDIA graphics cards, affordable internal storage, or extra ports). And on the new thin MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, keyboard reliability issues.

Some of those mainstream PC vendors do now test with third-party pro audio hardware (I’ve talked to Razer about this, for instance). And that’s to say nothing of vendors like pcaudiolabs who custom-configure each machine for the actual DAWs. Apple clearly has the resources to do the same, and they make a DAW of their own (Logic Pro). This appears to be an issue they could possibly have reproduced and corrected before shipping.

Updated: The 2018 iPad Pro also suffered from audio issues, which appear to be software related. This seems not to have any direct relation to the issue with the Mac line, but is further evidence of some quality control and testing issues involving real-time audio performance and Apple firmware and software.

If you do have one of these machines, let us know if you’ve been having trouble with this issue and if this workaround (hopefully) solves your problem.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone having this? Just saw this and it worries me before I pull the trigger on one of the latest MacBook Pros

Apple’s latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug
Peter Kirn - February 18, 2019
http://cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/

"Apple has a serious, unresolved bug that causes issues with audio performance with external interfaces across all its latest Macs, thanks to the company’s own software and custom security chip.

Following bug reports online, the impacted machines are all the newest computers – those with Apple’s own T2 security chip:
  • iMac Pro
  • Mac mini models introduced in 2018
  • MacBook Air models introduced in 2018
  • MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018
Impacted hardware of this and possibly other bugs includes most external USB 2.0 audio hardware. We have have some reports of issues over FireWire, which initially had seemed like a refuge. Perversely, readers are also reporting widespread issues with Apple’s own internal audio (speakers and headphone jack).

The T2 in Apple’s words “is Apple’s second-generation, custom silicon for Mac. By redesigning and integrating several controllers found in other Mac computers—such as the System Management Controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller—the T2 chip delivers new capabilities to your Mac.”

The problem is, it appears that this new chip has introduced glitches on a wide variety of external audio hardware from across the pro audio industry, thanks to a bug in Apple’s software. Issues with the way the new chip synchronizes timing causes dropouts and glitches in the audio stream. (It seems basically all USB 2.0 audio interfaces will be impacted. This of course unfortunately leads users to blame their interface manufacturer, but the fault lies with Apple.)

Switching off “Set date and time automatically” in System Preferences will reduce, but not resolve the issue. Nebulae aka Abid Hussain, an Ableton Certified trainer, writes in comments:

"Unchecking the time sync only reduces the dropouts. You need to also uncheck the location sync in the Time Zone tab, but even then you’re only reducing the dropouts. Any time the T2 chip tries to sync, it will overload the USB2.0 bus, causing dropouts. There is no way any musician should go on stage with a 2018 [Mac] and a USB2.0 audio interface directly connected to it. The only solutions are 1) Get a Thunderbolt or USB3.0 audio interface, or 2) Use a Certified Thunderbolt 3 powered hub (not a bus-powered or cheap non-certified hub) – Cable Matters has a solution for $169 on Amazon, but most of those hubs are at least $200-300. Using a certified TB3 hub creates a separate external USB2.0 bus, in which you can run your USB2.0 audio interface. The cheap hubs do not work because they don’t run on the TB3 bus, and therefore they don’t create their own separate USB2.0 bus, which means you’re going to get dropouts."

To clarify: all T2-based Macs, that is all Mac models from the 2018 generation, are evidently unusable with USB 2.0 audio interfaces, irrespective of vendor. Audio interfaces using FireWire or Thunderbolt are reportedly unaffected by this particular bug, but USB 2.0 is for the moment the most popular bus for audio devices, so nearly all owners of the new machines are encountering the issue. (There are also some reports that USB3 devices are unaffected, but I can’t confirm that and those devices are rare. Note that even some audio interfaces with USB-C connectors do actually make use of the USB2.0 bus.)

This of course has led some users to simply buy a new Thunderbolt 3 audio interface. But this situation is unacceptable – plenty of standard, inexpensive PCs have no such issues with Thunderbolt and USB audio hardware. Apple has shipped their entire computer line with buggy firmware that renders those machines unusable for the majority of people working with sound (so music, video, and audio production), and have lagged in finding a solution for months after shipping these expensive machines. Not only that, but is anyone clear on what problem the T2 security chip even solves? Apple now loves crowing about its “custom silicon” often without even explaining to us why anyone needs it.

Anyway, for now that’s the set of choices, until Apple ships a comprehensive, tested fix:
1. Mac users on older machines should postpone upgrading.
2. Mac users in the market purchasing a new machine right now should consider a comparable Windows machine.
3. Users stuck with these models should use a Thunderbolt 3 audio interface, adapter, or hub, or attempt to return the computer in favor of an older Mac or new PC.

More:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/anvufc/psa_2018_macs_with_t2_chip_unusable_with_external/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8509051

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138992

https://www.gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1232030-usb-audio-glitches-macbook-pro-2018-a.html

https://openradar.appspot.com/46918065

This represents another serious quality control fumble from Apple. The value proposition with Apple always been that the company’s control over its own hardware, software, and industrial engineering meant a more predictable product. But when Apple botches the quality of its own products and doesn’t test and resolve creative audio and video use cases, that value case quickly flips. You’re sacrificing choice and paying a higher price for a product that’s actually worse.

Apple’s recent Mac line have also come under fire for charging a premium price while sacrificing things users want (like NVIDIA graphics cards, affordable internal storage, or extra ports). And on the new thin MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, keyboard reliability issues.

Some of those mainstream PC vendors do now test with third-party pro audio hardware (I’ve talked to Razer about this, for instance). And that’s to say nothing of vendors like pcaudiolabs who custom-configure each machine for the actual DAWs. Apple clearly has the resources to do the same, and they make a DAW of their own (Logic Pro). This appears to be an issue they could possibly have reproduced and corrected before shipping.

Updated: The 2018 iPad Pro also suffered from audio issues, which appear to be software related. This seems not to have any direct relation to the issue with the Mac line, but is further evidence of some quality control and testing issues involving real-time audio performance and Apple firmware and software.

If you do have one of these machines, let us know if you’ve been having trouble with this issue and if this workaround (hopefully) solves your problem.

I bought a top-of-the-line 15" i9 32GB 1TB SSD Macbook Pro 2018 on Oct. 1st 2018 (one month before the update) for just two reasons...and is why one would desire to spend over $4,000 on a laptop: For FCPX and Logic Pro X....

There has been issues with both audio and video on these machines. Whether it is software or hardware related, it does not matter..

It is embrassing, non-productive to the pro user, and wastes countless hours and money on production.

I had to go back to my volcano heated Mac Pro 2013 to do production work and that model has it issues as well....even for audio work, I had to pull out my reliable macbook pro 2010 so I don't have clicks, pops and drop-outs.

This is TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE rotten apple..

I have been bitting into you (and my money) for quite awhile...and you are leaving a bad taste..

Reactions: Super Spartan1

Riccardo83

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Berlin
Wow, reading all this makes me think that popping noise on streaming videos especially youtube is the least of problems....

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
I sent mine back to them because they requested a device capture. They've had it 2.5wks now, so after a month or so I'll request another update.

Riccardo83

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Berlin
I sent mine back to them because they requested a device capture. They've had it 2.5wks now, so after a month or so I'll request another update.

What do you mean device capture? you will be without a macbook for a month? is this regarding the popping noise on youtube videos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.